Change font size   Print view

Mackie freezing, and I did something stoopid..

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Mackie freezing, and I did something stoopid..

Postby THARYDE » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:54 am

I'd like to apologize. I am grateful to be a part of this forum. We actually had two deaths in the family, 1 week apart. So, I still haven't had the opportunity to try any of your recommendations. Sorry.
THARYDE

Postby csp » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:40 am

Tharyde,

Apologies for any hurtfull comment and commisorations on your losses.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby THARYDE » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:08 am

I’m not sure what happened here, but I could have sworn I responded to all of you by saying I had two deaths in the family back to back. This is the reason I didn’t respond, and also why I haven’t been on here since. My apologies everyone, I appreciate being a part of this forum! But, I am still stuck. I understand I need to replace the battery it, but can anyone advise how to do so? Should I just unscrew the back, find the battery and replace it? Is it really that simple?
THARYDE

Postby Phil.c » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:36 am

Take the cover off the CPU, flip out the battery which is in the main board and insert a new one, power up and reset the BIOS to the correct settings.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:08 pm

THARYDE wrote:Should I just unscrew the back, find the battery and replace it? Is it really that simple?

Yup... unplug the AC firstly - then it's just 4 screws on the back, 4 on the side(s) and remove the cover. Be careful when removing the battery, the damn clips that are used on the motherboards are plastic - and they'll break easily if you try to muscle the battery from the socket clamp. There's a little clip on it, that once it's depressed it should 'pop' the battery up - exposing it for removal. It's not Rocket Science in reality, just exercise the proper care.. it ain't a race... :D
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby THARYDE » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:25 am

Thank you all, I will do try this out!
THARYDE

Postby THARYDE » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:42 am

PLEASE WATCH THE YOUTUBE VIDEO. I AM LOST...

https://youtu.be/uo64H271gaQ

Ok, so I have had a very trying year, serious family issues you guys. But, I am now getting back into the swing of things. Let me update you guys on what I am seeing on the Mackie. I have Attached a video link via YouTube so you can see what I am experiencing and hopefully help me to move forward with fixing my system. I want to unlock the plugins, and I don’t know how to do it, and I don’t know where I should look to begin with. I downloaded the crack file, but I don’t see anything that says “"MackieOS.exe”. Can the Mackie hook up directly to the internet? I am using (trying to use) an old external usb/hard floppy disk to transfer the cracked file to the Mackie from windows PC.
THARYDE

Postby Y-my-R » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:13 pm

If the console is not connected to the rack unit, then you will ALWAYS get the DSP error message that you see.

You can't fully boot the rack unit, if the mixer is not connected, and you won't even know if there might be other bootup issues with a different error, once the mixer is connected.

So, before doing anything else, I'd suggest to connect the mixer to the rack unit, and then try if it boots fully and works as it should (sans the plug-ins that you're saying that are not authorized).

As for replacing the MackieOS.exe file... you CANNOT get to these files from the booted Mackie rack unit, directly from the Mackie OS. You also can't connect to the "internet" via the MackieOS, but you can connect over the network port via the FTP protocol.

Basically, there's two methods to replace that file (if you're still using the internal "spinning" hard drive in the D8B, and not an easily removable SD card for the boot drive):

1. Physically remove the spinning harddrive from the D8B rack unit, and connect it to your PC via a IDE-to-USB adapter. Then replace the MackieOS.exe file on that drive via the Windows PC.

2. Connect to the D8B via FTP. You'll need an FTP app such as FileZilla to do this, and you'll need to understand how your home network works, and what IP address range it uses, and what IP range is available. (Or use a crossover cable and create a "local network" to connect the PC and D8B directly).
If you're not a "computer network guy" then this process might be a bit challenging, though. I think there's plenty of people on here who tried, but never got FTP working. I also struggled with it for a long time, until I finally figured out what I did wrong for MY specific network setup.

In short, while it's a hassle, if you're not a "network guy," IMO, it's easier to physically remove the spinning harddrive, connect it to a PC via an external IDE to USB adapter, and replace the MackieOS.exe file that way.

But again... before messing with the files on the D8B drive, connect the console and the rack unit with the BFC cable AND the 25 pin data cable, and then check if you still get an error message. If all of that works, THEN try messing around with replacing the MackieOS.exe file.

Best of luck!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bruce Graham » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:03 pm

Hey Tharyde;

Totally aggree with Y-MY-R. You have to have the console connected. There is a lot of back-and-forth data that needs to be validated before this thing boots. It ls old. It is cranky, but it great when working.

Re the hard drive, yes if you have mechanical hard drive, and you likely do, then removing it is the best option. Then you can replace the MackieOS.exe file. Easy, easy.

There is a million years work of experience from these forum guys, so don't try to re-invent the wheel.

Best of luck. We are here to help.

Bruce
Canada
Bruce Graham
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby THARYDE » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:08 am

Thanks guys, I am not a "Network Guy" at all, but I can remove the hard drive and replace the coding. I will also hook the mixer back up and see what happens. In the event I don't have success with replacing the "file name", is it possible to reboot the system to the standardized one (before I had reset the BIOS"?
THARYDE

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum