Change font size   Print view

Two stubborn d8b's

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Two stubborn d8b's

Postby Carlo » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:30 am

Dear All,

Its been a long time since i posted something related to the d8b. I hope that you are in good health and you are still using the d8b out there.

recently both my d8b's are out of function and its very frustrating when you have two of them not working.

D8B Mixer 1 problem:
I've been getting a meter freeze instantly when the mixer boots up or few minutes after during usage. I did all the cleaning required and re-seating of ribbon cables and the problem persisted. Few weeks ago i had the plugin communication problem which was then fixed but now its persisting on meter freezes. In this forum someone mentioned that the ribbon cables could get oxidised. What is your suggestions please? The power cables from the power distribution board to the internal cards were cleaned numerous times. The ADATs and APOGEE cards cleaned too. Problem persisted though.

D8B Mixer 2 problem:
Mixer two boots and after few minutes sound is not heard and to top it up the surface LEDs are switch off. Sometimes the mixer sound keeps on working but the surface LED's switch off and the faders will not get response however the software keeps on working. Again this mixer had the ribbon cables re seated and cleaned together with the power cables.

NB: The re seating of the ribbon cables was done on those reachable. The ones underneath were not touched since one needs to unscrew the internal boards to do so.

Your help please is appreciated.
Thanks
Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Two stubborn d8b's

Postby Phil.c » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:18 am

Many years ago, I did many reseats, they worked, but after a time they didn't, I found the problem to be oxidation of the wires on the spikes, I've posted my fix many times since then.

Run your thumb nail into the connector join either side of the cable and back and front, this should lift the ribbon a little off the spikes, put in a few drops of IPA or similar, then squeeze the connector back into place with a pliers.

Check the power connectors, if they are loose when in place, take them off, there's a silver metal strip, push this down hard with a screwdriver, it tightens up the connector.

The problem LED's you have, if it is the ribbons,, you will need to do a strip to get to them, I had to do this once with an unreachable connector.

This usually does the trick providing it's your problem?

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:28 am

Phil.c wrote: put in a few drops of IPA or similar, then squeeze the connector back into place with a pliers.

Phil

Beer goes wonderfully well with the desk :D
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:18 pm

Thanks Phil. Shall i look for particular ribbon cables or all of them?
them?
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:30 pm

All of them that you can get hold of, you never know :)
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:30 pm

Thank you
I dont know but i still love the d8bs and i dont want to replace them.
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:19 am

Carlo wrote:Thank you
I dont know but i still love the d8bs and i dont want to replace them.

Stay with it, man... if you have the console open, just settle in, resign yourself that it needs to be completely cleaned and just spend the time doing it. Once you get over that, unseat any/all ribbon and/or power connectors and burnish the connection ends - both the birdpost connectors (the 'spikes' that Phil refers to) and inside their adjacent cabled end of the ribbon cable with deoxit cleaner. Just take pics of this for your own visual reference as you go along just in case. Then just carefully reseat the cables snuggly one by one, reassembling things as you go along and then close up the console. This should get you to at least where you will know that the internals are cleaned up and that particular little (albeit important!) detail can be removed from the equation. Tightening things (carefully!) as Phil also suggested could be beneficial as well...

Of course, you knew it was coming.. so, here it is:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:17 pm

Its all set. d8b 1 is cleaned and works fine. Will do the same on my second one

Thx guys
Last edited by Carlo on Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:58 pm

Well, there you go, I hope it's the same problem with number 2 :)
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:52 pm

For no 2 I think i have to go under the brain board since this d8b is switching off the surface control leds. I think i have to look at those ribbons from brain board to the 3 sections of the surface.Will see how it goes
Thanks Phil
C
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum