Change font size   Print view

d8b color - paint

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

d8b color - paint

Postby AMP studio » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:20 pm

My d8b is getting rusty :|

I know i can't paint it's surface because of the markings but, besides the small indicators of rust that are starting to show on the paint around the faders and switches there are also some severe scratches, above the meters area (double :| ) ...caused by me.

Do you know what is the color code for the paint to be used to repaint that metal surface?
Maybe a Pantone code or even the type of paint to be used.
I was considering the type of paint used in scale modelling but it does seem to always be brighter that the one used on the d8b, wich is matte.

I guess i'll have to remove the top panel, the one shown in the photo, completely remove the original paint and repaint the whole panel, but i'd like to keep its original color.
Attachments
MVC-007F.JPG
Scratched d8b top panel.
MVC-007F.JPG (Array KiB) Viewed 3259 times
AMP studio
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: d8b color - paint

Postby Petersueco » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:18 pm

Hello Paulo.

I really don't know what to say. Those scratches look very bad. I'm sorry I can't be of any help here. :cry:

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AMP studio » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:17 pm

It's just the paint that has come out, the metal is still perfect.
The console's surface is worrying me too. It's getting ugly with very small spots showing in the paint, like when a car starts to get rusty and you see tiny bubbles erupting from behind the paint.
I guess there will be no remedy for this because of the stecilled markings, but here, on the console's top, i expect to repaint it, if i could find the right color.
AMP studio
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Petersueco » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:24 pm

I also got those tiny bubbles around the talkback button. I guess that's a sing of how old the mixer is. :P

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AMP studio » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:57 pm

That's it!

I was wondering if my studio had too much humidity! ...well, it has, since i'm located close to sea and river, but, having a rusty console seemed way too much.
It started right there, close to the T/B button but now it's visible, and sensible, around the most used faders and in the whole button space to the right.
AMP studio
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:02 pm

Before I left there, I acquired a small bottle of touch up paint. Last time I looked at it, the paint had dried into a solid block inside the bottle. All of Mackie metal was painted in house and in a different building than assembly. There was a guy named Mr. Lee, as I recall, that was quite the character (Loud Asian that you could not understand but funny as all get out) that did touch up on the assembly side for any imperfections. Wow, this story really has no bearing at all now does it??

Now that everything has been outsourced to China, I bet getting paint is impossible. All I can suggest is calling the parts department and see if they have any recommendations.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:40 pm

If that panel comes off, you could take it to a paint retailer and they could match it. They're pretty good at that but I'd be inclined to take it to a motor body repair shop and have them do it. They have the pro spray guns and generally bake it in the process. From your photo, it looks like they didn't use any primer which is kinda dumb when painting metal. :shock:

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby AMP studio » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:59 pm

anyhorizon wrote:If that panel comes off, you could take it to a paint retailer and they could match it. They're pretty good at that but I'd be inclined to take it to a motor body repair shop and have them do it. They have the pro spray guns and generally bake it in the process. From your photo, it looks like they didn't use any primer which is kinda dumb when painting metal. :shock:

Peter

Yes, the motor body repair shop is a good idea, and i've been a customer to one (unfortunately).
And yes, there's no primer in the d8b painting.
AMP studio
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:22 pm

I think it's Pantone 446. In RGB hex that's: 404040
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:57 am

For everyone’s information…Frank doubles at Home Depot (an American corporate hardware conglomerate, for those who live outside the USA) --- Yes another lame attempt at some humor. I am pretty sure it failed miserably. :roll: :oops: :shock:

But you gotta love these smileys!!! :mrgreen:

Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum