Change font size   Print view

CPU Host Triage

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

CPU Host Triage

Postby doktor1360 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:08 pm

Mondays... {sighs}

Flip the switch to boot the D8B up this AM, and much to my unpleasant surprise I get no video signal... {'Spidey Sense' began to tingle} and the typical Error 43 on the fluorescent display after timing out. Unconnect the AC cord on the rear of the unit and leave for 5 minutes as I would normally do in the odd event this type of thing would occur. Hrrmmm... no bueno... and rinse/repeat 2-3 times, same results. OK, it's fairly safe to say there's somewhat of a pretty serious issue taking place here.

Triage time... so I removed the host cpu from it's rack home, and carried over to the bench for a deeper look. All the screws get removed, and the case opened for the appropriate access. Nothing unusual detected visually or olfactorily, and it's damn clean, very little in the way of dust, etc... OK, that's no surprise and positive as an initial recon effort. I'm already at a disadvantage tho, short-term, due to the fact I don't have an internal pc speaker available at the moment (go figure, ordered one tho), so this is only gonna actually get so far until the speaker arrives... whatever. I'm kinda pissed at this juncture, so I continue on working out what I can do in the interim. Again, I didn't have a real good feeling about this when I embarked on it and everything that follows essentially confirms what I was thinking. To wit...

First things first, what happens when we have a minimal amount of tech involved to boot... so, I removed the LAN, MIDI cards... essentially everything but the cpu, video card, one DIM of RAM and the floppy emulator... I removed the CF interface for the boot disk from the equation as well. So, it's a bare-bones pc that I should at least under the proper conditions have the ability to access BIOS should the POC test start to execute upon boot. I also placed a volt meter one of the power cables on the motherboard to see what kind of basic voltages are factored in here... flip the switch... same set of circumstances. The meter is reading 5.0VDC dead on for the +5 rail, with 12.12VDC coming from the 12 volt supply... OK, power supply is moved down the list of suspects, for now. So, having pulled my HDR out of it's rack home at the same time I was removing the D8B, I switched the video cards to see if that would potentially be the issue... nope. All the RAM between the D8B n HDR (5 DIM's x Hyundai 128GB PC-100) was also cycled (remove/reinstall/reboot) and nothing changed the results. That points me directly at the Celeron CPU and/or the motherboard itself... and I'm leaning towards the motherboard. However, that's nothing more than an educated guesstimate without having the ability to confirm/condemn things with the hardware codes that will inevitably be barked back thru the speaker. Either way, it's obviously far from ideal but I'll eat the elephant pragmatically one byte at a time til I get things mitigated. Does anyone have anything to add here while I pump the brakes on this until that internal speaker arrives? Just curious really, I'm fully aware I can realistically only do so much with any certainty without that diagnostic tool... :geek:

Yes indeed, I know, this sux... but it is what it is at this stage of the game... :ugeek:

Thanx in advance, y'all...
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: CPU Host Triage

Postby Jondav1120 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:07 am

Hi Doc,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems. If you need a source of the newer motherboards there appears to be some available here.

Best regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby doktor1360 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:41 am

Jondav1120 wrote:Hi Doc,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems. If you need a source of the newer motherboards there appears to be some available here.

Best regards

John

Hey... thanx John. I happened to pick up on that site a while back from a thread here somewhere on the forum, and thankfully saved the URL. Now by you citing it, it should definitely make it show up in searches here, probably for the internet search engines as well...

Still gratefully appreciate the heads-up, man...

\m/ ;)
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:52 am

this really sucks doktor1360, not sure what more I can suggest but these guys (Steve has been my contact in the past) are great if you need to bounce ideas....http://www.sxproaudio.com/
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:06 am

captainamerica wrote:this really sucks doktor1360, not sure what more I can suggest but these guys (Steve has been my contact in the past) are great if you need to bounce ideas....http://www.sxproaudio.com/

From everything I've seen Capt A, SX Pro Audio is dissolved as a business - it appears the corp business registration was brought current for the purpose of dissolution... but I could be wrong and stand corrected provided they're still operational.

Either way, I could easily fix this if I knew exactly what was wrong... but that's gonna have to wait until I get that pc speaker. I'll know exactly what has to be done within 5 minutes or so of when I actually get my hands on that. I'm prepared for a motherboard swap, it sux but nothing ever goes 100% to plan. Inevitability? Perhaps... but that's just kinda splitting hairs... hardware physically wears out, it's not a question of 'if', but 'when' - it appears this motherboard has exceeded it's duty cycle. However, when this D8B gets buttoned back up and placed back in it's rack home, I don't expect to have to touch it again for a good while... ;)

I may even get an additional mobo early '22 just to have it in-house as a spare/replacement on-hand, my HDR is long in the tooth, too. Insurance as it were...

Thanx for chiming in tho man... appreciate it and kind words...

Peace
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:41 pm

Hmmm, I did chat with Steve a few months back and I know they were setting things up again? You could always try calling them if you run into any roadblocks.

Keep us posted on how things are progressing Dok
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:22 pm

captainamerica wrote:Hmmm, I did chat with Steve a few months back and I know they were setting things up again? You could always try calling them if you run into any roadblocks.

Keep us posted on how things are progressing Dok

That's actually kinda nice to know man, good information... first hand information - I have no reason to doubt what you're saying. Maybe they've relocated or something, and haven't addressed their website with updates. That site url serves up fine, however when you look at the site's map feature, it redirects to a google map. If the 'street view' images are selected for viewing, their company sign isn't on the '1104' suite when zooming on the actual location anymore (it once was)... and there doesn't appear to be any sort of activity relative to a brick-n-mortar biz... but it certainly wouldn't be the first time I'm incorrect, nor the last - and I certainly stand corrected in either case. Just some observational type stuff, tho...

I may ring 'em up just to check on what parts n stuff, if anything, they have in inventory. I've given thought myself to start amassing some of this gear, and keep an open supply line for the hard-core users among us... a D8B/HDR 'pusher' as it were... :lol:

These kinda things highlight potentially how tenuous this all is in maintaining the hardware of the platform. I also think there's a reason we all use this gear, and we still see new users hopping aboard the bus... more frequently than I'd have ever thought. Go figure...

Thanx again, Capt A... appreciate it... \m/ ;)
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:23 pm

There is a CB50-BX which is the newer motherboard listed on e-bay as we speak for $395.

RJ
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:29 pm

RJH_MUSIC wrote:There is a CB50-BX which is the newer motherboard listed on e-bay as we speak for $395.

RJ

I saw that, RJ... steep price, considering that it's not 'buying' much bang for the buck. The equivalent board from Loud in Europe is ~ $175USD or less in comparison... and it's also a brand-spanking-new, OEM in the box; the eBay unit appears to be an open box sale, albeit 'newer'. It's absolutely a consideration @ face value, but in truth it's at the bottom of the list for me personally just due to the outlay and both boards being essentially identical as far as addressing the D8B/HDR's of the world...

Thanx tho, man... appreciated. I'm gonna get this all worked out come hell, wild horses, high water, petulance... whatever comes my way... ;)
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:56 am

OK, I can't stand it...

I received the internal pc speaker for the cpu host in the mail. Yesterday, I quickly cleaned (minor dusting) the inside of 3U host server box and reinstalled the video card, 256MB RAM and CF interface (boot disk)... just so when I got the speaker I could go right work figuring out what system is complaining about when booting. So, I get said internal pc speaker for diagnostics placed over the provided bird post jumper to boot up the machine. Check everything out, and insert the AC plug into the rear of the case... flip the 'on' switch...

Beep... starts to boot... <Delete> takes me to BIOS. Hrrmmm... OK, so doing a quick visual recon it appears the cpu hasn't lost a single byte relative to the configs, bueno... so, I exit the BIOS utility (not saving when prompted) and the damn thing begins to boot the Mackie OS... and I'm sitting in this chair thinking to myself "self, what in the actual blue f*ck just happened here?!?" I'm honestly waiting for Rod Serling to walk out of the woodwork here, y'all...

I'm gonna grab something to eat, and quickly put this all back together to test it... cause I got my Rosendahl word clock today, too... ;-)

If anyone has any input on this strangeness or similar activity, I'm all ears... but right now, I'm hungrier tho... :D

To be continued...
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum