Change font size   Print view

Keyboard Unresponsive Stopping D8B Boot Up

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Keyboard Unresponsive Stopping D8B Boot Up

Postby SynthfulDwarphus » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:07 pm

Hello,

I recently acquired a D8B which I was unable to fully test prior, and the keyboard is completely unresponsive (no lights flashing upon power-up), which causes the boot process to stop at "Press F1 to Run Setup". (Photo attached)

I've lurked here for about a month, reading through all 67 pages of posts, finding some occurrences of the same problem, and some possible solutions. However, the best solution in the posts here seems to be applicable to the newer mainboard type, and my D8B has the older Amptron PM-9800 mainboard.

Below are some notes on what I've done to resolve the problem and info I've found, as well as some applicable links.

It seems I could try installing a USB connector breakout/extension board and possibly bypass the DIN5/XT/AT keyboard connector altogether, but I don't know if the PM-9800 BIOS will allow mw to activate a USB keyboard without ever first having access to BIOS settings to enable USB keyboard.

I would truly appreciate any assistance /suggestions on getting my D8B to boot!

Thanks,
SynD

NO QWERTY KEYBOARD RESPONSE,
& no light "Press F1 to Run SETUP"

1) ClrCMOS.exe on floppy

2) install USB keyboard

3) install PC Speaker , listen for beeps

4) Remove battery (already dead - installed tested good battery )

5) BIOS errors at boot (changed only once in ≈15 attempts to "CMOS Checksum Bad")

6) Seem to hear HD spin & quickly read

7) Mixer faders move down to o-o (mostly), eventual "Error 43" on VFD

8) Extremely (I mean EXTREMELY) dusty PSU/CPU rack

9) Old/PM9800 MB, 16MB RAM

10) Keyboards tried: 2x known-good PS/2 keyboards w known-good DIN5 adapter , 2x known-good DIN5/XT-AT keyboards ALL NO LIGHTS ON BOOT

11) Tried pressing keys on boot: <END> to clear BIOS, and <DEL> to enter BIOS setup.

12) Original factory "KTS" CR2032 battery, ≈25 years old?

13) Tried JP1 jumper clear CMOS (which are pins 1/2/3?, not in MB manual? "Clear CMOS position" & "normal position" but JP1 only labeled "POW" & "BAT"?) no boot on leftmost 2 pins, boot on rightmost 2 pins, no jumper originally installed .
"JP1 - CMOS RAM Discharge Selector
PIN DESCRIPTION
1-2 Normal Mode (default)
2-3 Clear CMOS
Make sure that JP1 is set to Normal Mode (pins
1-2) before installing the mainboard."

14) As in this post here ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1994 ) try installing USB Connectors Breakout/Extension Adapter Bracket to bypass DIN5 keyboard connector using USB keyboard (see attached instruction manual page re USB) , but possibly need BIOS settings access first to enable, all on-point previous D8Bforum posts re newer motherboard only, part on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/384942653684 , Aliexpress:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqWm8K4

Another crazy No-boot Error 43 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=465

Keyboard & Mouse problem viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1091 (Change PS/2 port?)

Install Amptron PM-9800 motherboard BIOS v.11.27.1998 downloaded from here? https://x-drivers.com/catalog/bios_firm ... 9800/24150

Or else, install/run "AMI Flash" Flash Loader for AMI BIOS from here? http://www.unicore.com/techsupport/award/awardutils.htm

Site Database sections CPU, Maintenance, and Tips.
Attachments
IMG_20221024_110705.jpg
USB connector info in Amptron PM-9800 instruction manual. Is this USB 1.0 or 1.1 ??
IMG_20221024_110705.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 10945 times
IMG_20220831_195128.jpg
ONLY ONCE received "CMOS Checksum Error" in 15+ attempts.
IMG_20220831_195128.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 10945 times
IMG_20220901_160454.jpg
COMPLETELY STUCK at this screen, can't enter F1 because keyboard COMPLETELY UNRESPONSIVE.
IMG_20220901_160454.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 10945 times
Last edited by SynthfulDwarphus on Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SynthfulDwarphus

Re: Keyboard Unresponsive Stopping D8B Boot Up

Postby Phil.c » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:43 am

Have you tried cleaning and reseating the keyboard card?
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby SynthfulDwarphus » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:57 pm

Thanks, but the DIN5 keyboard port in my PSU/CPU rack is soldered directly onto the motherboard, and is not on a separate keyboard interface card.
SynthfulDwarphus

Postby doktor1360 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:03 pm

SynthfulDwarphus wrote:Thanks, but the DIN5 keyboard port in my PSU/CPU rack is soldered directly onto the motherboard, and is not on a separate keyboard interface card.

It's a 5 pin connection, measure the resistance of each wire for continuity... and opens and shorts with VOM meter - should be 0 ohms resistance connector to soldered motherboard pin, and clean the adapter end with DeOxit and/or compressed air. If that all works, the problem isn't going to be related to the soldered connections on the motherboard outward. You're looking at the motherboard itself or something else entirely basic to a pc functioning...
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Y-my-R » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:56 am

I have a couple of D8B rack units, including one that has the old AMPTRON motherboard, that doesn't recognize the keyboard, and doesn't let me access the BIOS, because of that. So, same symptom as yours.

I have not gotten that unit working... I even pulled the keyboard controller chip out of it's socket and let it sit over night, in the hopes it might have been some static build-up in there or something that might dissipate over night... but this didn't help. (Voodoo didn't work, either).

I don't recall if I tried back then, if using a USB keyboard via the header on the motherboard would make a difference or not... that might have been before I understood that this might be possible, and then just got another rack unit and only used the one that doesn't recognize the keyboard for parts. I still have that board, though.

My assumption would be, that a keyboard connected to USB would NOT work to access the BIOS... but I'm not sure. It's worth a try.

I know I had added a USB breakout to an old board before, and I'm pretty sure it worked to use a keyboard via the USB connector on that unit to use within the Mackie OS (but that was a unit that also worked with a DIN-5 keyboard... not the one with the fried keyboard chip), but I'm not sure if I currently have that installed in a "old board" unit... probably not. I think I moved everything to the newer rack units as my main & working spare units at some point... but if I find that I do have that installed in an old rack unit, I'll try if I can get into the BIOS via a keyboard connected to USB, next time I'm in the studio.

If it's really the keyboard chip that got fried, and no other component on the board went with it... I was wondering if it's possible to burn the BIOS on the chip, with different default settings...? Like, where they'd be right for use with the D8B (with auto-detection for the boot drive), and then there'd be no need to go in the BIOS). But I don't have the capability to burn EEPROMs or any kinds of chips, anyway... just thinking out loud.

Anyway... I'll follow up in the coming days, once I know if I have an old-board unit with a USB break-out installed (and if so, what that does with a keyboard connected to it)... but most likely, I don't have that ready to go.

I think someone shared a link a little while back, where you can still buy the NEW motherboard for the D8B, for like 170 Euro or so. The mainboard replacement should be pretty straight forward, if you've done something like that before.
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:12 am

When I changed my old board for the new one I had to also change the processor.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Old School » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:54 pm

Hi Guys,
I may be way off base here, (standard disclaimer), but I had a D8B with the old motherboard and I don't ever recall seeing "PM9800 American Megatrends" on the screen. Maybe someone had a problem with this unit and purchased a motherboard that does not have the Mackie bios chip in it. Just a thought.

Have a blessed day,
Mike
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:21 pm

I am not totaly sure of this, but, the older 133MHz MB do not accept USB interfaces. Or at least I could never get them to work. Same with CF harddrives. Could never get them to work either. When I aquired the 300MHz MB, both worked very easily.

Have you switched Keyboards? I have used a DIN (Male) to USB adaptor and it worked, Thus allowing me to use a USB keyboard. just in case you do not have another DIN Keyboard.

Goodluck
Bruce
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby SynthfulDwarphus » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:01 pm

doktor1360 wrote:
SynthfulDwarphus wrote:Thanks, but the DIN5 keyboard port in my PSU/CPU rack is soldered directly onto the motherboard, and is not on a separate keyboard interface card.

It's a 5 pin connection, measure the resistance of each wire for continuity... and opens and shorts with VOM meter - should be 0 ohms resistance connector to soldered motherboard pin, and clean the adapter end with DeOxit and/or compressed air. If that all works, the problem isn't going to be related to the soldered connections on the motherboard outward. You're looking at the motherboard itself or something else entirely basic to a pc functioning...

Thanks, doktor!

I've been doing a few light synth mods/repairs of late using soldering iron and such, but I am definitely not up to speed on using a multimeter to measure voltages, etc., so any guidance would be well-appreciated. I have a basic digital multimeter with LCD, but don't know:
1) Proper multimeter dial setting for continuity test you mention,
2) Where to connect test leads to multimeter for this test (3 possible ports for the two leads),
3) Where to place which of the probes to the DIN5 connector and/or mainboard to test,
4) What readings are acceptable (does anything other than "0 ohms resistance" indicate failure?).

Also, is CRC QD Contact Cleaner acceptable instead of DeOxit?
SynthfulDwarphus

Postby SynthfulDwarphus » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:24 pm

Y-my-R wrote:I have a couple of D8B rack units, including one that has the old AMPTRON motherboard, that doesn't recognize the keyboard, and doesn't let me access the BIOS, because of that. So, same symptom as yours.

I have not gotten that unit working... I even pulled the keyboard controller chip out of it's socket and let it sit over night, in the hopes it might have been some static build-up in there or something that might dissipate over night... but this didn't help. (Voodoo didn't work, either).

I don't recall if I tried back then, if using a USB keyboard via the header on the motherboard would make a difference or not... that might have been before I understood that this might be possible, and then just got another rack unit and only used the one that doesn't recognize the keyboard for parts. I still have that board, though.

My assumption would be, that a keyboard connected to USB would NOT work to access the BIOS... but I'm not sure. It's worth a try.

I know I had added a USB breakout to an old board before, and I'm pretty sure it worked to use a keyboard via the USB connector on that unit to use within the Mackie OS (but that was a unit that also worked with a DIN-5 keyboard... not the one with the fried keyboard chip), but I'm not sure if I currently have that installed in a "old board" unit... probably not. I think I moved everything to the newer rack units as my main & working spare units at some point... but if I find that I do have that installed in an old rack unit, I'll try if I can get into the BIOS via a keyboard connected to USB, next time I'm in the studio.

If it's really the keyboard chip that got fried, and no other component on the board went with it... I was wondering if it's possible to burn the BIOS on the chip, with different default settings...? Like, where they'd be right for use with the D8B (with auto-detection for the boot drive), and then there'd be no need to go in the BIOS). But I don't have the capability to burn EEPROMs or any kinds of chips, anyway... just thinking out loud.

Anyway... I'll follow up in the coming days, once I know if I have an old-board unit with a USB break-out installed (and if so, what that does with a keyboard connected to it)... but most likely, I don't have that ready to go.

I think someone shared a link a little while back, where you can still buy the NEW motherboard for the D8B, for like 170 Euro or so. The mainboard replacement should be pretty straight forward, if you've done something like that before.

Thanks for the thoughts and info, Y-my-R.

There is an extensive thread here ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1994 ) that outlines successful installation of USB breakout cable bracket AND ability to use USB keyboard to IMMEDIATELY access BIOS at powerup (without first changing any settings), to then change BIOS settings for USB keyboard to continue to work on Mackie OS after bootup. (UPDATED OP w linkI thought I had linked that particular thread in my OP, but guess I forgot to; I'll try to find it, and update OP.)

UNFORTUNATELY, that thread was on newer mainboard, and I didn't find any other regarding older/original Amptron PM9800 mainboard that I have (I carefully checked all posts in all 67 pages in this sub-forum).

HOWEVER, even the older Amptron MB indeed supports USB connectors (although the pinout works a bit differently, without keyed connectors and each header oriented inverted to the other). I attached pic of Amptron MB in OP showing USB capability.

Look forward to any updates from you, and hope I can get this D8B running, since I concurrently purchased some Tascam digital 8-track recorders and an old ADAT that would be fun to try with it.
Last edited by SynthfulDwarphus on Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SynthfulDwarphus

Next

Return to d8b Forum