Change font size   Print view

Cpu fan replacement

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Cpu fan replacement

Postby Carlo » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:22 pm

Dear all,

Is there a different option to replace the cpu fan other than the Zalman FB 123? My fan is doing loud noises when i swith on the dib for the first time. Then i restart the d8b and all is quiet.

Any suggestions pls?
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Cpu fan replacement

Postby csp » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:34 pm

Carlo, it was a long time ago, but at the time there was quite a bit of discussion re various fans that could be used.

Unfortunately I can't remember what the brands and models were, but possibly a really good search of the forum or possibly the database might throw up some info.

In the meantime good luck and hopefully others might have a better memory than me.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Carlo » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:43 pm

Thanks David
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby arjepsen » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:00 pm

There are some options.
Noctua does make some small fans that would fit the original cpu cooler.

I ended up getting something with a bigger heatsink:
https://www.quietpc.com/ac-copper-silent3
I believe it's the largest heatsink that fits the motherboard.
I removed the fan it came with, and put a noctua 80" on it.
If I put my ear right next to it, I might actually be able to hear it - on a good day... :lol:

This cooler is a bit tricky to find nowadays though - I think I found mine on ebay.
arjepsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby magicbuss » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:27 pm

I just revived an old D8B and the fan was also very noisy. Searched around and found a few options on ebay but not exactly the same. I ordered one and then got creative. The fan easily slips out of the clips on top of the heatsink, so I removed it, placed it on a paper towel on top of the power supply cover. Tried something radical and dripped a lightweight machine oil into the gap in the fan. Then layed the fan over at different angles over the next few hours and let any excess drip out onto the paper towel. Wiped it off, ran it while holding in my hand for a few minutes with paper towel around just in case it threw any excess out then put back on the heatsink. Nothing to disconnect or splice.

SCORE! It worked out great! It is quieter than it ever was! That was a month ago and it is still whisper quiet and I have a spare if it quits. Took a chance, figured if it didn't work the replacement is on the way.
Wish I had tried this hack many years ago!
magicbuss

Return to d8b Forum