Change font size   Print view

Mackie d8b in a hybrid setup

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Mackie d8b in a hybrid setup

Postby Bruce Graham » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:44 am

Thanks Captian! They do help. They were cheap and easy to install!

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:39 pm

Hmm... weird, I just lost what I typed after hitting submit. I'll try to make it shorter ;)

I was thinking about how some of the threads on this forum start out with one topic, and then trail off into other topics, due to some of us just having casual conversations about somewhat unrelated things - with me being the main offender, who does that ;)

I like these conversations, but I think this probably makes it harder for people just reading along, to find answers to the topic a thread started out about (e.g. the "5.1 crack [Done]" thread... really hard to find the relevant info in there by now).

Would it maybe make sense to start a sort of "chit chat" thread, and just refer (or link) to it when having a somewhat unrelated thought?

An example of something that could go in the chit-chat thread, is what I was thinking to respond with to Bruce's and Mike's posts about patchbays, above. I was looking for more info on that matrix-jackfield in that TV studio I had mentioned... couldn't find it, but found what seems to be a more modern take on the "relay-based" patchbay Mike mentioned further up, and that's this:

https://www.flockaudio.com/patchxt

Basically, a computer-controlled patchbay, where you don't move any cables once it's wired up. You'd just make the connections in software, and the patchbay will make the physical connections by itself.

I like the idea, but am happy with my current setup... but I literally hesitated for days to respond, since I didn't want to derail this thread even further...

So, what do you guys think about starting a new chit-chat or casual conversations thread, that we could link to or refer to, when having off topic thoughts that aren't really on-topic for the thread where such an off-topic idea comes up?
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:53 pm

The might be an easier and cheaper way to accomplish this but with sone limited features. You can route the outputs from channels 25-48 to the Bus outputs in either 8 mono or 4 stereo pairs and then route the Bus outputs to an 8 in/out audo interface such as an Apollo 8 or MOTU 8in/out and then into your DAW. record enable each audio track in your DAW and setup a MIDI sync between the d8b and your DAW and hit the your off. Then route 8 outputs fom your DAW back through the audio interface outputs for monitoring. Problem is you are limited to 8 instead of 24, however, think of it as 3 groups of 8.
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby zetell » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:34 am

RJH_MUSIC wrote:.....You can route the outputs from channels 25-48 to the Bus outputs in either 8 mono or 4 stereo pairs and then route the Bus outputs to an 8 in/out audo interface.....Problem is you are limited to 8 instead of 24, however, think of it as 3 groups of 8.

This is the method I ended up using.
As you say, it will have to be done 8 tracks at the time, but that is really no bother. It' an easy operation after each session/song.

I tend to do most tracking on the 2" tape recorder. Only when I feel we have a song ready for mix I dump it over to Cubase for mixing.
Overdubs(if any) are tve done directely into Cubase.
zetell

Previous

Return to d8b Forum