Change font size   Print view

Word CLock...

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Word CLock...

Postby Mistahand » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:34 pm

I am a little confiused here. On my d8b it has a clock card but no bnc connector... how do I synch between my d8b and HDR?
If I can't communicate then does anyone have a Apogee Word card they would like to depart with??

Please let me know

Thanks
John Dodge
Mistahand

Re: Word CLock...

Postby Crash » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:07 pm

It is possible to sync through your lightpipes..though I have found it to be sort of "iffy", at least it was with my rig. If you can source an Apogee clock card, I would say go for it. They are hard to find this late in the game but they are out there for those handy with cash.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:23 pm

Upon further thought, I may be full of crap....Seemed like I remember trying this years ago but maybe I am imagining it. There may be no way to use the embedded wordclock. Anyone else out there remember the deal on this?
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Pulled off the website:

Can I sync other devices to the D8B via ADAT (ODI - light pipe) or AES EBU without the Sync card?

Yes. ADAT/ODI and AES/EBU carry clock info with the digital signal. The D8B must be in Internal mode. You can even chain devices using ADAT ODI or AES EBU.

When transferring a multitrack recording between an Alesis ADAT recorder and the D8B, the D8B (since it's unable to extract word clock from the ADAT input) must serve as the word clock master for the ADAT. With the OPT-8 Output connected to the ADAT Input, setting the ADATs Clock Source to Digital Input will synchronize the two word clocks. Be sure the ADAT and D8B are set for the same sample rate.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Zorba the Geek » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:00 am

Hi guys,

Unfortunately, whilst both the ADAT and AES/EBU protocols are capable of carrying embedded clock information, the intended 'slave' machine must be capable of extracting this clock signal. The HDR is NOT capable of extracting its digital clocking from either of these protocols, but instead requires a word-clock input (or must itself be the 'master' clock).

Mistahand, your d8b sounds like it has the original or stock d8b clock card, which has no BNC connectors. In order to be able to function as the 'master' clock source for your HDR (or to receive an external clock as a 'slave' in other configurations) your d8b must use the Apogee clock card (which has two BNC connectors). These are available on Ebay, however are a little expensive.

Probably not the news you wanted to hear, but the Apogee clock card is a worthy upgrade, as it is a better internal clock source. It also allows for interfacing with other digital audio equipment as it has the two BNC connectors allowing for word-clock output and input.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,
George
Zorba the Geek
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:00 am

Alas, as George has pointed out, I am full of crap.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:56 am

Does it work the other way, though? i.e. HDR as master and d8b as slave, extracting clock from the lightpipe?
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:09 pm

synthjoe wrote:Does it work the other way, though? i.e. HDR as master and d8b as slave, extracting clock from the lightpipe?

Reading what I have in my 3rd post on the matter, I think the answer is no....

...the D8B (since it's unable to extract word clock from the ADAT input) must serve as the word clock master for the ADAT.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Indeed, I just remembered that I had first hand experience of that some time ago... Thanks for confirming. So in short, a d8b without an Apogee clock card is pretty much useless for any other environment than analogue. Sad, but true.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Zorba the Geek » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:11 am

Hi again guys,

Yes, for passing audio, a d8b without an Apogee clock card is a little limited; however, with Marc's new d8brdge concept, the d8b can be transformed into a very capable 24 channel DAW controller. If you already use an audio interface with a DAW, have access to external pre-amps and converters, this new in-the-box method of working may be just what you have been waiting for. I know I am definitely making the transition to the d8b as a DAW controller. Mistahand, as you are using your d8b with an HDR, then yes the Apogee clock card is essential for your requirements.

Cheers,
George
Zorba the Geek
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum