Change font size   Print view

D8B died

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8B died

Postby pino68 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:26 pm

Hi Phil.c you had helped me some time ago. Thank you
I installed Mackie V5.1 and related plugins, everything works well but at some point the mixer turned on but as if it were frozen ... I continue to listen to the sounds but I can't do anything is as if it were turned off, but not it's off. Sorry but there is Google that helps me translate, unfortunately, perhaps, I don't explain to me well.
pino68

Postby pino68 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:29 pm

I forgot, I also put the crack (Mackieos.exe) what I was recommended to me, done everything, but the D8B continues to do what I described to you
pino68

Postby doktor1360 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:21 pm

pino68 wrote:Hi Phil.c you had helped me some time ago. Thank you
I installed Mackie V5.1 and related plugins, everything works well but at some point the mixer turned on but as if it were frozen ... I continue to listen to the sounds but I can't do anything is as if it were turned off, but not it's off. Sorry but there is Google that helps me translate, unfortunately, perhaps, I don't explain to me well.

Again - Serial Communications via the DB25 data cable between the cpu/host and console...

"everything works well but at some point the mixer turned on but as if it were frozen"

IF I'm reading this correctly, booting the D8B up causes random freezing of the interface that cannot be repeated... SERIAL COMMUNICATIONS. It's a symptom... of what, I've never been able to determine this myself, but something (hardware, software) is locking things up... and yes, I've had this happen to me - recently as well. I rebooted and the problem never returned. IF you keep experiencing the same issue repeatedly, reinstalling the operating system is a good place to start...

I don't know what to add at this juncture, but I have the underlying sense that this isn't as big of an issue as it seems. What it ultimately proves to be would be anyone's guess. However, you have a working console, a working CPU with SOFTWARE that randomly hangs and/or causes issues after you install it... it's easy enuff to do the math here, start with the OS installation... review EVERY step in your administrative process... that's the best I can do, man...

All the best with it...
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:36 pm

As stated, it sounds like a communication problem, I've mentioned this a few times as it has happened to me...sometimes it's not good enough just re-seating the ribbon connectors...you have to lift them off their spikes, drop in some cleaning solution and then squeeze them back with pliers, I have had occasions were I've just reseated and the problem was still there?

Also, the power connectors need to be a tight fit.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:17 pm

Phil.c wrote:As stated, it sounds like a communication problem, I've mentioned this a few times as it has happened to me...sometimes it's not good enough just re-seating the ribbon connectors...you have to lift them off their spikes, drop in some cleaning solution and then squeeze them back with pliers, I have had occasions were I've just reseated and the problem was still there?

Also, the power connectors need to be a tight fit.

Agree with Phil.C - everything must be considered and mitigated, including the periodic maintenance he mentions. These are older, mercurial pieces of tech - keep that in mind. It's not a modern-day pc, it's a Celeron CPU at it's heartbeat - a budget, scaled back Pentium IV by Intel Corp, and the ancillary hardware to go with it...

Just stay with it, and test and verify everything... and I mean everything... from hardware to software, and all the subsequent administrative processes therein... a complete end-to-end mitigation effort...

\m/ :ugeek:
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:46 am

error
Last edited by pino68 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
pino68

Postby pino68 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:50 am

A last question: How can I insert a file on the floppy emulator to format before installing the V5.1 system?
That is, how can I write to the "tools.ini" file to store it on the floppy?
pino68

Postby pino68 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:59 am

I did everything you advised me, unfortunately I can't solve ... it turns on and up everything but after 10/20 seconds go to the freeze, I don't know what to do anymore ...
pino68

Postby doktor1360 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:12 am

pino68 wrote:A last question: How can I insert a file on the floppy emulator to format before installing the V5.1 system?
That is, how can I write to the "tools.ini" file to store it on the floppy?

If I recall correctly, just open the 'image' of the disk on the emulator that contains the 'tools.ini' file (mackie floppy disk #1 I believe, with the MackieOS.exe on it)... overwrite it (or edit the file and add the format line), and don't forget to save things in the emulator app when you're done!. Example:

USB
[0] - Mackie Installation Disk #1
[1] - Mackie Installation Disk #2
[2] - Mackie Installation Disk #3

As a quick overview, just use the floppy emulator software to open, edit, add, delete... whatever, to any virtual usb floppy image [0-99]... and just save your work when done. Hopefully, this makes sense...

Really good to hear you're up n operational, nice effort... well done!

Kudos!

\m/ :mrgreen:
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:48 am

pino68 wrote:I did everything you advised me, unfortunately I can't solve ... it turns on and up everything but after 10/20 seconds go to the freeze, I don't know what to do anymore ...

Thanks Doktor1360.
Now I have to solve this problem, I don't know what to do anymore ...
pino68

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum