Change font size   Print view

Please listen to this it is only 20 seconds long

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Please listen to this it is only 20 seconds long

Postby bkbannon3 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:29 am

http://soundcloud.com/bkbannon3/gmtp-phasing

Anybody have any ideas as to what is going on with this? Any input would be greatly valued and appreciated. I have tried everything I can think of and have not had any luck. Thanks Brian
bkbannon3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Please listen to this it is only 20 seconds long

Postby FrankH » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:41 am

OK. I've listened. I've been following your other thread/saga....and I think it would help if you answered these questions:

(1) I know you have a D8B and an HDR. How is audio connected between the two machines? And by that, I mean what cards are in both machines...AIO8? OPT8? DIO8? Some combination? What kind of cabling is involved?

(2) How are these two machine tied together, clock-wise?

(4) So there's the stereo mix. How did you generate that file? And specifically: the entire chain and all gear involved.
Don't spare the details.

(5) How are you monitoring during tracking and mixing. Again: detailed signal chain, please.

Finally....that's not "phasing". That's distortion somewhere in the chain. I gotta say, in all my years with a D8B and HDR, I've never heard that particular quality of distortion between the two. Could be caused by any number of things. The more details you provide, the better the trouble shooting guesses will be.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:57 am

Brian,

You have multiple threads (well maybe two, I didn’t really count) with the same issue and you will do better to address your problem with one thread and stick to one thread for each problem you are having. It is easier to follow and you will get better help this way.

By creating multiple threads about the same issue you actually lose any continuity and it is hard for us to help you effectively. At this point even though Crash gave you some advice also there is some info on that thread about your chain etc... You would do better to stick with one thread for one issue.

You might think that by starting numerous threads you will draw more attention to your problem or more people will see it or something, the opposite is true. If it were me, or I was you, I would drop all the threads except one (you pick) – you could point to the thread you choose with a link--- if no one posts to the old thread(s) everyone can (and will) concentrate on the single thread and this problem of yours will get solved hopefully.

Is English your first language? I do not mean this in a bad way, you communicate quite well, it is just we get a lot of folks from around the world here and I am just curious is all.

I do not mean to offend you; I would like to see you solve this problem you are having.

Regards,
Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bkbannon3 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the input. I started another thread because the other had lots of views buy no audio sample of what was going on. As far as signal chain, I have 3 opt 8 cards in D8b and HDR. Apogee clock cards. I far as input signal have tried many different set ups with same issue. Different preamps, different channels, recording to all 24 tracks separately and independently. I have tried direct input, no preamps, no patchpay, straight into the board. Same issue. It does this on every mic I own, every instrument, every recording. I have completely taken apart my entire rig and rewired everything to separate a/c cords and audio cable to make sure there is no interference. Yes I am from the US, and English is my first and only language. If I have left something out that would be helpful, please let me know. I appreciate your insight. I am lost and don't know where else to turn. I am willing to try anything to resolve the issue. Not to add to the chaos, but a couple of days ago, for a few hours, everything worked well and I thought the issue had resolved itself, but clearly not. I have reloaded OS on both D8b and HDR. Nothing seems to be working. Thanks for your time. Brian (US citizen) lol.
bkbannon3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:22 pm

FrankH wrote:I gotta say, in all my years with a D8B and HDR, I've never heard that particular quality of distortion between the two. Could be caused by any number of things. The more details you provide, the better the trouble shooting guesses will be.

That is the oddest thing I have heard coming out of that combo as well... Almost like audible SMPTE trails. Having heard it, my money is on the HDR but that is just a semi educated guess....
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:28 pm

My guess is that your sample clock runs at a very low freqency, but I have no idea why... Who's the sync master? Maybe the BNC cable is broken? Maybe the desk is set to 32 kHz (but I think it runs even lower, mabe something around 4 kHz)?

I agree, this is not phasing and an odd kind of distortion.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:33 pm

I noticed the multiple thread thing and chose to ignore it....simply because I thought it would derail focus. And it did. Got a big run-on sentence and half my questions unanswered. However, just enough info to set Synthjoe onto:
My guess is that your sample clock runs at a very low frequency, but I have no idea why... Who's the sync master? Maybe the BNC cable is broken? Maybe the desk is set to 32 kHz (but I think it runs even lower, maybe something around 4 kHz)?

...which I think is the most likely culprit, given the nature of the distortion. Brian, you really need to concentrate on the details of things...otherwise we all wind up playing 20 questions trying to pull answers out of the air.

For instance, I noticed you mention a patchbay. How is that incorporated into your setup? When you say no patchbay" what exactly did you do to eliminate it from the equation?

You also mention that you've been hearing this distortion from tracking all the way through mixing. That only means one thing to me: something that is common to both units. Synthjoe's guess of clocking issues is a good one. Another common thing to both is any analog interface between the two....like badly grounded patchbays, incorrect "normalling" and mix n match of balanced and unbalanced connections. I still want to know how you generated that test file....from cradle to grave.

Another thing is to ask the most fundamental and classic beta test question: If everything worked and then stopped working as expected....what changed? You're really going to have to put some thought into that answer.

Meantime, start checking the integrity of your WC cable between the D8B and HDR and all the WC settings that are available in both units. That's a good start.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bkbannon3 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:44 am

First off, thank all of you for listening and posting suggestions. I have a friend who has a studio nearby and I took my HDR there today. I used his mixer to record some tracks and all worked as it should. The only thing I was unable to check was the clock connection. I stopped and bought a new bnc cable and will try it next. I have a couple of other things to test to see if I can narrow it down a bit more. But I know it is not the recorder unless it is the clock card or connection. The test file was created with a direct input from a cd player by passing everything and running directly into the d8b and routing to the HDR. I will replace the bnc cable first, then try looping lightpipe input/output and see what happens with that as well. I will post results first thing in the morning. Thanks again for all the input. I am starting to think that is something in the clock card or the connections that is causing my issue. Brian
bkbannon3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bkbannon3 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:57 pm

Eureka!!! I found my issue. It was a corrupt start up session file. The screen says it was recording at 44.1khz and it was actually recording at 48khz. I corrected the start up file and all seems to be working for the time being. I have shut it down and restarted several times without issue so far. I appreciate the input from everyone involved. This is the only place to get such valuable information and to talk with such knowledgeable people. Thanks again to everyone involved. Brian Bannon
bkbannon3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:52 am

Good to hear....
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum