Change font size   Print view

DIO-8 cards: HDR via TDIF / DAW via ADAT choice possible?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

DIO-8 cards: HDR via TDIF / DAW via ADAT choice possible?

Postby Y-my-R » Sat May 08, 2021 4:40 am

I wonder if anybody ever tried what I just thought up:

Is it possible to have a set of 3 DIO-8 cards in the D8B, and another set of 3 DIO-8 cards in an HDR, but set both the D8B and HDR to transfer audio via the TDIF ports on the DIO-8 cards.

... but then also have the ADAT ports on the DIO-8 cards in the D8B, connect to 3 ADAT pairs on the DAW/Computer Audio-Interface.

...and then choose if you want to use the D8B with the DAW, --- or alternatively --- with the HDR. Simply by switching the D8B's DIO-8 cards' setting between ADAT and TDIF after booting up?

I have everything wired to the DAW computer via ADAT right now... but if I could simultaneously wire my HDR to use with the D8B via TDIF and choose to use that instead, just by flipping a setting after startup, then I'd totally do that!

I realize that I'd still have to figure out how to get MIDI sync happening between the D8B/DAW and either simultaneously or alternatively with the D8B/HDR (...but I do have a MIDI Splitter and Merger, so I can probably make something work).

As for Word Clock, I have everything wired to a Separate Word Clock generator, anyway (Lucid GENx192), so that's already syncing to the same clock, anyway.

I think I have enough DIO-8 cards to try it but would have to order a few TDIF/DB25-to-DB25 cables... but if anyone has tried before, it would be good to know if it's worth the effort and price of the cables.

I think in theory it should work, no...? :P
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: DIO-8 cards: HDR via TDIF / DAW via ADAT choice possible

Postby Y-my-R » Sat May 08, 2021 6:44 am

I found a few DB25 cables that I normally use with my DB25-Serial switch, to switch the D8B between Mixer-, or Controller-Operation via a ProBox (...and a few gender changers). So, since that gave me everything I needed to try, I thought I'd just try right away if this whole TDIF->HDR/ADAT-DAW idea is possible.

These DB25-to-DB25 cables work fine as a "Console" cable - I used them for that all the time via that switch.
...but when I try to use them to connect the TDIF-DB25's between the D8B and HDR, and switch all the digital inputs to TDIF on both units and start playback on the HDR, I don't get any signal on the Tape Returns of the D8B.

As soon as I switch the DIO-8's on the D8B back to the ADAT inputs, the signal from the DAW comes in on the Tape Returns, though.

Does TDIF require special cables with a different pin-out or a specific resistance? I was under the impression it's just regular DB25 cables with a 1:1 pinout?
I mean... the cables I used are basically "computer cables" and not Audio-Interconnect cables...

I'll try to do a little more research, but if anybody know if this should work or not, it would still be great to know. Thanks!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Sat May 08, 2021 8:02 am

I'll give up for tonight, but just tried another MDR for troubleshooting - albeit with the same DIO-8 cards (but tried with only one in there and one in the D8B, in case some of these cards don't work right... but it was the same behavior in any configuration).

All the DIO-8 cards I tried have the V2.1 Firmware chip, btw.... I think I have one card with a V1 chip that I could try... maybe that whole phase-flip thing that was fixed for the ADAT connection on the V2 Firmware can cause an issue when trying to use TDIF?

Just for laughs, since I don't have anything else that does TDIF, I hooked up the other end of the TDIF cable that goes to the D8B, to the TDIF port on a Tascam IF-88AE that I somehow have, feed a S/PDIF signal into the Tascam, and set it to output that S/PDIF cable on TDIF channels 1-2. This also didn't arrive at the D8B (and with the DIO-8 the TDIF cable is connected to, set to TDIF, of course).

Long story short... if this is technically supposed to work, then I guess the Console DB25 cables and TDIF cables really MUST have a different pin-out or impedance, since I have 3 such "Console" cables (with gender changers that work for the Console connection via a Serial-Switch) and none of these cables work to transmit TDIF.

...or does anyone actually run an HDR and D8B together via the TDIF connections on DIO-8 cards (without doing anything with the ADAT ports)?

Anyway... sorry for blowing up this forum with this new adventure I'm trying out... but I thought IF I get this to work, maybe others would also like to get a DAW/HDR alternative setup working, via the same DIO-8 cards in the D8B. So, if anybody has any tips, it would be much appreciated!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sat May 08, 2021 3:42 pm

Hey Y My R

For starters, I think what you want to do should work. I have no experience but it sounds solid.

TDIF IS a different pin-out (I think Tascam and Yamaha share the same Pin-out for digital signals), but, I do not think it is a specail cable.'

When I was working we had Tascam DA-88's (Tape based Digtal recording), and they were either Analog In/out, (balanced on 2- db25, or Unbalances on RCA), or TDIF, I/O, on 1- db25). We used what looked like standard db25 computer cable but was marked TDIF as it was not a Pin-to-Pin, 1 to 1 wiring. Don't remember what the pinout is sorry. It is in the d8b manual I think????

I am surprised that , like AES/EBU, TDIF isn't a balanced twisted pair with an impedance at 110 Ohms!?! Maybe over a short distance like 10 to 15 feet (a common length for computer cable), it doesn't matter.

Anyway, you need a special wired cable and if you're going to make them, I would check into what the technical requirements are for TDIF. Might as well do it right the first time. I figured you would check anyway but though I would mention it. :)

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Sat May 08, 2021 6:26 pm

Thank you so much, Bruce!

Yet again, you're spot on! I got too exited about trying this, when I found that I have cables with the right connectors, but then foolishly spent the whole evening without pausing to look up if the pin-out is the same, just hoping for the best.

But as you already pointed out, a few web-searches confirmed this morning, that TDIF-digital cables use a proprietary pin-out, and you can't just use cables with a 1:1 pinout for that. But also as you said, I shouldn't need any specific resistance, like 110 or 75 ohms or something. As long as the pin-out is TDIF-digital conform, it should work.

This forum post on the Sound-on-Sound forum was pretty informative:
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 24&t=67520

...makes me wonder what Roland's "R-BUS" format did for the pin-out, hahaha... I used to have a few R-BUS cables for VM3100 and VM7100 mixers (AWFUL!! Routing and workflows were a nightmare!). It's so ridiculous that everyone decides to wire their cables differently to make them incompatible and sell their own cables. It could all be SO simple!

Anyway, I looked, but don't have materials to make the cables myself, since almost all my cables with DB25 connectors that aren't currently in use, are injection-molded and can't be opened/re-soldered.

I'll look around if I can find a set of TDIF cables used (too lazy and slow at soldering to make them)... new ones are kinda pricey, considering that I'd likely still mostly use my DAW.

So, it will likely take me a little while to get the needed cables at a price that doesn't hurt too much... but once I got them, I'll post back if everything ended up working as it should, once proper TDIF-digital cables are connected.

I did already get the MIDI sync working with a MIDI splitter cable and a merge box, btw. Now DAW/HDR/D8B can all run together in sync (I had it wired like that a few years back, anyway, and that's why I bought the MIDI merge box at the time), but the DAW/D8B and HDR/D8B pairs also sync without all 3 components being on at the same time. So, that's pretty cool, already.

Anyway... thanks very much again, Bruce! I'll post an update once I got proper TDIF-digital cables.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Sun May 09, 2021 4:56 am

Hey Y my R;

Let me see if I have any TDIF cables hanging about. I think I gave my to another d8b Forum member, Carlos, a few years back.

Perhaps I could make up short "adaptors" wired in the TDIF standard then you should be able to use your one-to-one cables as a extention. This would prove your theory. Let me see that I can do. May take a week or so,

Are all ypur db25 cales male-to-male, or do you have any male one end and female the other end? Let me know via a PM if you like.

It would be intersting to see if this works. You have sparked my interest.

Cheers
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby angelotaylor » Thu May 20, 2021 9:54 pm

Very interesting! I will think about this! Thank You, Friends!
angelotaylor

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:54 pm

Quick update for anyone who was reading along:

Bruce, who offered above to make short "regular DB25 (1:1 pinout) to TDIF" adapters to test this, made the first such adapter and sent it to me. THANK YOU AGAIN, BRUCE!!! :D

As described further above, I already had 24 channels wired between my DAW computer's audio interface(s) and my D8B's Tape I/O cards (DIO-8) via ADAT, and this has worked flawlessly for me.

Now I added a TDIF connection between the first such DIO-8 card in the D8B, and the first DIO-8 card in my HDR (while leaving all ADAT connections as they were). This is by using a "computer" DB25 cable (serial/parallel - just because that's the only spare DB25 cable I had) with the adapter Bruce made, to match the TDIF pin-out.
(of course a store-bought TDIF cable would also work... but they're surprisingly expensive, and I didn't want to spend that kind of money before I even know if this whole thing works like this or not).

With audio playing from both, the DAW and the HDR, I was now able to switch the first 8 "Tape Return" inputs on the D8B from what's coming in from the DAW on channels 1-8, to what's coming in from the HDR on channels 1-8, simply by changing the software setting on the D8B under Setup/Digital I/O from ADAT to TDIF (for the first DIO-8 card).

I didn't even have to stop the playback. The audio switched over seamlessly with no clicking or crackling, etc. AWESOME!
I couldn't hear any digital artifacts during playback over TDIF (or ADAT), either - it sounded perfectly clean to me! :)

Of course the DAW computer/interfaces, the D8B and the HDR were all clocked to an external Master Clock unit, so all their digital streams were running in sync.

It was quite the experience to have 8 tracks from one project coming out of the first 8 channels, and 16 more from a completely different project out of channels 9-17, haha! (I didn't transfer stems from the project in the DAW to the HDR just yet, but played back an old rehearsal room band recording on the HDR).

So, the proof of concept was successful! AWESOME!

There's a few things to consider, though:

To use the HDR with the D8B properly, you want the HDR to generate SMPTE and/or MTC (i.e. the stuff that is needed to make the red time code display on the D8B move). Since this won't be coming from the DAW if your intention is to use an HDR as your "tape machine" and leave the DAW computer off, the timecode needs to come from somewhere... and in this case, this would have to be the HDR.

So, if you usually have the HDR set to "Chase Timecode", then you need to turn this off, since the HDR can't simultaneously generate timecode AND sync to incoming timecode. You will also need to turn on "Generate SMPTE" and/or "Generate MTC" in the Sync settings on the HDR.
You have to revert these settings, if you want the HDR follow your DAW's timecode again, of course (not sure who else does this, but I have the HDR run along to the DAW, sometimes).

Another thing is the MIDI wiring for the sync. If you don't want to change the wiring when switching between DAW and HDR operation on the D8B, you'll have to use a MIDI splitter on the MIDI out of the D8B (sending the same signal back to the DAW for MMC control, and also to the HDR, so it knows when to start and stop as well when you push the transport buttons on the D8B), as well as a MIDI merger that funnels the MIDI Out from the HDR and the DAW together, before being sent to the MIDI in on the D8B.

The MIDI wiring didn't function as expected for me just yet, but that's just because I never labeled the cables and have to spend some time sorting that mess out... but if I connect a pair of MIDI cables between the DAW and D8B directly, it works as it should. Same thing, if I instead connect the MIDI cable pair between the HDR and the D8B.

So, I'm more than thrilled that this works, and can't wait to use it with all 24 channels hooked up between my HDR and D8B, in addition (but not used at the same time) to the 24 channels between my DAW and the D8B.

If you're wondering about the use-case, two things come to mind:

Usecase 1. I'm a computer/DAW guy, but find computer screens and mouse/keyboard operation to be an unmusical distraction during tracking (e.g. I'd rather give my full attention to the talent while recording, rather than having my head buried in a computer screen), and also during mixing, where I also mainly want to focus on what I hear, rather than what I see on my computer screens. So, I might just do the tracking via the HDR, leaving my DAW computer off (although I'm sure I'll be missing the semi-automatic comping options modern DAWs have to offer, that I frequently utilize during tracking, already), and afterwards transfer the tracks to my DAW, to get all current options for editing and improvements (plug-ins, pitch and timing correction for vocals, etc. etc.).
Still in the DAW, I'm thinking to then export stems (as if I would get the whole thing mixed by someone else), transfer them back to the HDR, turn the DAW computer off and then mix the entire project with only the D8B and HDR, together with my outboard gear.
I'm not sure yet how practical this is, but I intend to try how far I can get with this, while keeping the D8B and HDR monitors off... so I can focus fully on what I hear, with no visual distractions. (But menu-diving on the D8B might get a bit annoying with the screen off, of course... but at least my D8B/HDR screen (with KVM switch) is off to the side, and thus less distracting for me).
Old-school, just like people did it back in the day with their tape machines, analog mixers, and racks of FX/Dynamics processors :)
I'm already exited about trying this, even though I don't have all the wires to hook it all up, yet :D

Usecase 2: Any current HDR/D8B user, who isn't ready to make a hard switch to use a DAW in place of the HDR, could use this approach to get their feet wet on the DAW side, while being able to switch back to HDR use instantaneously without losing any time.... and while being able to continue working in a familiar fashion with the D8B... just with the audio coming from a DAW, instead. Basically, you get the best of both worlds (as long as you have a total of 6 DIO-8 cards for your D8B and HDR, as well as a DAW computer setup that gives you 3 pairs of ADAT I/O), and can use your studio's entire audio wiring just as it was, with the source of your multi-track audio just coming from somewhere else digitally :)

Almost as if Mackie meant it that way at the time ;)

If you're considering to try this and need to find DIO-8 cards for it, make sure to find "V2" or "v2.1" versions of those cards, though (there's a sticker on the main chip that says so). Older versions of these cards had issues (was it a phase reverse? Or even a 16-bit only issue or something?)

Once I have all the TDIF cables/adapters I need, I think I'll write a step-by-step guide on how to do this, including all the necessary settings and some pictures, etc. But for now, I just wanted to share that the first test worked BEAUTIFULLY, and IMO, this gives the D8B a whole new setup possibility, that blurs the lines between a DAW-based studio and a multi-track "digital tape machine" based studio. With the D8B, you don't have to chose - you get to have both and can switch back and forth.

Yay, D8B!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:18 am

impressive!
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:23 pm

Y-my-R wrote:If you're considering to try this and need to find DIO-8 cards for it, make sure to find "V2" or "v2.1" versions of those cards, though (there's a sticker on the main chip that says so). Older versions of these cards had issues (was it a phase reverse? Or even a 16-bit only issue or something?)

Once I have all the TDIF cables/adapters I need, I think I'll write a step-by-step guide on how to do this, including all the necessary settings and some pictures, etc. But for now, I just wanted to share that the first test worked BEAUTIFULLY, and IMO, this gives the D8B a whole new setup possibility, that blurs the lines between a DAW-based studio and a multi-track "digital tape machine" based studio. With the D8B, you don't have to chose - you get to have both and can switch back and forth.

Interesting... that's something that certainly needed to be pointed out regarding the DIO-8 cards and the versioning. When attempting to implement the solution it would be a real bite in the ass to discover this as you go along. I took real close notice to this point...

I've been interested in building a 500-series channel strip for mixing n mastering and integrate it into the environment in the most efficient manner possible. That's not an issue, per se, with the obvious AIO-8 routing being sort of a defacto 'no brainer'... however while musing over this thread and the channel strip concept, I remembered this piece of gear catching my eye a while back and doing some heavy drooling...

https://www.cranborne-audio.com/500r8

Eight channels of ADAT baked (independently) right into the card cage assembly - USB DAW access enabled... and the wheels started to spin. I've got some ideas, but I also wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone has implemented anything similar... or to get feedback and/or other ideas, problems for mitigation, etc that I might encounter implementing this physically...

Due to circumstances of my own recording environment changing, this is coming at a good time - if there ever was one (LOL)...

Anyone with additional ideas, problems they see or other concerns not considered?

Thanx in advance!
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum