Change font size   Print view

Wordclock signal spike

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Wordclock signal spike

Postby Old School » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:33 pm

Hi All,
I use the wordclock signal from the HDR to clock my D8B as I've always been told that using the D8B's internal clock for the HDR was not a stable set up. My D8B has always gone ballistic (meters full on, that kind of thing) if I mistakenly boot the HDR first, so the D8B gets booted first and then when I boot the HDR and the clock signal kicks in, there was always this big spike on the meters for a second. I got to thinking that this spike could be the reason why my D8B session files sometimes get corrupted (a voltage spike is never a good thing) so I bought a 75 ohm bnc A-B switch and installed it between the D8B and the HDR with "A" making the connection and "B" connected to nothing. Now I can boot both units up at the same time with the switch off and after the HDR is fully booted (I think this spike is generated when the HDR first starts up its clock) I turn on the switch and only a very small jump on the meters. Also before if I needed to change out the external drive on the HDR, I would have to power off the D8B and then the HDR, change cassettes and reboot first D8B and then HDR. (if I shut off the HDR without shutting down the D8B the D8B would always go meters full on). Now I just turn off the clock switch leaving the D8B on and only have to power down the HDR, a great time saver for me. I don't know if anyone else has experienced these issues, but thought I would pass this along. You can get a 75ohm BNC switch from Markertek for about $15.

Have a blessed day,
Mike
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Wordclock signal spike

Postby RJH_MUSIC » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:48 pm

Thank You!! You just helped me figure out why my session file got corrupted recently. I am chasing down a problem lately with no audio. Something failed somewhere and i do not know what. But yes, normal operation for the d8b is that on startup, the LCD screen on the console will read "Please Wait, Loading Host" while the rude solo light will be on solid. When the GUI screen appears on the computer screen, the LCD display turns to Loading DSP Plugins. The rude solo light will blink. Some or all of the meters will then spike and fall, then the faders will set to zero, (if set that way in your startup session) and the rude solo light will go out indicating you are ready for use. Every now and then during startup, My meters jump to the top and do not come back down. I then have to do a reboot. I have been experiencing problems lately with stuck rude solo light and no audio, and wondering if something fried. Or maybe a power supply is going bad.
2 d8b's 5.1 OS all the plugins, Mackie 32.8 Bus, 2 iMAC 27", Apollo 8 Quad, Cubase 9, Logic Pro X, VEP 6, 4 TB of VSTi Libraries, 28 Roland, Yamaha & Korg Synths and Keyboards, NI Hardware and Software.. Plugins, Plugins, and the list goes on...
RJH_MUSIC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum