Change font size   Print view

I'm QUITE excited (but we have seen this before...)

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: I'm QUITE excited (but we have seen this before...)

Postby arjepsen » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:23 pm

So, my next step will probably be trying to figure out a framework to use.
My brother turned my attention to JUCE, so I'm gonna try to dive into what that is...

Anyways, if anyone whishes to try out the boot script I made, the files are available here:
https://github.com/arjepsen/d8b_boot

WARNING:
it is a quick fix! not a nice one, not a good looking one.
It just simply boots the desk, and opens channel 9 and 10 for audio.
I cannot promise that it wont blow up your house, or set fire to your cat, or call the aliens... it's your own responsibility. :D
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:50 pm

Just a short update on where this is going.
Currently, I am trying to port the boot procedure I made in python to c++.
I'm trying to run it on a raspberry pi, although I can't quite decide whether this is the best platform.

Meanwhile in "JUCE"-land:

Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 6346 times
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:04 pm

arjepsen wrote:Just a short update on where this is going.
Currently, I am trying to port the boot procedure I made in python to c++.
I'm trying to run it on a raspberry pi, although I can't quite decide whether this is the best platform.

Meanwhile in "JUCE"-land:

That's slick.. clean, well laid out...

I happened to take a look at the Juice framework docs and api... I think you did well choosing this codebase. They've got things compartmentalized nicely, the api class framework looks to be quite powerful. As a (retired) 'code jockey', if/when you get ramped up on this I'd be more than willing to help out - I've got 35+ years of development & engineering 'seat time' (hard, soft & firm *wares), just an asset available for ya moving forward with this endeavor...

Never-the-less, I'll be keeping an eye on your efforts here...
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:55 pm

That's great!
I'm a 50 year old guy, who's taken a change of profession, and are finishing my last year of an electronics engieer study, so I do have some programming skills, but nothing compared to yours :-D

I'm unfortunately not entirely sure, how I could divide the job.
Right now I'm porting the boot process to c++, after that I'll probably try to get a simple program working, where the first 25 channels are passing audio, and the faders work somewhat as intended.

Maybe after that, I will try to make a structured documentation of the various commands to and from the brain and dsp boards - that might make it easier to divide up the job.

By all means, help is welcome!! - but you might know better than me how to help :-)

Regards
Anders
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:35 pm

impressive work....!
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:23 am

Just a bit of an update, to let you guys know I haven't abandoned the project.

The project so far:
I managed to boot the console through a python script, and get sound through a couple of channels.
I think I have most of the communication and routing commands to and from both boards (brain and dsp) figured out, although there's still some more funky stuff to sniff out.

I managed to port the boot process to c++, and got it running on a raspberry pi.
My goal would be to make a program that runs on a pi, since that is a well-established platform.
However, since pi's are a bit of an unobtainium at the moment (at least the pi 4), I'm also looking at similar options (banana pi, nano pi, orange pi).

What I'm currently fiddling with, is trying to figure out how to set up a development environment.
Problem is, that compiling (building) the program on the raspberry pi itself is
s l o w .....
and tends to run out of memory while building, even though the final program could run just fine.
So I'm trying to set up a cross compiling environment on a virtual machine (meaning, compiling the program on a pc, in a way that it can run on the pi).
However, this has turned out to be quite difficult....
If someone has experience with this, and can write up a quick guide on how to set that up on a virtual machine, please let me know :-)

Regards, and happy easter!

Anders
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:35 pm

arjepsen wrote:Just a bit of an update, to let you guys know I haven't abandoned the project.

The project so far:
I managed to boot the console through a python script, and get sound through a couple of channels.
I think I have most of the communication and routing commands to and from both boards (brain and dsp) figured out, although there's still some more funky stuff to sniff out.

I managed to port the boot process to c++, and got it running on a raspberry pi.
My goal would be to make a program that runs on a pi, since that is a well-established platform.
However, since pi's are a bit of an unobtainium at the moment (at least the pi 4), I'm also looking at similar options (banana pi, nano pi, orange pi).

What I'm currently fiddling with, is trying to figure out how to set up a development environment.
Problem is, that compiling (building) the program on the raspberry pi itself is
s l o w .....
and tends to run out of memory while building, even though the final program could run just fine.
So I'm trying to set up a cross compiling environment on a virtual machine (meaning, compiling the program on a pc, in a way that it can run on the pi).
However, this has turned out to be quite difficult....
If someone has experience with this, and can write up a quick guide on how to set that up on a virtual machine, please let me know :-)

Regards, and happy easter!

Anders

Build and compile the code base on any Linux OS ( using GCC tools 'make')... and test it on a VirtualBox image, as VirtualBox is included with any Linux distro. I'm not aware of any prebuilt VirtualBox images of any Pi based Virtual Machine, at this moment in time I haven't looked for one either, so they may exist. You could also create your own VM if you have the Pi installation process leveraged. I'm not sure if I completely understand what it is you're attempting to do (the devil is always in the details), but it doesn't sound like Rocket Science provided the right procedures could be followed...

I use Fedora Linux 36 w VirtualBox daily and I've had to create a slew of VM's over the years with different operating systems (Windoze, CentOS-Ubuntu-RedHat-* Linux distros, Qnix, etc) - you get the idea. It just sounds like the process plan needs to be defined and tweaked. You essentially create a virtual hard disk with the parameters you need and then develop a process for installing and configuring the Virtual Machine - in your case with the Pi installation utility. It's an intricate dance, but it's easier than I'm probably making it sound. Post a basic game plan, and we can work thru the details to get you started...

I may be out in Left Field with this, that's just due to not having a complete picture of things - but that never stopped me, shouldn't stop you either... *winks*

Of course you knew this was coming, so here it is:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary,,,"
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:27 pm

It is actually not as much about how to make the VM.
My issue is compiling the binary, so that it will run on a pi.
I would prefer developing on a VM, simply because it's easier and faster than doing it directly on the pi.

But I just got my hands on a Odroid N2+ with plenty of ram, so I will see if a binary built on that would run on my pi :-)
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:44 pm

[img]

workworkwork.png
workworkwork.png (Array KiB) Viewed 6272 times

[/img]
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Thu May 18, 2023 2:23 pm

I just want to give a short update, to let you guys know I'm still working on this when I have the time.
For anyone interested in following more closely on where I am with it, the project is already publicly available here:
https://github.com/arjepsen/d8b_pi

It will take some time, 'cause it's a big project, but here it's easier to see what is happening :-)
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum