Change font size   Print view

D8B Floppy Needed OS 3 or 5

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8B Floppy Needed OS 3 or 5

Postby Kevin A » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:29 am

Can we talk? I can cover everything in a call. 214 730 9675
Kevin A

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:28 am

Absolutely not. Tech Support in my free time and being on call from then on out for people who don't want to put in the effort to follow written instructions, is not exactly my hobby.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Kevin A » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:33 am

I purchased a new battery. I reset my cards. I do not fully understand the download instructions they are somewhat confusing. I'm not a tech. If there was a troubleshoot list I can go down the list
Kevin A

Postby Kevin A » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:35 am

I'm putting in the effort.
Kevin A

Postby Kevin A » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:10 am

Thanks everyone for your support. I am going to make a diagnostic list based on the suggestions and go one by one and I will also make sure I cover all steps loading the software to the floppy.

Just so everyone knows.

When I boot the system I hear the CPU processing start then suddenly stop. The solo light is on the entire time, frozen for about 3 minutes while my monitor is black and not receiving any signal from the CPU. Then I get error 43 host did not boot message.
Kevin A

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:40 am

When I boot the system I hear the CPU processing start then suddenly stop. The solo light is on the entire time, frozen for about 3 minutes while my monitor is black and not receiving any signal from the CPU. Then I get error 43 host did not boot message.

Great! That's the kind of info and problem description I'm looking for and gives us somewhere to start.

The (Computer-)Display needs to work in order for us to be able to see what's going on, and to make the necessary settings.

Did this D8B computer work with this monitor before?
Do you have another Monitor, or Monitor cable to try?

If you did all that and the display still doesn't come on, I'd suggest to disconnect the D8B rack unit from the power outlet, open the rack case, and re-seat the cards in it.

Basically, either your monitor, monitor cable or your video card in the computer aren't working right, since there should ALWAYS be something showing on the monitor, even if there was no harddrive or operating system installed on the rack computer at all. Sometimes, re-seating makes them work again... sometimes a card can also go bad.

(It could of course be worse and the mainboard could have gone bad, but let's try another monitor, and if that doesn't work, re-seating the cards in the rack-unit, first.

Also, btw. - the monitor should show something, even if the console isn't connected at all. So, that's why we're starting to look for the problem at the rack unit.

Let's try this first, and then describe what you see. Best of luck, bringing the monitor back!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Kevin A » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:12 am

I replaced the bios battery and the video card. The monitor clicks when I turn on the system but I do not see nor hear the CPU booting up it's frozen then Instill get the error 43 code I had a IT tech support person to look at the issue and he said it's the motherboard. Does anyone know where I can find a motherboard for the CPU?
Kevin A

Postby Jondav1120 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:15 am

Hi Kevin,

Looks as though they are still a few left here.
This is for the newer motherboard. If you have the older motherboard then there may be a few differences in the connections. I think some on here have done this (I'm not one of them) and they may have further insight on what needs to be done to go from an old to new motherboard.

Regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby Kevin A » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:09 pm

Thank you John! Does anyone have the processes or steps to install a newer motherboard into a older D8B.
Kevin A

Postby Y-my-R » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:15 pm

I recently moved a motherboard from a "newer" D8B unit to an "older" D8B rack chassis, and it was a straight swap. All the risers on the mainboard and everything fit.

So, the steps are really just this:

Remove everything from the mainboard that attaches to the chassis, such as the ISA and PCI cards, and screws that attach the mainboard to the bottom of the chassis.
Also disconnect all the cables that go to the mainboard, of course.

If the motherboard you're installing doesn't have a processor on it, you'd have to remove the heatsink and processor and move it to the new board as well (but it's of course possible that the processor is fried, and that that's why the monitor doesn't come on, and that you'd need a new processor anyway... or maybe ONLY a new processor and not the new board...?).
If you've never swapped a processor before, then be aware that you need "thermal grease" that needs to be put between the processor and the heatsink. The old thermal grease that's currently on there, should be carefully removed, first.

You'll have to move the memory as well, if you install a brand-new board. But that should also be a straight swap, as long as the old board didn't have its memory installed in the "old" SIMM memory slots (that's pretty uncommon). The newer DIMM memory modules should fit between the old and the new board.

And the MOST IMPORTANT thing:
You are aware, that there are really only 2 "official" mainboard models that Mackie used in the D8B, and that all other mainboards you may be able to buy, will not work? That's why John shared the link for the "new" type of mainboard that fits the D8B.
From my understanding, some people had success with VERY CAREFULLY CHOSEN different boards, that have the components on them, for the stuff that is critical for the D8B. But since the "new/official" board for the D8B is still available for an OK price (169 Euro), I'd recommend not to take any chances, and to just buy one of THOSE boards.

Best of luck!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum