Change font size   Print view

An amusing Bob Tudor story

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

An amusing Bob Tudor story

Postby FrankH » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:50 pm

Just wanted to tell this old Bob Tudor story that still cracks me up. For those of you who don’t know who Bod Tudor was (he passed away ten years ago), Bob wrote the original software and oversaw development for the D8B. He was a force.

Back when Mackie was in the middle of the lawsuit with Behringer over Behringer's blatant copying of the 32*8 mixer, Bob Tudor noticed that Behringer had yet to register a website using the name: behringer.com.

So he bought and registered the name for himself. When questioned about this by Behringer’s lawyers during depositions, he said the website was named after his dog, Behringer. There wasn’t a thing Behringer could do about it.

Eventually, Bob sold it back to them for a tidy sum. I think he was the only one to actually make money (besides the lawyers) off the Mackie/Behringer lawsuit.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: An amusing Bob Tudor story

Postby csp » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:19 pm

Frank,

I have heard the story before, but still a great story and good on him.

It actually reminds me of a similar incident (but in reverse) that happened to me more than 60 yrs ago. I invented a revolutionary new amplifier --- actually a revolutionary new amplifier/speaker system with what was at the time (and probably still is !!!) unheard of specs. I made/sold about 10 of these systems (in my father's garage), but one of the world's biggest electronics/amplifier companies got hold of one of my units and discovered that I had not patented/registered the design (I was far to young to even think of such a thing or that I could possibly have at the time still taken legal action, etc). The company promptly registerd the design and ultimately made millions.

The design was fully valve, but used a technique/design that later became the standard for all solid state amplifiers and I think that even today in various forms it is still the basis for all/most audio amplifiers --- especially the more powerfull units.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:06 pm

csp wrote:Frank,

I have heard the story before, but still a great story and good on him.

It actually reminds me of a similar incident (but in reverse) that happened to me more than 60 yrs ago. I invented a revolutionary new amplifier --- actually a revolutionary new amplifier/speaker system with what was at the time (and probably still is !!!) unheard of specs. I made/sold about 10 of these systems (in my father's garage), but one of the world's biggest electronics/amplifier companies got hold of one of my units and discovered that I had not patented/registered the design (I was far to young to even think of such a thing or that I could possibly have at the time still taken legal action, etc). The company promptly registerd the design and ultimately made millions.

The design was fully valve, but used a technique/design that later became the standard for all solid state amplifiers and I think that even today in various forms it is still the basis for all/most audio amplifiers --- especially the more powerfull units.

David

Ouch. That has to sting a bit.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:19 pm

Crash,

YEP !!!!!!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:17 pm

David: Jeez, that's a miserably ended story. Sorry to hear this one.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:53 pm

Frank,

Thanks but now all long past history and one of the MANY mistakes that I have made over the years, the latest accepting a donated Mackie d8b desk, but that is another story !!!!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum