Change font size   Print view

hard drive replacement

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

hard drive replacement

Postby Carlo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:22 am

Dear All,

Lately my d8b is asking for the system disk to be inserted. I have to install the OS when this happenes. It is doing it frequently. Sometimes after i load the images into the system the LED screen of the mixer shows this error: 'Memory extraction error...contact tech support'. So, the extraction does not take place. This normally happens when i try to install V5 or V5.1. So i have to start from V2.03 and make it to V5.1.

Do you think it's time to replace the HD after 10 years of work? I bought a Fujitsu HD with the same specs that the d8b needs. Shall i go for a new installation or better if i format the current onboard HD?

If i format the HD, do i have to install the OS from V2.03 till V5.1? Can i install just V5.1 only?

Are the following the items that i need for a new installation?

1. Fujitsu HD
2. Service pack 3 (For UFX cards)
3. OS 5.1
4. Authorisation CODES

do i need something else??

Thanks

Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: hard drive replacement

Postby Petersueco » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:42 am

Read this article before you begin: Hard drive replacement: 10 Golden Rules.
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Carlo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:05 am

Thanks for the advice.

Can you tell me if i should install the very first versions of the OS after replacing the HD?

Can i install V5.1 only?

Thanks

Carlo
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:09 pm

I think you will be good installing version 5.1 and the Service Pack 3 directly.

Good Luck.

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby doug » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:08 pm

This is my first post to the forum even though I have been using a D8B for 15 years.

My hard drive failed a few days ago with symptoms of repeated attempts to reboot. I decided to replace the hard drive with a CF (compact flash card). I purchased a 4GB CF card and a StarTech '3.5 ins bay to single CF SSD Adapter Card Reader' . The Startech bay allows the CF card to be removed but I only wanted to use it to mount the card internally in the 3.5 ins D8B bay so I ignored this capability. I put the card in the drive bay of the D8B and connected it as a normal IDE disk with the ribbon cable. On poer up, the D8B immediately recognised the CF card as drive 1. I had the first v5.1 diskette in the drive on power up and made sure the 'format:yes' command was added/set in the first disk according to the Mackie write up on installing a new hard drive. The CF card formatted correctly when I was asked if I wanted to format the disk by the install process. Everything is working normally and the CPU is much quieter. A very easy change to make. I hope someone else finds this useful information.
doug

Postby p2h » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:37 am

Thanks Doug for your post...it worked great for me!
p2h

Return to d8b Forum