Change font size   Print view

D8B died

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8B died

Postby doktor1360 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:44 am

pino68 wrote:
pino68 wrote:I did everything you advised me, unfortunately I can't solve ... it turns on and up everything but after 10/20 seconds go to the freeze, I don't know what to do anymore ...

Thanks Doktor1360.
Now I have to solve this problem, I don't know what to do anymore ...

Serial communications... reinstalling the operating system is probably what you're looking at...

But before you do that, unplug the AC cord from the back of the cpu/host so there's no electricity present in the unit whatsoever - maybe even disconnect the BFC and DB25 data cables... then walk away for 10-15 minutes and get something to eat and/or drink. When you return, plug the AC and any/all cabling back in and reboot...
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:47 pm

Hi Doktor, I did everything you told me ... I can't try why I know how to install on the CF card (I bought everything and installed all hardware components, now there's no more HD but the CF card ) The system because at startup I read the cf but then it crashes and I can't do anything ...it doesn't let me start the usb where there are the files for installation ...
pino68

Postby pino68 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:07 pm

Schermata 2022-01-07 alle 18.05.17.png
Schermata 2022-01-07 alle 18.05.17.png (Array KiB) Viewed 506 times

Block on this screen
pino68

Postby pino68 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:09 pm

Last question: How to install the system on the CF card? Do you need to format it?
pino68

Postby doktor1360 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:47 pm

pino68 wrote:Last question: How to install the system on the CF card? Do you need to format it?

Nope... I generally use FDISK to delete any partitioning, and then the drive card is 'ready' for install as a default - it's blank. The installer is gonna do all the partitioning...

Hope this is helpful...

\m/ ;)
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:01 pm

The problem is that I don't start the usb emulator where I installed mdos boot ... because it doesn't go ahead and remains stuck on that screen I posted
pino68

Postby doktor1360 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:24 pm

pino68 wrote:The problem is that I don't start the usb emulator where I installed mdos boot ... because it doesn't go ahead and remains stuck on that screen I posted

It looks as if you don't have a blank cf card... the operating system, when it boots detects the i/o drive array. So the card is being recognized... that's clearly evident. I do notice you're using a 32GB card which may be stretching the limits of the installer, the OS doesn't use any more than 4GB when the installer runs and completes - that may be an issue as well. It's an older BIOS, I would definitely attempt this again using a cf card with reduced capacity. Try a blank 4GB card... cheap, and available everywhere... they've never failed me in a D8B - I've used 8GB cards but it's a waste of $$$. You can, however, use a 32GB cf disk to boot an HDR if you have one... difference in the BIOS code of the boards/products...

I'd reduce the system RAM as well, the D8B only uses 256MB max... that could theoretically also present some problems...

As always, for transparency purposes...
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:01 am

I just recently cloned my 16GB D8B CF card to a 32GB CF card, and tried if it boots up and works with that. It does. So, I don't think the 32GB CF is the problem.

Personally, I don't like installing from floppy (or an emulator in this case), so I only did this once when I first got the D8B, and made an image from that, that I keep on the computer. If something fails, I just play that image back onto the D8B boot drive, rather than going through that floppy-install procedure.
(And I finally moved the CF card to the back panel, so I don't have to open the rack case every time to pull the CF card (or drive) out of there).

The only trouble is, that only those backup/clone applications will work for that, that make an exact copy of the drive, including the boot sector and everything. What I have been using for this purpose most of the time, is "Clonezilla" - but if you're not familiar with this kind of app, you could mess things up pretty badly when making a mistake (e.g. erasing your windows boot drive or similar).

Another app that surprised me that still works for that as well, is an ancient version of Norton Ghost, that I still had on a D8B computer that I use as a Win98 computer (b/c it has ISA slots and I have an old ISA sound card in that one).
So, if you happen to have an ancient copy of Norton Ghost and an old OS it runs on, this would in my opinion be the easiest way to copy the D8B boot drive (including the boot sector), in a way where the clone can boot directly.

If I recall correctly, there are also some drive-cloning instructions (and maybe even the drive image?!?) somewhere in the database, while recommending a trial app for Windows. That works, too, and I did that once, but then the trial expired, so I went back to those "free" solutions (i.e. Clonezilla or Ghost... well, Ghost is only "free" because I had a license since the 90s).

What I didn't quite understand about Pino's latest problem description was, though, that it sounds as if the D8B fully booted, was usable for a few seconds, and then locked up hard. That doesn't sound like an authorization issue to me (but still could be one).
It's still a good idea to re-install the OS, of course - hopefully it's just a software issue... if not, I guess it'll be necessary to roll this up again from the beginning... but let's cross that bridge when (if) we get there.

Do you happen to have a backup of the D8B system drive that you could clone, Pino68? If not, don't worry... just thought it might be another way around having to deal with that dreaded floppy-based installation.

In the meantime, best of luck!

(I still want to stay out of this for the most part, to avoid a sort of "too many cooks" situation).
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:42 am

Just a question, if the standard D8B/HDR Hard Drive is put into a docking device and copied to a PC, can that file be just copied onto a CF card and will the card work the same as the HD?
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:39 pm

"I do notice you're using a 32GB card which may be stretching the limits of the installer, the OS doesn't use any more than 4GB when the installer runs and completes" - Doktor1360 is right, this might be a problem
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum