Change font size   Print view

D8B died

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

D8B died

Postby pino68 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:07 am

Help. My D8B lights up normally works for about a minute and then stays on but nothing can be done, all the functions are deactivated or I don't know and so I can't do absolutely nothing. The sound continues to get out of the channels but it is not possible to adjust any parameter ... some good soul can help me? D8B died...Thank you
pino68

Re: D8B died

Postby Phil.c » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:13 am

I would reseat the big connector first, if that doesn't work I would reseat all the ribbon connectors.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:05 pm

Phil is correct, start with "I would reseat the big connector first, if that doesn't work I would reseat all the ribbon connectors" and check this great resource https://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:32 am

If you get past the steps of cleaning inside the console, and still have everything freezing up on ya... I'm gonna stick my neck out and posit that most likely it's gonna be some sort of anomaly in the serial communications between the console and host unit (DB25 data cable conduit). I've had this happen to me personally, just recently during a boondoggle of my own.

Ultimately, I just backed up to Square One... blanked the install media (the hard disk, or compact flash card in my case) w FDISK, and installed the drive back into the D8B host cpu. I then placed the USB media containing the install into the emulator and booted up. I proceeded to install the Mackie OS v5.1 operating system, reboot to install the Plugin Service Pack 3 release and rebooted again. When the interface finally came up and displayed, I got a "one moment please..." message in the fluoro-display and then FROZE... HARD. I simply turned off the D8B for a few moments, rebooted and it came right back up again... this time requesting authorization. At which time, I shut things down, removed the compact flash card and loaded it (mounted it) in my Linux workstation with a usb 6-in-1 media card reader. At this point, I brought the file system up in Dolphin (file manager app), deleted the 'MackieOS.EXE' and replaced it with the forked file that mitigates all the authorization function subset. I then placed the cf card back into the reader in the cpu host, booted the hardware and up came the D8B v5.1 operating system, fully authorized and ready to play ball...

Personally, I think your desk and cpu host (hardware) are not the issue... as this operating system can, and has, proven to be somewhat problematic at times. One thing, I think, that most here either forget or really don't have any reference to is that this is Windows 95 SP1 at the kernel... and Micro$oft'$ first implementation of the dreaded Windows Registry. If you know anything about that system management layer, you just shivered in fear a little. I'm not about to start into a discussion on the Registry, but ONE BYTE in an operating system key:value pair deep in an arcane system dependent hive somewhere within can send the whole OS tumbling... like dominoes. The Mackie operating system is then really no exception, for obvious reasons. I know this because I was a large system client/server developer on the platform for many years... and Micro$oft would break our code every 6-18 months with a new release of their DotNET garbage... but I digress...

Review your installation process, and if all else fails... just blank the disk and reinstall the os & service pack... rinse/repeat...

As always, for transparency, here it is:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:13 pm

Thanks tomorrow I try, then I keep you informed
pino68

Postby pino68 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:54 pm

I can't put the downloaded files (Disk 1, Disk2, Disk3) of the 5.1 on the emulator i
I downloaded USB floppy manager, installed on the PC, formatted a USB stick and I got 100 floppy (00,01,02,03,04,05, etc.) ... At this point I can't put a file on each floppy. .. example: 00 = disk 1 v.5.1 / 01 = disk 2 v.5.1 etc ... I don't know how to do because the emulator only accepts img files and I downloaded only exe files, so how do I insert the file image? to unpaffinate it?
pino68

Postby doktor1360 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:18 am

pino68 wrote:I can't put the downloaded files (Disk 1, Disk2, Disk3) of the 5.1 on the emulator i
I downloaded USB floppy manager, installed on the PC, formatted a USB stick and I got 100 floppy (00,01,02,03,04,05, etc.) ... At this point I can't put a file on each floppy. .. example: 00 = disk 1 v.5.1 / 01 = disk 2 v.5.1 etc ... I don't know how to do because the emulator only accepts img files and I downloaded only exe files, so how do I insert the file image? to unpaffinate it?

Having difficulty understanding this, but by the gist of things it seems this might be very helpful:

http://www.d8bforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1376&start=10#p12455

I would think this should at least help you confirm what you may have already done, at minimum...
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:28 am

When you boot up, what version is showing ie v3 etc because the way I understand your first post, it boots with a version but just doesn't operate?
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:19 pm

pino68 wrote:Help. My D8B lights up normally works for about a minute and then stays on but nothing can be done, all the functions are deactivated or I don't know and so I can't do absolutely nothing. The sound continues to get out of the channels but it is not possible to adjust any parameter ... some good soul can help me? D8B died...Thank you

It is to this problem that I can't find a solution
pino68

Postby pino68 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:20 pm

OK Doctor1360. I had already done everything as explained in the link you entered me, the only thing was that I could not convert the exe file in ima format ... now I understand. thank you
pino68

Next

Return to d8b Forum