Change font size   Print view

Chan 1 is 2 chan 2 is 1 ? swapped

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Chan 1 is 2 chan 2 is 1 ? swapped

Postby funk » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:51 pm

here is an odd one just to give the boffins something to think about :-)
this has only just started happening yesterday. the d8b has been off for a week or so was ok up to then,

Its a MK1 d8b old mobo,
with an apogee clock card.

Turned it on and the pairs of inputs are all switched round
1 is 2
2 is 1
3 is 4
4 is 3... and so on all through to 24.
not tried it with input cards yet, just the ins on fader bank 1,

on the meters, so if i turn the input gain up or fader on chan 1 its showing up on chan 2 bar meter
and so it is with all the faders through to 24 ins, so all the odds are evens and all the even chans are od numbered.
so i upluged all cards ( except clock ) and its the same, sometimes it would be ok and act as normal.
but most of the time its doing the swapped odd/even thing, so i changed the clock card, and its all ok.
so something on the clock card is swapping pairs of chans around, some sort of inversion thing ?
its the same no matter what settings or sample rates are.

ideas anyone ?, im just going to run a solder iron over some bits on the card and see what happens :-)
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
"Funk is what you dont play"........GREAT.....im off to the pub then,
funk

Re: Chan 1 is 2 chan 2 is 1 ? swapped

Postby csp » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:30 am

Funk,

That is almost welcome to my world !!!!!!!

BUT please don't speak to loud as the desk that I am working on might hear you and think that is something that just for fun it could add to the pot and throw at me !!!!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:57 am

Does it do this after a few boot ups?
Try the standard procedure, pull out the big connector power off of course, wait a few minutes and re connect, also clean and re seat the data connector, if this doesn’t fix things you might want to do a ribbon connector clean and re seat.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby doktor1360 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:47 pm

funk wrote:here is an odd one just to give the boffins something to think about :-)
this has only just started happening yesterday. the d8b has been off for a week or so was ok up to then,

Its a MK1 d8b old mobo,
with an apogee clock card.

Turned it on and the pairs of inputs are all switched round
1 is 2
2 is 1
3 is 4
4 is 3... and so on all through to 24.
not tried it with input cards yet, just the ins on fader bank 1,

on the meters, so if i turn the input gain up or fader on chan 1 its showing up on chan 2 bar meter
and so it is with all the faders through to 24 ins, so all the odds are evens and all the even chans are od numbered.
so i upluged all cards ( except clock ) and its the same, sometimes it would be ok and act as normal.
but most of the time its doing the swapped odd/even thing, so i changed the clock card, and its all ok.
so something on the clock card is swapping pairs of chans around, some sort of inversion thing ?
its the same no matter what settings or sample rates are.

ideas anyone ?, im just going to run a solder iron over some bits on the card and see what happens :-)

That's absolutely channel addressing... and the clock card provides the ttl logic (ic chips) used for clocking the data in, around and out of that console. If, for instance, that is causing the addressing to be read on the trailing edge of the clock, as opposed to the leading edge, there's your inversion... and this is happening every second on an order of magnitude. Is this exactly what's taking place? Who's to say at this point in reality, but logically this appears to be the case...

As far as the 'running a soldering iron over some bits' part... DON'T do it unless you're using surface mount tools or you'll stand the good chance that you'll trash that card completely - guaranteed, and it already appears that it's wonky just by your limited testing. Those components are extremely heat sensitive, and require a particular range of lower heat when working with them - something that a standard iron or soldering station isn't capable of providing - they're a coupla hundred degrees hotter and won't set the temp low enuff to work properly with SMT stuff. But it's your clock card, and your choice... but be advised it's something very likely to lead to crippling that card for good... if you happen to 'cook' even one trace on the top layer, or worse go thru the surface to the layers underneath, you're done... game over for that expensive Apogee clock card. But, again, by the sounds (sic) of it that ship has already sailed...

I'd personally chalk it up as a funky Apogee clock card and in the interim go about my business with what works - and then make the decision that if I absolutely needed the Apogee card, I'd have to locate and purchase one...

Of course, the standard caveat belongs here:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby funk » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:15 pm

@ CSP....
ahhhh to late, the desk your working on will feel the negitive vibes as you think about it, you will have inadvertently set your own trap, its only a matter of time now :-) hehe... good luck with the desk.

@ Phil.....
Hi Phil, did some of that except go inside, its defo the clock card, tried 2 other clock cards now both fine, soon as i put this duff one back in, its doing the odd even thing again, thanks for reaching out.

@ Dok....
i did the solder iron thing, but just over the biggger caps and diodes, iv got a good expensive Weller temp controlled ironas well as a few of the normal weller 35w ones, i do a bit of electronics anyway, so im not too bad surface mount stuff.
anyway did that and its still the same, now i did this with a MFX card a while ago that was giving input but no output and this worked on giving me output again, what i did was.. all the little tiny holes that carry the track connectors from the top of the board to the bottom ( and mid if there are any layers there) i just pressed a pin into the holes front and back to splay the sides very slightly incase there was a bad connection between the top board and bottom and hay presto it worked ! now that worked on one FX card but not another one i had ( the one i end up using as a floor adhisive spreader, which its great for TBF :-) ). so iv just done most of the holes on the clock card and guess what? ......... its still the same :-( al do the rest of the holes just incase, and try again later, had enough today now, im starting to think about Beer,

by way this is not my main desk, which is just the gift that just keeps giving, but another acquisition to play with, to try and use a modern mobo /pc, inspired by some posts on here...so bit of testing going on.
Last edited by funk on Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
funk

Postby funk » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:08 am

Ok ... did the pin thingy on all the holes and it now seems to be working,
also did as phil says and did a bit of disconnecting and connecting of some of its guts and
iv done about 10 power ups with an mp3 player going through it, and all seems to be good,,,, for now !
so now im not even sure it is the card, just a random thing, buts its funny how it never did the flipflop thing with the other two apogee cards, ahhh well.. al keep yall updated if it decides to chuck its toys out the pram again.
funk

Postby funk » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:11 am

update......
dok ... your logic is confirmed, “When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” (spock) :-)
its started doing it again, the card with the original prob, and the one worked on with the splayed through pin try, so i have swapped the clock card and done quite a few power ups now and all good, so defo can confirm its the clock card.
so.... i have a free clock card if anyone wants to try and work out what it is thats flipping the sig, sometimes its ok and then somtimes it does the flip flop thing in a row of about 6 or 7 ish times.
funk

Return to d8b Forum