Change font size   Print view

D8B Help Needed

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: D8B Help Needed

Postby doktor1360 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:30 pm

flipflop wrote:Hello again...

I'm back with new problems, and I was hoping for some more input.

There are still hiccups with the DSP but upon investigating I found that the 9 fader bank card was locking and getting REALLY hot.

Is this telling me that the board is fried? Can this be repaired or does it need replacing?

Would this be the problem with the DSP?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

Here ya go, Phil... this should straighten that heat issue out. The guess here is there's a wonky fader motor(s) that went tits up on the circuit board of yours:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284750106531?hash=item424c6dcfa3:g:JUQAAOSwsn9iTgrU

You can probably salvage individual fader assemblies from the board you've got and save them for spare parts. If you have surface mount soldering / desoldering equipment, you could most likely repair the actual printed circuit board too (if that's something you feel comfy doing). To do that, open up the bottom console of the console so you can view the bottom of the printed circuit boards for the faders. Get a wax pencil and wait for things to heat up - when you sense the thermal situation is occuring just touch the board in different spots with the pencil end until you see it melt. That'll indicate the area on the board where the offending component(s) are located, then it's electronic theory and triage - you'd probably notice something discolored (from the excessive heat). If it's an IC, touch it... and if it burns your finger tip, remove and replace the chip...

FWIW, just score that fader board if you can - it's a lot less trouble, and certainly less effort, than fixing a bad circuit board...

Of course, you knew this was coming so here it is:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum