Change font size   Print view

Hack 2 ?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Hack 2 ?

Postby TySTUDIO » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:31 pm

Can someone direct me to where to find this...I checked the database but could not find it.

Thanks,

Kev
TySTUDIO

Re: Hack 2 ?

Postby csp » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:16 pm

Kev,

Unfortunately it is quite a read, but if you scroll through my long topic "Not Quite The End Of The Saga" you will find everything you want/need to know about finding and installing the Hack 2 system.

The important thing is to do it exactly as detailed, especially the making of the disk images rather than trying to copy files directly to disks ---- that is required if you do not have OS 5.1 already installed and authorised as the Hack only works with that OS system.

As you will read, I was somewhat reluctant to go the flash card route, but after finally doing so it is definitely the way to go.

Hope this helps and good luck.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Hack 2 ?

Postby Y-my-R » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:34 pm

Hey Kev,

Sorry for not jumping on this thread, earlier (I think I didn't, because we already went over this in this thread: https://d8bforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2296&p=19818&hilit=hack#p19818. The forum search function is your friend).

If you can get that bent pin on your harddrive working, the first post when following the link below, has an attachment:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1634&hilit=crack&start=150

You'd first connect the harddrive from your D8B to your computer (if it still has IDE connectors, you can do so directly, otherwise, you'd need a IDE-to-USB adapter), then find and rename the file "MackieOS.exe" on it... to something like "MackieOS_old.exe" or anything else... just to make sure it doesn't get overwritten in the next step.

Then you download and unzip the file from the link above, that also contains a file named "MackieOS.exe" - put that in the place where you found the original version of that file, that we just renamed (you want to keep it, so you can go back to how it was, if anything goes wrong).

After that, you have to put the drive back into the D8B. You also said that you reset the BIOS. There's info on what the correct settings for the D8B motherboard are in the database. But the settings are different for the "old" motherboard and the "newer" motherboard.

Here's how to figure out which motherboard you have:

https://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html#Post14

The first picture in this article is the "newer" motherboard. Note that there are 3 memory slots on the right (if the cards installed in the computer are facing to the left).

The second picture shows the "old" motherboard. Note that there are 6 memory slots towards the top of the motherboard (when the cards are facing to the left, like in the picture). 4 shorter/white ones and two longer/black ones.
(The longer/black ones are the better choice, if you happen to have both types of memory... but that should already be installed... I'm just bringing this up, as an easy way to tell the difference between the old and newer motherboards).

Once you know if you have the older or newer motherboard, you can find info/links to PDF files on how to make the BIOS settings for each of those motherboards is in the database, here:
https://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html

Try how far you get with this, and please keep notes of what steps you are taking and if there are any error messages (please write down the EXACT error message... don't paraphrase), and where you're getting stuck. Then we can pick it up from there.

Best of luck in the meantime!
Y-my-R
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum