Change font size   Print view

File not found BOOT FAIL before install os V5.1

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

File not found BOOT FAIL before install os V5.1

Postby Davids » Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:13 am

My d8b was working perfectly, suddenly it crashed for 2 or 3 seconds, and it kept working, so I decided to reinstall the operating system and the plugins, the installers ran perfectly, then it asked to reboot and remove the floppy (in my case it is an emulator) , which I did and it just shows the following:
Searching for boot Record from IDE-0.. OK
Copyright (c) 2000 MDI
File not Fund
BOOT FAIL
I appreciate your help.
Davids

Re: File not found BOOT FAIL before install os V5.1

Postby doktor1360 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:03 pm

Davids wrote:My d8b was working perfectly, suddenly it crashed for 2 or 3 seconds, and it kept working, so I decided to reinstall the operating system and the plugins, the installers ran perfectly, then it asked to reboot and remove the floppy (in my case it is an emulator) , which I did and it just shows the following:
Searching for boot Record from IDE-0.. OK
Copyright (c) 2000 MDI
File not Fund
BOOT FAIL
I appreciate your help.

That failure indicates there's an issue with the system (BIOS) detecting the hard drive - (I assume you're using a hard disk), If that's the case, the disk is probably older and showing signs of wearing out. You can try reformatting it to a default blank disk, and reinstalling the operating system... but there's clearly no guarantee it's gonna work...

My default suggestion to anyone encountering these type of 'show stoppers' is to obtain and install a 4GB Compact Flash Card and Adapter... and save yourself a whole lot of headaches. You'll thank yourself for doing it...

Compact Flash Card:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-CompactFlash-Memory-SDCFH-004G-U46/dp/B0007QU6ZQ/ref=asc_df_B0007QU6ZQ?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80539344142696&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138871693978&psc=1

CF-to-IDE Adapter Assembly:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097XS4SXP/?coliid=I23FA3L0JSOZZO&colid=2XMBE7N5UTUMT&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The CF cards have the benefit of no moving parts, no heat generated and quiet. They also 'journal' the operations due it being a solid state type device, almost eliminating post-crash operational issues (if ever encountered), It's almost a defacto-standard anymore when one of these consoles is purchased...

However, that all being said, here's comes the caveat :
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."

Hopefully, this was of some help to ya...

Enjoy your weekend!
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:17 pm

Davids,

Re your problem.

I have had major problems with a donated desk and as part of the help Dok suggested the flash drive swap over.

I was most reluctant, but finally in desperation I took the plunge and it has been installed now for a couple of months and has not missed a beat.

Can I also suggest that you install the OS 5.1 Hack (just do a forum search for the topic) as it does away with having to have an ESN/authentications for the OS and plugins. Again something that I was reluctant to do but finally did and there has been no problem.

Just a couple of suggestions,

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Davids » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:46 am

Thank you all very much for your help, I solved it with a post that I found where it indicated to turn off the LBA mode, and the problem was solved.
doctor1360 I just bought it, thank you very much for the suggestion, it's something I want to do soon, and repair the faders, (I disconnected them all as a precaution and I'm using it through the PC.
Csp, fortunately the console came with all the plugins activated and they passed me the keys, I tried to install the OS 5.1 Hack, but I couldn't access the hard disk by ftp, or by MSDOS, I'll try again when I install the compact flash card. Thank you very much, happy start to the week.
Davids

Postby doktor1360 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:28 pm

Davids wrote:Thank you all very much for your help, I solved it with a post that I found where it indicated to turn off the LBA mode, and the problem was solved.
doctor1360 I just bought it, thank you very much for the suggestion, it's something I want to do soon, and repair the faders, (I disconnected them all as a precaution and I'm using it through the PC.
Csp, fortunately the console came with all the plugins activated and they passed me the keys, I tried to install the OS 5.1 Hack, but I couldn't access the hard disk by ftp, or by MSDOS, I'll try again when I install the compact flash card. Thank you very much, happy start to the week.

Kewlio... I'd also have to posthumously add the 'My Bad' here for assuming the BIOS settings were correct and/or undisturbed...

Which, after further review, leads me to also suggest that when you get the parts for the CF conversion and go to physically install them, it'd probably be a real good opportunity to change the CMOS battery (type 2032) on the motherboard itself - that literally may be the reason for the disks LBA setting being mangled... and it's also one of those periodic, inexpensive maintenance steps where "it can't hurt, but it sure might help" applies. It also safely mitigates a bunch of other potential BIOS related 'gotchas'...

And of course, you knew it was coming so here it is :
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..."
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum