Change font size   Print view

Can I lock the controls? Because: Studio Cat

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Can I lock the controls? Because: Studio Cat

Postby JoeJoe » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:09 am

My studio cat likes to walk and sleep on the console. Which is nice, however sometimes (most of the times) he manages to mute inputs.

Is there a key combination to lock the console faders and buttons, like a child lock?
JoeJoe

Re: Can I lock the controls? Because: Studio Cat

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:40 am

I'm not aware that it would be possible to simply turn off the controls (but might just not know the desk well enough).

What you could do to achieve the same effect, is to "disconnect" the Console cable (DB25) between the Console and the Rack. For example, by putting a DB25 serial switch between them.

I use a switch like that to switch the desk from Mixer operation to ProBox operation (i.e. like a 24 Channel Mackie Control unit).

The ProBox sends different messages to the display, and things can look a little messy on the display when switching back to Mixer mode. But if you'd have nothing connected on position B of the switch, the D8B's connection to its computer (aka rack unit) would be interrupted, and brought back with no changes, when putting the switch back in the "A" position.

Maybe this is not exactly the type of solution you were looking for, but as a workaround, it would work :)

I have no good ideas how to prevent wet hairballs from dripping into the faders, though, short of always putting something over it ;)
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JoeJoe » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:51 pm

That's a great suggestion! Thank you :) Hahah yeah, so far no hairballs anywhere - luckily. We had a difference of opinion on where to sleep yesterday and it ended with 3 claws firmly embedded into my left ring finger which forced me to take a break from both bass, guitar and piano tracks for a while. ProBox sounds cool I need to look into that!

Have a nice weekend! Thanx again!
JoeJoe

Postby Phil.c » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:22 pm

Easier to just chuck a cover over it!
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum