Change font size   Print view

Swapping CPUs?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Swapping CPUs?

Postby magicbuss » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:26 pm

Hi Folks,

Wondering if there are any issues with the interchanging of consoles and CPUs other than having to reauthorize EFX?
Do you have to reauthorize again if you restore back to original pairing? Also, what if one set was 3.0 and the other 5.1?
I would think the operating system would have to stay with the CPU, but not sure if that is all there is to it.

Thanks
magicbuss

Re: Swapping CPUs?

Postby Y-my-R » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:13 pm

Each D8B Console (the mixer unit part, not the rack unit part) has a chip in it, that has a serial number permanently written into it.

Mackie OS 5.1 will check for that serial number every time you boot up the computer, to make sure it matches the serial number that was used to activate the Mackie OS 5.1 itself, and also all the plug-ins.

I guess if you were to authorize two rack units (or "CPUs" as you call that... technically, the CPU is just the main processor inside the computer, though, not the entire computer... always confusing to see a whole computer unit be called "CPU") using the same original "Console" serial code for activation, you could probably swap out rack units without getting an activation prompt, as long as the Console stays the same. (Once you'd try to use those rack units with a different Console, they'd all give an activation prompt again, though).

Mackie OS 3 doesn't require an authorization for the OS itself - but the plug-ins will still compare the serial number and give you an activation prompt, if the console changes, or a rack unit for a different console is connected.

IMO, the best way to have more than one D8B rack units available, that work with any console, regardless of their built-in serial number, is to use the hacked version of the Mackie OS 5.1. This circumvents the serial code check, and as a result, you can use a D8B rack unit with the hacked OS on it, with any D8B console you want (or have more than one rack unit ready to go, so you have a spare... that's how I have it, here).

The hack that is easiest to use, can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1634&p=15134&hilit=MackieOS.exe#p15134

In the ZIP file that is attached to the post, there's a file named "MackieOS.exe". On a fresh installation of the Mackie OS 5.1 (don't try with an older Mackie OS version - this will most likely fail), replace the file "MackieOS.exe" on your D8B harddrive, with the file from the hack. Then restart. After that, there will be no OS authorization prompt, and all the plug-ins will show as authorized.

(I had nothing to do with the hack, but this type of question comes up very often in different shapes or forms here on the forum... the hack above is often the answer).

Best of luck!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby magicbuss » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:05 pm

Thank you! Very helpful information. The 5.1 hack sounds like the best approach. Been a long time since I did a fresh installation, doubt if the floppy still works. Is there a work around for that as well?
magicbuss

Postby jf_uk » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:15 pm

Owwhhhh... It's *not* a "hack" - the Mackie OS was opened up in an IDE and stepped through until the license validation function was found. It would take a key, and either say true or false; The -patch- merely makes a jmp over the entire validation func, ignoring whatever is passed to it, and returns true, every time. This way was the simplest to essentially do-away with the licensing altogether. So.. for future reference, it's a PATCH.
I'm glad others have found it useful. I'm still using my desk, and it all purrs great still.

Heh heh. Hack... such a dirty term. ;)
jf_uk

Postby Old School » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:59 pm

Hi jf_uk,
I would like to thank you again for your patch! 5.1 was promised to me as a FREE upgrade because of when I bought my D8B, shortly thereafter Mackie dropped all support for the D8B, and then their validation server crashed. But thanks to your patch, I finally have what I already paid for.

Have a blessed day,
Mike
Wanna make God laugh, ...Tell Him your plans
Old School
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:48 am

I can't wait until can get this "damn" donated desk to actually work, so that I can upgrade it via the Patch from OS 5.0 to OS 5.1 and get all of the plugins working cotrrectly.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum