Change font size   Print view

D8B died

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8B died

Postby Y-my-R » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:33 pm

OK, too bad. I'll need to understand more clearly what exactly still works and what doesn't, when it "freezes."

Couple of questions:
1. Does the mouse and keyboard on the D8B's computer monitor still work? Can you open menus, etc? Can you still move the faders on the display and do they do anything to the audio passing through the D8B?
2. What exactly is going on on the D8B console? The Rude Solo light is on... are all other LEDs off, or in the same state as before, when the console was still working for a few seconds? What about the text display in the upper right of the D8B console, what does it say when it's frozen?

Also, in case you have the computer case open... does the CPU fan spin?

It might all still point to a power supply problem, as RJH_MUSIC pointed out... but let's exclude all other possibilities, first.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:28 am

Y-my-R wrote:OK, too bad. I'll need to understand more clearly what exactly still works and what doesn't, when it "freezes."

Couple of questions:
1. Does the mouse and keyboard on the D8B's computer monitor still work? Can you open menus, etc? Can you still move the faders on the display and do they do anything to the audio passing through the D8B?

1) The mouse and keyboard work. Yes, I can open the menu.
The faders on the display do not move. That is, if I move manually on the mixer, they do not respond to the monitor or vice versa. No, the audio that passes through the D8B is not altered, it always remains the same and does not respond.
pino68

Postby pino68 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:29 am

Y-my-R wrote:2. What exactly is going on on the D8B console? The Rude Solo light is on... are all other LEDs off, or in the same state as before, when the console was still working for a few seconds? What about the text display in the upper right of the D8B console, what does it say when it's frozen?

2) On the Consol it is all turned off and only the rude warning light is only turned on, the other LEDs are all turned off.
pino68

Postby pino68 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:30 am

Y-my-R wrote:
Also, in case you have the computer case open... does the CPU fan spin?

3) When the display is locked at the top right remains lit.The CPU fan continues to turn.
pino68

Postby Y-my-R » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:38 am

Sorry, but once again to confirm:

The D8B console lights up normally for maybe 20-30 seconds and the faders respond, before all the lights turn off and only the Rude Solo light stays on?

If so, it's getting more and more likely that it's a power supply issue, as suggested by RJH_MUSIC.

Before that, though - to still eliminate possible other causes, I'd try this next:

Shut the D8B down, and remove all I/O cards and all DSP cards. Re-seat the clock card and the even the Digital I/O card (with the S/PDIF I/O on it).

Try to power the D8B on again after that (with only the clock card and the S/PDIF+AES card installed).

Does it still lock up after a few seconds after bootup?

Depending on how you routed audio into the console before, you won't have audio in this configuration... but it would be good to know if the faders on the console still control the faders in the GUI after the time it usually takes for the console to freeze up.

If it still freezes up like that, I'd try to re-seat the Com1 and Com2 cables inside of the rack unit (the cables that connect to the "Console Data" connector on the outside of the rack). If it's STILL a problem after that, then I'd unplug the power put the power switch to the ON position (to help dissipate power from components), wait for at least 15 minutes (to let all the power drain), and then carefully look inside the power supply side of the rack unit, if any cables came loose etc.

If not, and everything looks like it should, then I think it's time to go with RJM_MUSIC's advise for replacing hardware components that may have gone bad.

I personally don't have much experience with power supply hardware, so I won't be much help with that, sorry! (In fact, I'm asking a power supply related question in another thread right now, myself).
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:49 pm

Y-my-R wrote:Sorry, but once again to confirm:

The D8B console lights up normally for maybe 20-30 seconds and the faders respond, before all the lights turn off and only the Rude Solo light stays on?

Yes, the Consol D8B lights up normally. Sometimes it lasts even five minutes and sometimes just turned on, it goes into freezing with only the spy rude turned on.
pino68

Postby pino68 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:54 pm

Y-my-R wrote:
Depending on how you routed audio into the console before, you won't have audio in this configuration... but it would be good to know if the faders on the console still control the faders in the GUI after the time it usually takes for the console to freeze up.

The faders on the console do not yet control the faders in the GUI after the time normally used by the console to stop.
pino68

Postby pino68 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:02 pm

But what video card supports the D8B CPU?
pino68

Postby pino68 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:34 pm

Y-my-R wrote:
If it still freezes up like that, I'd try to re-seat the Com1 and Com2 cables inside of the rack unit (the cables that connect to the "Console Data" connector on the outside of the rack). If it's STILL a problem after that, then I'd unplug the power put the power switch to the ON position (to help dissipate power from components), wait for at least 15 minutes (to let all the power drain), and then carefully look inside the power supply side of the rack unit, if any cables came loose etc.

Since it still blocks, sometimes like turning it and sometimes after 10 minutes, I did everything you say to do ... I repositioned the COM1 connectors, COM2 inside the rack unit ... the problem was not Resolved.

I disconnected the power, I waited, as you say, 15 minutes, in the meantime I checked all cables, I cleaned them and reconnected ... unfortunately I have not solved anything ... inside the rack (CPU) everything seems to place...
I do not know what to do
pino68

Postby pino68 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:29 pm

I don't know what to do anymore ... I tried everything ... remove the tabs ... Disulled all the racks and clean everything but nothing to do, sometimes before freezing is active for 10 minutes and sometimes very little ...
I absolutely need help .. I'm stopped I no longer have ideas and I can't make music .. help
pino68

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum