Change font size   Print view

D8B Floppy Needed OS 3 or 5

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8B Floppy Needed OS 3 or 5

Postby Jondav1120 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:09 am

Hi Micjax,

The configuration you describe should at the very least display POST/BIOS.

1. You mention no beeps. Any signs of life from the motherboard (CPU Fan spins)?
2. You mention an AT power supply. Check the power supply plugs are the correct way round http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#oldpc.
You can also see the correct orientation in this picture.
3. I'm not sure if the Rage XL Video card is original equipment (others may be able to confirm), but I can confirm that most PCI or AGP cards should work for the BIOS.

If you have the little speaker connected to the motherboard, then I'd suggest removing everything apart from the processor and one RAM stick (if there is more than one, remove one, and test with one and then the other). If this produces no beeps then remove all the RAM and test.
With no RAM and a functional motherboard and processor you should get a beep code (one long beeeeeep, if I remember correctly) meaning "No DRAM Detected / DRAM Fault"

Regards

John
Jondav1120

Postby doktor1360 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:03 pm

Jondav1120 wrote:Hi Micjax,

The configuration you describe should at the very least display POST/BIOS.

1. You mention no beeps. Any signs of life from the motherboard (CPU Fan spins)?
2. You mention an AT power supply. Check the power supply plugs are the correct way round http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#oldpc.
You can also see the correct orientation in this picture.
3. I'm not sure if the Rage XL Video card is original equipment (others may be able to confirm), but I can confirm that most PCI or AGP cards should work for the BIOS.

If you have the little speaker connected to the motherboard, then I'd suggest removing everything apart from the processor and one RAM stick (if there is more than one, remove one, and test with one and then the other). If this produces no beeps then remove all the RAM and test.
With no RAM and a functional motherboard and processor you should get a beep code (one long beeeeeep, if I remember correctly) meaning "No DRAM Detected / DRAM Fault"

Regards

John

Here's a thought, too...

If the d8b host spins up the fans on the power supply or the case fan when powered on - but doesn't display a POST message and/or give an option to hit a function key to access the BIOS setup utility - this is a potential indicator that there may be a problem with the BIOS chip itself on the motherboard. It's rather extreme, but it's plausible and does happen... and it's not a 'fun' issue to encounter at all...

Just something to perhaps consider that I've experienced myself rescuing older pc related hardware in the past (fortunately none of my Mackie gear)... last resorts n all... ;)

Of course, you also knew this was coming... and here it is:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby micjax71 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:20 pm

MB is a CB50-BX, AT power connector is correct, voltages are correct. Tried another Celeron 300Mhz cpu, tried AGP and PCI cards that are known good. No hellp. CPU and ps fans are spinning, I don't have another 32Mb SDRAM card to try. Checked again with speaker for beeps with no video card and no memory stick, still no beeps. Looks like he installed a bad MB.
micjax71

Postby micjax71 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:53 pm

Checking around CPU, found LX8384 is only outputting 0.25vdc to Celeron, input is 3.3vdc. No wonder it don't work!
micjax71

Previous

Return to d8b Forum