Change font size   Print view

D8B died

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8B died

Postby pino68 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:08 am

I can't attach the images, however I do all this: format- install the three files (three floppy on the emulator) - it started to the third warns me (D8B display): "Memory Extraction Error. Contact Tech Support."
pino68

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:57 pm

Thanks, Pino - to set expectations, though:
My intention right now is, to get the Mackie OS to boot up on your D8B again, as a first step. You will most likely still have the problem where the D8B will stop working after a few seconds, after that. But we'll need to reach that point again, so we can hone down on what is causing that lock-up.
(And as RJH_MUSIC pointed out - there's a probability that the lock-up is caused by a hardware issue. But again, let's get the D8B to boot up again first, so we are in a good place to continue to troubleshoot).

First of all, do NOT change any jumpers on the motherboard or on the harddrive. It's not the same kind of "clearing".

The "clear" jumper on the motherboard, clears your BIOS settings. If you ever moved that jumper to the other position and turned the D8B on, you'll have to re-do all your BIOS settings (...not just check them. If you changed the jumper, there WILL be differences in the BIOS that need to be corrected).

As far as formatting the harddrive (or CF card) via that "format:on" option... if the formatting fails, we cannot continue. We NEED to get this step working, or there's no point in trying to let the installer copy files to the "unformatted" disk. You'll just get the same "Volume not boot patched" error, if you do.

So, we'll need to figure out what's going wrong during the formatting process, first. Which CF card did you try to format this way? The 32GB card or the 4GB card?
If you haven't tried yet, please try with the 4GB card (...as mentioned in an earlier post, it is possible that the installer can't deal with 32GB CF cards... such a large card CAN be used if the data is put on there by cloning... but this would make things more complicated right now. So, let's try to format the 4GB card first (...once we got the Mackie OS installed on that, we can always clone it as a backup, and to restore it to the 32GB card, so you always have a backup ready to put into the D8B).

Where there any error messages during the process? What is the EXACT message when the formatting fails?

Anyway... we absolutely need to make the formatting step a success, before we can continue to try to install the OS. So, let's focus on that first.

Best of luck!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:06 pm

...oh, and for your last post about the "Memory Extraction Error"...

When exactly do you get that? When installing the OS from the floppy discs to the harddrive?

Or do you get that when trying to create floppy installation discs from downloaded disc images?

...or to ask in a different way: You do have floppy discs (or disc images for use with the emulator), that allow you to boot the D8B and get that "format?" prompt, right?

...or are you stuck on a different step, such as trying to extract the downloaded floppy disc images to physical floppy discs (or make new disc images out of them for use with the floppy emulator)?
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:18 pm

I looked backwards in the thread a little bit, and found this:

I can't put the downloaded files (Disk 1, Disk2, Disk3) of the 5.1 on the emulator i
I downloaded USB floppy manager, installed on the PC, formatted a USB stick and I got 100 floppy (00,01,02,03,04,05, etc.) ... At this point I can't put a file on each floppy. .. example: 00 = disk 1 v.5.1 / 01 = disk 2 v.5.1 etc ... I don't know how to do because the emulator only accepts img files and I downloaded only exe files, so how do I insert the file image? to unpaffinate it?

What are the files called, that you'e trying to copy to the floppy discs? Are these the names, by any chance?

d8b51_build445_disk1.exe
d8b51_build445_disk2.exe
d8b51_build445_disk3.exe

If so, do NOT copy these files to the floppy discs directly. You need to run/execute these files and have a floppy disc in the drive (or a virtual floppy mounted in the floppy emulator) - then the extraction programs I mentioned above, will extract the files that are needed for installation, to the inserted floppy disk (or virtual floppy disk).

It will NOT Work to copy these files to the floppy discs directly. What's packed inside of these 3 .exe files, is what needs to be extracted to the floppy discs (...and after that, the first such floppy disc should have a tools.ini file on it, that you can add the "format:on" line to (without the quotes).

Anyway, please let me know where you're at, and if you were able to extract the content of these 3 files to (virtual) floppy disks. That needs to be done, before we can move to the next step.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:53 pm

As usual you are unique !!! Thank you for your valuable advice!
Finally I managed to format and install all the D8B versions on the CF ... I succeeded only after removing the CLEAR CMOS motherboard jumper, I removed it and no longer put it back.
In this way I managed to make all the steps necessary to install from emulator, version 5.1 of the D8B.
Everything ok, successful installation.
The only problem is that after a few seconds it freezes and therefore no function is available, only audio listening and enough ...

The files
D8B51_Build445_disk1.exe
D8B51_Build445_disk2.exe
D8B51_Build445_Disk3.exe
they are the ones I put on the emulator and from this I installed the system on the d8b
pino68

Postby pino68 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:58 pm

I managed to format and install on 8 GB CF and then on a 32GB from all the D8B versions ... I remind you, this only after removing the CLEAR CMOS motherboard jumper, I removed it and no longer put it back.
pino68

Postby Y-my-R » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:57 pm

Great to hear you were able to install the Mackie OS to your CF cards, and can boot the D8B again, awesome!

As for the CLEAR CMOS jumper - this is what that is and how it works:

The CLEAR CMOS jumper has 3 pins. This means that a jumper can be put over the first two pins, or over the 2nd and 3rd pin.
When the jumper is in it's default/original position, it does nothing. Removing the jumper, or having it in the original position is the same thing. The pins are not connected and no contact is made. Basically, the "disconnected" jumper position only exists, to have somewhere to "park" that jumper when it's inactive.

The way to use that jumper, is to place it over the other pair of pins, and then turn the D8B on - but only for a moment.

The D8B will NOT be able to start up with the jumper in the "CMOS CLEAR = ON" position. You only turn the D8B on form a moment, to supply power to the mainboard... but once you do this, ALL the BIOS settings are reset to their default factory values.

After you turn the D8B off and remove the jumper again (or move it back over the 2 pins it was originally on), the BIOS settings will be WRONG for the D8B. You will have to go into the BIOS and re-do the settings.

...and if you EVER had that jumper on the "ON" position, your BIOS settings WILL be wrong. This could be the cause of the lock-up (...but it's still possible that it will turn out to be a hardware problem. But let's double-check the BIOS, first).

I know you said before that you double-checked the BIOS settings... but considering how important it is to have those set correctly, please spend a few minutes on each of the BIOS pages to compare each setting REAAAAAAAAAALLY carefully. A single deviating setting in the BIOS, might already be the reason why the D8B locks up.

There's two different kinds of mainboards that were installed from the factory in the D8B. The "old" type and the "newer" type. Please look here, to figure out which mainboard you have:

https://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html#Post14

Depending on the mainboard you have, please use either of the following links to check your BIOS settings:

Old Mainboard:
https://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/files/d8b_old_mb_bios.pdf

Newer Mainboard:
https://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/files/hdr_ ... b_bios.pdf

If there's anything that doesn't look right, or if you can't find a setting, please mention it here, so we can sort that out. I just want to make sure that we don't continue troubleshooting and you start spending money on hardware that might have gone bad, if it would just be a wrong setting in the BIOS, somehow. So, be REALLY careful when you double-check these settings and change them to what it should be.

Let's see if the D8B still locks up after that. If so, I'd need to know exactly how this happens... but let's try first if the BIOS settings might have anything to do with the lock-up, again.

Best of luck, Pino!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:36 pm

Thanks tomorrow I try and then place
pino68

Postby captainamerica » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:42 am

good debugging y-my-R...good luck pino68
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:58 pm

unfortunately it continues to freeze ... everything is fine, it starts well and everything works ... but only for 10/20 seconds ...
pino68

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum