Change font size   Print view

OT: I think I quit

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

OT: I think I quit

Postby Dan Worley » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:05 am

Just thought I'd share this because it's a big deal for me:

After smoking cigarettes for 43 years (40 of them professionally <wink>), I think I have finally quit. I haven't had a cigarette since Sept. 30.

I didn't use any patches or meds, I just quit, and fortunately by the grace of God I've been able to hold out. The second day was absolutely the worst (hell on earth), then after that it seemed to get easier. Now it's been an entire month and I'm having some stretches of time where I don't think about cigarettes or quitting at all.

I never thought I would be able to quit so this is really a pleasant surprise, especially now that the really out-of-control nicotine fits are under control.

If you're a smoker and you've been considering quitting, I encourage you to give it your best shot. YOU CAN DO IT!

c-ya,

Dan
Dan Worley
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: OT: I think I quit

Postby Petersueco » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:09 am

I quited cigarettes more than 2 years ago and I thought is would be very difficult.

The thing is that it really isn't that difficult at all, is is very easy. As you say the two first days are quite hard.

The tobacco and pharmaceutical companies have been telling you too many times that it's difficult. Finally you end up believing it.

Probably the best thing you will ever do for your health. Thanks for sharing.

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby High C Double G » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:21 am

Congrats Dan...!!!

yes it is a big deal and keep it going! I guarantee you will hit some walls and they will not be that easy. I agree the first days are the hardest but nicotine is great man... it is the happy drug: Too bad it can kill you.

If it were not so dangerous and harmful to my health and the welfare of those around me, I mean this to the core of me... I would still smoke, but I am convinced that it is harmful to me and those around me so I quit too. It is not a competition so if you have a few days, a few weeks, or a few years... it is good to NOT smoke.

And those periods of not thinking about it will get longer... that is another guarantee, I go for very long periods of time without thinking about a smoke, but when it hits me I know it is insanity to think I could have just one so the moment passes; honestly I do not even entertain the thought really. I am not sure I have another "quit" in me (this last one was painful). I'm done too...

At this time the thought of a cigarette just flat out disgusts me (sorry to all you smokers out there) but I would rather pierce a pitch fork through my foot than have a ciggy right now.

Congrats to you too Peter, I do not mean to exclude you... anyone who smokes knows. Keep it going!!! I am a smoker that does not smoke no matter what! The best way to quit is to never start... I thought it was cool and then... hooked. Like a fish gaffed and getting hauled into the boat... that is what smoking is a gaff. Most everyone that smokes wants to quit have you noticed? I would smoke except it it bad for those around me, my pocketbook, and my future/ moving on... :arrow:

Michael

PS: 6 years... 9 months... 6 days... but who's counting? ;)
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Soundchasm » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:03 am

Dan,
That's an unbelievable accomplishment!! The Evil Weed is the toughest of the tough. I quit for two years once, and then somebody made me mad, so I figure, "I'll show you, I'll hurt me", or, "I'm so mad, I'll smoke at you"... Was only going to smoke for a few days, and that was in the 90's. It was easier to quit then, because I was surrounded by smokers, and I could see how ludicrous the habit was.

Nowadays I'm virtually alone in my habit, and self-delusion is much easier without a reality check of seeing all the other lemmings with the same hook in their mouths. I'd offer that you stay on high alert with daily affirmations of what you've gained and how much you could still lose. One of these days smokers are going to look like they're having all the fun.

Singing was the only thing that ever motivated me to quit, and it may work again. When you start hitting notes you've NEVER hit before and get through three sets with life left in the vocal chords, you'll have something you'll never want to give up.
Soundchasm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:29 am

Just an FYI... I wanted a ciggy today... thought it might be a good idea... didn't have one and the moment passed. I got a good friend who is battling this thing right now - not for wimps.

Good points indeed Greg, good points indeed. The want to not smoke needs to be greater than the want to smoke.

Good luck in your quitting for good and to an extended range!

Michael
Make some noise!!!
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:24 am

Hi Dan,

Good on you! and i'm sure you will see the benifits from now on, health and pocket wise!

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Mistahand » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:50 pm

good for you.. I quit over 20 years ago... and havent looked back.
Keep it up, you will feel much better as the time passes.
John Dodge
Mistahand

Postby Doug Reid » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:44 am

Hi Guys ! I'm proud of you , Dan. I quit when I was 30...a four pack per day habit. I know I would not be here now if I had continued smoking. Dan, we are here for you if you need us.

Doug Reid
Doug Reid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum