Change font size   Print view

Audio does not work

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Audio does not work

Postby pino68 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:45 pm

Hello everybody. I am dying here, I received the apogee card but unfortunately the D8B continues to flash with "?"
The card is only connected to the D8B without any external cable.
Would the BFC be the synchronous cable? The one with which I should connect it to HDR?
Is it possible that I have to restore all the mixer cards and all the connectors?
pino68

Postby Phil.c » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:02 pm

And it's still set to internal?

BFC conected to the HDR?, have you cleaned the data cable connectors and checked for a bent pin?
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:54 pm

Phil.c wrote:And it's still set to internal?

BFC conected to the HDR?, have you cleaned the data cable connectors and checked for a bent pin?

* Now it is internal set but gives me "lock error"
* BFC is not connected with HDR
* I disassembled and cleaned all the connectors of the D8B at least three times
The new apogee continues to give me mistake "?" And so I don't have the audio

I have a crazy desire to get everything hammer ... I can't take it anymore ... I spent a pile of € but I have not solved anything ...
pino68

Postby pino68 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:16 pm

What are the data cable connectors?
I don't understand which pin you speak ...
I disassembled all the cards and connectors of the mix, I detached and cleaned all the cables and connectors with "Isopropyl Alcohol", then I reassembled them (with much effort) ... I must say that I didn't pay attention if there was any folded pin ...
As soon as it was done, everything worked well, then every now and then he blocked on
Vumeter Verdi and nothing more worked.
I turned off and turned off at least ten times the mixer and error (?) And appeared 6/10 (six times out of ten).
Even when it seems that everything works (that is, when it doesn't give me an error "?") The audio does not come out.
pino68

Postby Phil.c » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:53 am

The data cable is next to the big connector, check the pins in the connectors to see if one is bent, but I doubt if this is your problem as you say that everything worked, also when cleaning ribbon connectors the ribbons should be lifted off the spikes ( use your thumb nail to do this) and IPA dropped in and the connector squeezed back with a pliers, sometimes the connection between the ribbon wire and the spikes gets tarnished and makes intermittent contact.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:59 am

I also checked the data connector and everything is fine, all the PINs are normal.
Unfortunately, the error (?) Does not disappear and continues to flash.

I am really tired of spending my time behind this mixer ... I want to make music and I can no longer, thanks to the D8B that cost me € 12,000 (thrown away)
pino68

Postby pino68 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:01 pm

Almost almost I sell everything: HDR and D8B!
pino68

Postby Y-my-R » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:49 pm

I'm sorry that you have such serious problems with your D8B.

Stupid question: If you pick up the D8B console and shake it a bit, does it sound like anything is loose in there? What about the rack unit? Does anything sound loose?

I'm asking, because a long time ago when I moved one D8B around that was giving me trouble, I noticed that something inside was making a sound like something was loose.
I'm fairly well built, so I can just pick up the whole desk by myself and shake it, so, that's what I did.
When I did, a small yellow component fell out - this was a capacitor in my case.

I found that a capacitor was missing on the clock card (I posted about this again recently, but this incident was years ago), and soldered it back on. This resolved the problem I had experienced at that time.

Now, a problem like what you're describing, might be any kind of component in the clock circuitry, that is either fried, not making good contact, or could have "fallen off" like it did in my case.

With a device like the D8B, that has so many circuit boards, it will be difficult to find where such a bad component would be located. The right thing would be, to have someone who understands electronics go through the desk and troubleshoot it - but you can try looking for either "burned" or "scorched" or missing components on any of the cards and circuit boards yourself... or for components that look like they're loose or don't make good contact, etc.

But quite honestly, even for me, trying to find an issue like that in a big device like the D8B, would be a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack.
But again... I managed to find that the component I "shook out" of my D8B, was missing on my Apogee Clock card... but you already replaced the clock card, so it's probably not that.
But MOST circuits in the D8B, are somewhat related to "word clock" (since everything that handles digital audio needs to sync to word clock), so, the bad/missing component could probably be "anywhere" I'm afraid!

Sorry that you invested so much money in the D8B... but hopefully you spent that money many years ago, and got a good service out of the D8B. In terms of value today, because of the excessive reliability issues the D8B has, you're lucky if you can sell it for more than a few hundred Euros (I didn't pay more than $150 for ANY of the D8Bs I own... that's how much their price has dropped, since they have problems, so frequently.)
Really sorry, if you weren't aware of this "reputation" the D8B has, yet.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pino68 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:06 pm

I disassembled the whole mixer, all the cards and I'm reviewing all the cables including connections ...
Now I clean everything and then reassemble (if I can) ... let's see what happens ... if it doesn't work even like this, I sell it unfortunately at low price ... patience
pino68

Postby Phil.c » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:00 pm

Don’t forget to lift the ribbons off the spikes to clean!
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum