Change font size   Print view

Sticky faders

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Sticky faders

Postby Black Knight » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:18 am

Hey all,
Anyone know of a electronic spray to help with sticky faders? I have 2 desks as midi controllers with probox and 4 of my faders on the second desk stick, anyone know of a spray that can unstick them that won't kill the desk?
Many thanks,

BK
Attachments
20210906_221044.jpg
20210906_221044.jpg (Array MiB) Viewed 1211 times
Black Knight

Re: Sticky faders

Postby Phil.c » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:14 am

Sticky faders are not usually a lubricant issue try a calibration.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:24 pm

Phil.c wrote:Sticky faders are not usually a lubricant issue try a calibration.

Phil's 100% spot-on here... but in the extreme case, you could opt to utilizing something like this sparingly, it would aid in keeping the Alps faders smooth - it would, however, really require removing the board (for proper access) & lubing any fader(s) on the board that are wonky. I remember reading and making a clear mental note in this regard, it was in a thread on a non-related posting in an particular audio-related group somewhere. I was modifying something, and looking around for info regarding some part I was having difficulty procuring... and there it was - the blurb about this product and Alps faders...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CINVA6/?coliid=I1WDN1KW0WYZVI&colid=3O58OVNEU05KU&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I've personally never had to do anything other than calibrate them from the D8B's setup dialog, with the exception of removing and reinstalling an actual failed channel fader. I actually run the calibration on a fairly consistent basis - just for shtz n grinz if nothing better. It takes less than 3 minutes, I can go make coffee and come back and it'll be finished executing... painless if nothing else...

Another suggestion (if not already being applied) is to cover the console interface with a small blanket or linen sheet when not in use... you'd be surprised at what just dust would do to the internals of mechanical parts such as faders [uhg]... it's another item in the list of 'just a good idea' category of things to do...

Of course, you knew it was coming so here it is :
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] = "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Black Knight » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:49 pm

Phil and Doctor thanks so much for the prompt reply. I have run a Calibration test on the faders before and its helped but now and again the faders still seem to need a tap which is why I thought of a "fader Lube". I actually research this and was also recommended this from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1

An actual dedicated fader lubricant. I will let you know how it goes.
By the way Doktor, I live in Rome, GA. Just down the road from you !!!

Best Regards,

BK
Black Knight

Postby Crash » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:41 pm

I would approach any "fader lube" with caution when it comes to motorized faders. I went down this road with the dxb faders, which are a different design than the d8b faders. The faders in the dxb run on a rail and movement is with a motor that sits below the fader assembly, and a string similar to dental floss. These can be lubed by placing a tiny drop of lube on the rail where as the d8b is a different beast. The fader for the d8b is different in that it moves via rubber bands. I would not ever put a spray nozzle in there due to this design and also where the motors are located. You may get some temporary improvement but things may gum up big time down the road. If I were going to try and clean and/or lube the d8b faders, I think I would remove them from the console to do it, so that the precision of cleaning and lubing can be more precise than a blast of spray lube/cleaner.

If you are having an issue where a fader is sticking to the top of the throw between bank switching, I had this happen with my d8b years back. I believe it was channel 6 and I was living with it for quite some time and for some reason I had to do an OS re-install and once I did that, never had the issue again. Don't know why that played a role in the fix...but maybe something to try.

Best of luck on your faders.

PS-I too, throw a moving blanket over my console when not in use to keep the dust out. Did it for the d8b and do it now for the dxb.

Another edit...the stuff I use is F100L which is a needle dispensed lube versus a spray. You have more control going this route. As I recall, this is the stuff that Caig recommended when I reached out to them.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:08 pm

spot on from Crash, Dok and Phil. Also, I ALWAYS cover my d8b when not in use and have never had any fader issues. I keep the studio well balanced on the HVAC side so perhaps that helps.
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:20 pm

Crash wrote:I would approach any "fader lube" with caution when it comes to motorized faders. I went down this road with the dxb faders, which are a different design than the d8b faders. The faders in the dxb run on a rail and movement is with a motor that sits below the fader assembly, and a string similar to dental floss. These can be lubed by placing a tiny drop of lube on the rail where as the d8b is a different beast. The fader for the d8b is different in that it moves via rubber bands. I would not ever put a spray nozzle in there due to this design and also where the motors are located. You may get some temporary improvement but things may gum up big time down the road. If I were going to try and clean and/or lube the d8b faders, I think I would remove them from the console to do it, so that the precision of cleaning and lubing can be more precise than a blast of spray lube/cleaner.

If you are having an issue where a fader is sticking to the top of the throw between bank switching, I had this happen with my d8b years back. I believe it was channel 6 and I was living with it for quite some time and for some reason I had to do an OS re-install and once I did that, never had the issue again. Don't know why that played a role in the fix...but maybe something to try.

Best of luck on your faders.

PS-I too, throw a moving blanket over my console when not in use to keep the dust out. Did it for the d8b and do it now for the dxb.

Another edit...the stuff I use is F100L which is a needle dispensed lube versus a spray. You have more control going this route. As I recall, this is the stuff that Caig recommended when I reached out to them.

Yup... that's why I used the word sparingly in bold text, to stress sparingly. Personally, I use Hoppes #9 gun lubricating oil... it comes with a really fine metallic needle that looks exactly the same as the Caig F100L product. I use it on trems, screws, anything Floyd Rose related - they're reknown for crud build-up and oxidation. That's how they get to be a real PITA stability-wise with all the gunk that builds up on them... but I digress. I'm really in agreement w Crash, it's something I wouldn't do unless it's in the extreme. As I've indicated earlier, the one fader that I did actually have give me trouble I R-n-R'd that because I determined the motor went tits up. Just be careful, because those Alps faders in the D8B are like f'n Hen's Teeth... they're around, but they're not easy to find for sale...

Just keep running the fader calibration utility, too... it's not gonna hurt, and it very well may physically exercise the mechanics involved, mitigating the situation for ya...

Of course "your actual mileage may vary..." - had to be said...

All the best... just think it thru, and you'll make the wise decisions... ;-)
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:13 am

All of the above and bare in mind that some lubricants can stretch rubber bands, also oils is a magnet for dust buildup!
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Black Knight » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:22 am

Many thanks for all your inputs. I'm gonna hold off on the spray for now. Over the next few days I'll run continuous calibrations and then if no joy, open her up and have a good look.

BK
Black Knight

Return to d8b Forum