Change font size   Print view

Faders froze

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Faders froze

Postby Carlo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:14 pm

Dear friends,

LAtely after using the d8b for an hr and so the meters freeze with their corresponding signal on the bridge and the system is frozen with no sound at all. The GUI will remain accessable in fact i can do a normal shut down from the software itself (GUI).

I know the golden answer....DO THE RIBBON CABLE PROCEDURE :) Yes i know however i would like to know if by any chance these symptoms could be related to a faulty rail cap. However i do not have any symptoms described in the database in relation to the rail cap information. BUT i'm concerned about this.

I've been doing the ribbon cable procedure approx 3-4 times yearly. is this normal? Sometimes it takes 5-6 months without freezing but sometime it occurs within 2-3 months then i redo the ribbon cable procedure and happens after 5 months etc. IS this normal????? Do you experience the same frequency guys?

Regarding the hot glue that someone recommended? Will this eliminate the problem completely? If it happes after doing the hot glue will it be possible to remove the glue and reseat the ribbon and put new hot glue? Where should i spot the hot glue? On both sides of the ribbon plug?

Thanks for your help guys

Carlo ;)
If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants........
Carlo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Faders froze

Postby High C Double G » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:45 am

Not all d8b's are created equal, it is certainly not normal for my mixer, the one cable that causes the most trouble could be glued down and maybe this will help, I think that a good one side to secure the cable to the pins would do. It is pointed out in the database the most common problem cable, start there and see how it goes. I think the glue is designed to break loose pretty easily so I would worry about putting it on there. The idea is making a positive connection - common sense with get you there.

Hope this helps,
Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby D8BOSHELP » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Double check all of your bios settings. Something sounds like it maybe out of wack in the bios. Also make sure it's not a clocking error. Check your preferences and make sure your clock settings are correct. If your using the internal clock like the Mackie or Apogee, think about purchasing a real solid clock like the Apogee Big Ben it will get rid of the jitter.
Last edited by D8BOSHELP on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
D8BOSHELP

Postby FrankH » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:16 am

The first rule of electronic gear is: "99% of everything that goes wrong is mechanical".

What you have is a console that's over 10 years old. It has a lot of connectors and cards. At some point, enough oxidation builds up on these connections and they need to be cleaned. Start with the cards and all connectors leading into the back of the unit.

Consider changing your battery. Then reset the BIOS.

See if any of that fixes it.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum