Change font size   Print view

D8b power supply question error 43

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

D8b power supply question error 43

Postby Willb41 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:25 am

Hello all, I’m trying to get some insight into something. I have a Mackie d8b and it started throwing up error 43. I took this to a tech and I’m unsure of their diagnosis. The tech said that “The 12V and 5V supplies in the CPU rack unit are at 3V and 1.5V respectively. The D8B CPU (which supplies power to & operates the DAW for the console) needs a new computer power supply. This is complicated by the fact that a new power supply will need to be modified to fit the specialized power & voltage needs of the D8B.“

This was after they told me to order a 600w computer power supply, which I did. I sent them a link of the one I was going to order and they said ok. When they got it they said that the power supply has a 24 pin connector and the board needed a 20 pin connector and told me to order a new power supply for inside the CPU. I started looking for one and found out 24 pin power supplies are fine to use with 20 pin motherboards and then they said “it doesn't make this power supply compatible. Most computers these days use "soft switching," which is safer and smarter. This unit does not, because Mackie doesn't build computers. Unfortunately this power supply won't allow for hard switching. I can try to modify that as well, but we're getting into darker waters with every additional part of the PSU that I have to mess with.”

I don’t really know what’s going on as they are now saying they want me to find a power supply with “hard switching” or they are quoting about $350 to modify the power supply which I don’t think it’s worth it and they have even said it’s “getting into dark waters” which sounds like not confident in making it happen.

Can anyone give some insight to what they are saying and or insight on if they think I need a new power supply inside the CPU or which one is compatible if so? I’m just not feeling good about this and I could pick up a different entire d8b power box for the cost quoted.
Willb41

Re: D8b power supply question error 43

Postby doktor1360 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:55 am

Willb41 wrote:Hello all, I’m trying to get some insight into something. I have a Mackie d8b and it started throwing up error 43. I took this to a tech and I’m unsure of their diagnosis. The tech said that “The 12V and 5V supplies in the CPU rack unit are at 3V and 1.5V respectively. The D8B CPU (which supplies power to & operates the DAW for the console) needs a new computer power supply. This is complicated by the fact that a new power supply will need to be modified to fit the specialized power & voltage needs of the D8B.“

This was after they told me to order a 600w computer power supply, which I did. I sent them a link of the one I was going to order and they said ok. When they got it they said that the power supply has a 24 pin connector and the board needed a 20 pin connector and told me to order a new power supply for inside the CPU. I started looking for one and found out 24 pin power supplies are fine to use with 20 pin motherboards and then they said “it doesn't make this power supply compatible. Most computers these days use "soft switching," which is safer and smarter. This unit does not, because Mackie doesn't build computers. Unfortunately this power supply won't allow for hard switching. I can try to modify that as well, but we're getting into darker waters with every additional part of the PSU that I have to mess with.”

I don’t really know what’s going on as they are now saying they want me to find a power supply with “hard switching” or they are quoting about $350 to modify the power supply which I don’t think it’s worth it and they have even said it’s “getting into dark waters” which sounds like not confident in making it happen.

Can anyone give some insight to what they are saying and or insight on if they think I need a new power supply inside the CPU or which one is compatible if so? I’m just not feeling good about this and I could pick up a different entire d8b power box for the cost quoted.

Sounds like a buncha psycho-babble to me - pretty easy to cross reference the friggin supply. You'll need an AT-type power supply compatible with the OEM Sparkle SPI-250G. Here's a coupla links:

Want a direct OEM replacement? Here's a link:
https://memoryclearance.com/spi-250g-sparkle-power-inc-power-supply-1314355.html?msclkid=4dda31e2a49a1fb3decb51d5a444b4bd

Or you fit in an upgraded replacement supply:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Power-Supply-AT-for-FSP-SPARKLE-SPI-250G-SPI-250G-B-300-Watt-Upgrade-/282705613954?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

I found both of these with a quick web search. These should be a direct RnR (remove n replace) and get your console up and operational again...

Have fun...
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Willb41 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:08 am

I sent a link of these to the tech and told him it was a remove and replace connection. I noted that it didn’t include any 20pin connection and sent him this Amazon link to the same item with detailed specs and asked him if it was a suitable replacement for our problem. He said:

“The original supply uses an alternate to the 20-pin ATX, so no worries there. The important factor is that it supplies the 12 & 5V, has jumpers for the separate transformer (that's what powers the console) and for the hard switch at the front. I dont see any notes about the jumpers for the transformer, but everything else looks good so we'll have to hope.”

I’m not sure what he’s mentioning with the jumpers and if this unit includes them? When asking more he said

“it's got a crazy hardwired system internally to send AC mains to another power supply system, which then sends power to the mixing console. It's also how it connects to the hard switch. It's wild. I'd think it was way cooler if it wasn't making things so complicated.”

So anyway, this unit suggested will also have jumpers for the transformer? I’m lost here

Here’s the Amazon unit I found
Replacement Power Supply at for FSP Sparkle SPI-250G SPI-250G-B 300 Watt Upgrade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017YE6APS/re ... D0Z22KNZN8
Willb41

Postby Jondav1120 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:48 pm

Hi,

I modified a replacement power supply to work with the D8B power switch, etc a couple of years back.
I think from memory that both old and new motherboards have both AT (2x 6pin plugs) and ATX V1 (1 x 20pin plug). If using the AT plugs make sure that they are plugged in the correct way round (get this wrong and the motherboard is toast) The black wires should be in the centre of the two connectors...see here for an illustration.
If the replacement power supply has a 20pin plug then I'd use that in preference to the 2 x 6pin arrangement (less chance of blowing something up). Theoretically the newer 24pin ATX V2 plug should fit in the 20 pin socket with the spare pins hanging off one end, but my experience with this has been that some other component on the board gets in the way! If a 24pin power supply is the only option then a 24pin plug to 20 pin socket adaptor would be the answer..
As you mentioned the D8B does not use the soft off function of a more modern power supply, instead they (Mackie) used a power supply that took the mains power in through the IEC socket on the back panel, and then immediately sent the power back out of the power supply on two flying leads (live and neutral). On the power supplies that you reference this pair of leads go to one side of the switch and a second pair of leads return from the switch to the power supply. What Mackie did was to remove the flying leads from the switch and take them to a small PCB in the CPU that the front panel switch was wired to. This PCB picked up the two extra mains supplies that were required for the extra power supplies.

Hope you get it sorted.

Regards

John
Jondav1120

Return to d8b Forum