Change font size   Print view

OT: "Perfect Circuit Audio"

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

OT: "Perfect Circuit Audio"

Postby csp » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:03 am

Sorry if this is way off topic.

Has anyone either heard of, or had any dealings with an organisation called "Perfect Circuit Audio" who are based in California.

A community music association who I am doing a bit of honorary work for (ie helping them build/establish a small studio) have just purchased via e-Bay an Alesis Masterlink, the unit being air freighted to Australia --- very well packaged.

On its arrival, the receiver noted that there was what sounded like something loose inside, however not knowing anything about the unit, he contacted me (I have one as part of my studio setup --- hence my recommendation).

Earlier today he brought the unit around.

Externally it appeared to be in very good condition, but on picking it up, there was an obvious quite loud rattle (more like a major clunking) inside the unit.

The first thing I noticed was that the screws holding on the unit's lid were not original --- Masterlink's screws are black, there were a mixture of black and silver.

On opening the unit, I discovered the reason for the noise --- the hard drive/CD drive unit's housing was floating inside the case. I was able to re-seat this housing and tighten the screws.

The next thing I observed was that the power supply unit had a number of PC power type plugs hanging from it and that it had leads (ie cables) everywhere. Although I thought this rather strange, I had never pulled my unit apart so I did not know what a Masterlink looked like inside its case.

On connecting the unit to power, nothing happened (ie it did not start up).

I then decided to get my unit and compare the two.

On opening my unit, I discovered that apart from the PC board at the rear of the case (ie I guess the main electronics and input/output section) and the CD/DH housing, the two units were completely different. Mine was also very neat and tidy --- no loose cables, etc.

The purchased unit has obviously suffered some form of major failure and the power supply section (which on my unit fits neatly between the CD/HD housing and the side of the case), has been replaced by some form of computer power supply (complete with its own IEC connector socket, which has been bypassed by some very shoddy soldering).

On closely inspecting this power supply, there are wires twisted together (un insulated), bare wires (with soldered ends) touching the side of the metal casing, etc. etc ,etc.

We took a couple of photos of both my unit and the purchased unit for reference and proof of condition.

The purchaser had the contact details of the seller, so I immediately phoned them (international call) to see what the story was and what they were going to do about the situation, but they apparently do not trade on Saturday. I will contact them on Monday (their time) to try to get some answers.

The unit is definitely not an original Alesis Masterlink and as far as I am concerned is a potential safety risk if used. Luckly I did not touch any metal part while it was powered on. I also have no idea if the installed PC power supply is an international voltaged supply, as is the case with a real Masterlink.

I have advised the purchaser to immediately contact E-bay to advise them of what has taken place and to possibly place a stop on them trading until something has been sorted out.

By the was, the seller advertised the unit as "being in perfect working order and having come from a professional studio situation where it had only been used a few times......".

I admit, that it could be a simple mistake and that they may take full reliability, but it is probably going to cost to have it returned, and it has placed me in a difficult position as I recommended purchasing a Masterlink -- although I had recommended another seller --- about the same purchase price, but much more expensive in shipping.

Anyone with any knowledge of the seller will be greatly appreciated.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: OT: "Perfect Circuit Audio"

Postby anyhorizon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Ah, the joys of ebay! Make a complaint to PayPal (if that was used) or to ebay, if you have some time up your sleeve. Don't mention that you've opened it, just say it doesn't work. Did you check voltage selection? You may have just blown a fuse.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby csp » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:49 am

Peter,

The Masterlink units as shipped by Alesis have a universal voltage switch mode power supply -- my own unit I purchased from a retail outlet in Denver while visiting my son.

The problem with the unit just purchased is that it has been completely mangeled -- swapped CD drive, god only knows where the power supply came from, CD/HD housing floating inside the case and bare wires from the power supply touching the metal casing and I would most definitely say that the operating voltage was 115Volts only.

I have spoken to the seller and he is shocked that his company's quality control was slack and has offered a full refund.

He should fire someone when he see the photos that the purchaser took and is sending to him.

We will now just have to see what happens!!!!!!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:44 am

Good luck with that David... I have had pretty good luck with eBay. Just a couple of problems but those were a major headache. I still think well of eBay though. On one transaction arbitration helped out, so I was satisfied on that one... however it was a total time consuming nightmare. On the second one (a poser in Michigan) I choose to cut my losses and Karma's gonna get him. Afro Reach a.k.a. Neo... a.k.a Vincz Pvel and a.k.a who knows who else :roll: - Not surprising that shortly after the sale, his account folded and his feedback there were many negatives. Poor guy I really don't think he knows how lame he is. :lol:

FYI: My Masterlink has a universal switching power supply for what it is worth and I have one of the earlier ones. 100-230-volts with an IEC type grounded inlet on the back of the unit. Never noticed that before. I lernt something today! :mrgreen:

Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:01 am

Thought I would let you see the unit that was purchased, including a close-up of the power supply (note the bare cables touching the chassis and the other wires that are simply twisted together (not soldered) and covered with tape, as well as a shot of my original unit (note the different CD units.

I had already re-seated the CD/HD unit in the photo of the purchased unit.

AND, the units was advertised as being in perfect condition and having been used only a few times in a professional studio environement!!!!!!!!!!! Damn sure I would not want to record there.

David
Attachments
pwrsupply.jpg
pwrsupply.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 3941 times
purchased.jpg
purchased.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 3941 times
original.jpg
original.jpg (Array KiB) Viewed 3941 times
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:42 am

Conclusion to the saga.

When they (the sellers) saw the photos, they agreed to have it sent back (at their expense) and on its return credited all the money paid (including initial shipping cost).

I now actually feel a bit sorry for the seller, as the transaction has cost them quite a bit of money (freight alone is more than the purchase price) and I doubt if they will ever be able to sell the unit, as Alesis has no spare parts for the Masterlink --- although this is a worry in itself for all the Masterlink owners through out the world.

It is obvious that the unit (when purchased by them and before shipping) was not tested, even though on the item's e-Bay sale page, it said that it had been and was in perfect original working order.

The Music Association who purchased the unit are now looking for another unit --- hopefully this unit will be a good one!!!!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:36 am

Hi Dave,

It is the cost of doing business, just be glad you caught the malady. My buddy Dave is a repairer of many brands, the Alesis Masterlink being one of them. I think the authorized centers have the parts to make repairs. According to him, he is mostly doing software and CD upgrades on these units as there isn't a call for many repairs --- of course he didn't see what happened to this unit bought off eBay!!! It looks to me that the power supply got replaced or repaired and lazily got fastened in the "wrong" cavity. But what do I know... I am only looking at the photos - either way "perfect original order" ... NOT!

He still gets new parts from equipment that hasn't been made in decades - new in the box. They clear out a warehouse somewhere in the world and it gets sent to him - amazing stuff.

Glad it worked out (sorta),
Michael

It is good you had a reputable seller that stands behind his stuff. That poser guy in Michigan I mentioned earlier in this thread... not so much. :x
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:54 am

Michael,

I'm also glad it worked out as the community organisation that purchased the unit do not have all that much spare cash --- lets hope the next one they buy (from a different seller) is as described ---- "in perfect original working order".

The powersupply on the one now returned, would not have fitted into the correct position, It had definitely come from some form of computer --- it even had its own IEC power socket and most of the joints were not even soldered, simply twisted together and then covered in electrical tape (most of which had slid from the joint.

I would love to know, who did the repair/modification!!!!!!

I was actually thinking about sending a copy of the photos to Alesis --- just so that they could shake their heads!!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby PerfectCircuitAudio » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:19 am

Hello.
Perfect Circuit Audio here :)
I was pointed to this thread by one of our potential customers. I would like to make some clarifications.

Yes the unit that was sold and had an issue and yes it was done by mistake by my employee.

1. We issued a full refund

2. We paid for return shipping.

3. We did not fire the employee, because we are all people, and people make mistakes. We had a serious talk with our guy and he will make sure to check things better. We are not a corporation that can fire people left and right in the middle of the worst economic crises.

We are a small company in California, that works hard to provide great product and excellent customer service.

To those that have had a negative experience on ebay : pick the right seller. Any negative situation can always be turned into a positive one, like in Dave's case.

Thanks,

Brad & Tanya
PerfectCircuitAudio

Postby csp » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:40 am

Brad & Tanya,

As I stated, your organisation came to the party and took the unit back and I believe fully re-inbursed the buyer.

At the time of my initial posting, things were not going to well for the purchaser, as he is a retired gentleman and had paid for the unit out of his own pocket (the money he was to get back from the Association on delivery of the unit).

For my part I wish your organisation all the best and as stated, I feel sorry that you will probably be out of pocket as a result of the sale.

My only (last) question would have to be, why did you not test the unit before purchasing it from the person/organisation that you obviously purchased it from initially, as I would have thought that this would have been part of "Business 101"?

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum