Change font size   Print view

High Frequency noise in the D8b

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: High Frequency noise in the D8b

Postby Old School » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:10 am

Hi All,
Just a post to say that my "mystery noise" is solved, and that my single-minded focus sometimes makes me incredibly stupid. I thought I had disconnected all of the outboard gear, but then I remembered the headphone system ( I run a Furman HMS-16 system). So I thought, ah this is the culprit and I rushed to prove it, disconnecting it totally and setting the machine to record, went into the vocal booth and sang a passage that was at the top of my range both in pitch and volume with no headphones and.... I heard the noise....with no headphones on.... and no speakers on in the control room, I heard it. It was coming from my throat. I had one of my customers sing the next day and I heard the noise when standing in the room with her with no headphones on. I then had someone younger come in and sing hard, no noise. My conclusion is that some singers, who have sung a little too loud for too long in their careers (like me), have vocal chords that create this distortion-like noise, or maybe the singer in the Hispanic group was getting over a cold? Maybe that's why it got worse as the sessions went on because their voices were tired? I don't know, but the D8B is not the culprit. Feel like an idiot for chasing a ghost all this time. Please forgive me for wasting your time. The D8B records EXACTLY what it hears.

Have a blessed day,
Mike
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:47 am

No apologies needed, I have had that with one singer, as well as his voice, there was another sound coming from his throat that was un fixable!
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:53 pm

Old School wrote:Hi All,
Just a post to say that my "mystery noise" is solved, and that my single-minded focus sometimes makes me incredibly stupid. I thought I had disconnected all of the outboard gear, but then I remembered the headphone system ( I run a Furman HMS-16 system). So I thought, ah this is the culprit and I rushed to prove it, disconnecting it totally and setting the machine to record, went into the vocal booth and sang a passage that was at the top of my range both in pitch and volume with no headphones and.... I heard the noise....with no headphones on.... and no speakers on in the control room, I heard it. It was coming from my throat. I had one of my customers sing the next day and I heard the noise when standing in the room with her with no headphones on. I then had someone younger come in and sing hard, no noise. My conclusion is that some singers, who have sung a little too loud for too long in their careers (like me), have vocal chords that create this distortion-like noise, or maybe the singer in the Hispanic group was getting over a cold? Maybe that's why it got worse as the sessions went on because their voices were tired? I don't know, but the D8B is not the culprit. Feel like an idiot for chasing a ghost all this time. Please forgive me for wasting your time. The D8B records EXACTLY what it hears.

Have a blessed day,
Mike

Wow... that's insane, man... I gotta hand it to ya (and Phil.C) for working thru something of this nature. That's the very definition of pragmatism. I'm of the same school of thought, it keeps me up at nite sometime (LOL). Maybe next go around, offer the vocalist(s) some green tea and/or honey periodically during a long session, I've seen that work on numerous occasions with vocalists & fatigued pipes. At any rate, a successful mitigation to an odd audio issue, with some damn thorough triage and resolution efforts! Gotta luv it...

Tip of the hat, and all the best, Mike...
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum