Change font size   Print view

FOR SALE: The Ultimate D8B

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

FOR SALE: The Ultimate D8B

Postby siraltus » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:01 pm

For Sale: The Ultimate D8B

So I am moving across the country, from New York City to San Francisco, and I decided it's time to part ways with my beloved D8B. I love it to death but with all my other gear I will simply have no space for it, plus I really don't want to risk damaging it in shipping, because it's been babied since day one and I'd hate to see even a single scratch on it. Before I resort to eBay, I want to see if I can find a new loving owner for my D8B on this board.

Why is it the Ultimate D8B?

First of all, it's brand-spanking-new. Yup. I had an old ailing D8B (one of the first units ever made) for a couple of years and a year ago finally decided that it'd be more cost effective to score a new board and move my cards to it than repair the old one. It just so happened that I stumbled upon a brand new, in the box, never opened D8B set being sold by a radio station in Wisconsin who bought four of them and only put two into use, so the other two sat in storage unopened for several years. I sniped it and it was the most joyful day of my life to be unpacking a virgin D8B that's never had an owner before. The "brand new gear" smell is intoxicating, as many of you know... The board was used very, very gently over the past year and it has not a single ding, scratch, or nick on it, and of course, all the faders, pots, and buttons are pristine and show zero signs of use (as they hardly ever got any). Same for the CPU/PSU rack box. It is one of the last units made - production date of early 2003, so it has the latest revision boards, including the V3 brain board (most boards have V2, the earliest ones have V1).

Second of all, it is fully, completely, and ultimately expanded. It has:

* Apogee Low-Jitter Clock Card

* Four DIO-8 ADAT/TDIF Digital I/O cards with latest 2.1 ROMs (correcting the clock/signal phase mismatch and adding 24-bit audio support)

* Four UFX cards. Yes, that's right. You can have any Mackie plugin you want on all 16 FX sends at once. (There's no MFX card, I sold it shortly after getting the board.)

* Did I just say "any Mackie plugin"? Yup. I have unlock codes for every single Mackie plugin ever made for the D8B and will include them in this sale.

* Running Mackie OS 5.1, unlock code included.

Extra perks:

Since I like having complete silence in my studio, I made sure the CPU/PSU box is completely silent. And I mean *completely*. I installed a SilenX fan in the PSU and a silent Seagate hard drive, so the CPU/PSU box is making virtually zero noise (unless you put your ear right to it). I also installed a handy reset button in the back so in the rare case you freeze up the board, instead of power-cycling it and sending a nasty pop to your monitors, simply press the reset button and the board reboots and reinitializes. Handy? I think so. Inside the board itself, I secured the dreaded brain and DSP card power connectors with Kapton tape and treated them with DeoxIT beforehand to prevent the infamous "random lockup" problem when the connector intermittently loses contact due to oxidation/thermal expansion.

I am including the following accessories:

* All original cabling: data, power, MIDI breakout, and Ethernet.

* Dell 2001FP 21" 1600x1200 LCD monitor in mint condition, with power supply and VGA cable, plus a 20' VGA cable extension.

* Mini PS/2 keyboard and Logitech MarbleMan trackball in mint condition with USB-to-PS/2 and PS/2-to-DIN adapters and extension cables for both.

* Latest OS 5.1 Owner's Manual printed in color on glossy paper and stowed in a sturdy 3-hole binder.

* List of unlock codes for Mackie OS 5.1 and every single Mackie D8B plug-in for this board's ESN (Electronic Serial Number).

* BONUS: Three 10' 8-channel 1/4 TS snakes and three 15' optical fiber cables so you can hook the beast right up and start mixing.

* Mackie D8B Training VHS cassette and a copy of the Mackie "In Your Face" magazine showcasing the D8B, including interviews with artists and engineers who got hooked on it.

Because this board is in absolutely pristine condition and it's been babied all its life, I will not ship it. You're welcome to pick it up yourself, and if you live within an hour of New York City, I will deliver it to your door for gas money.

You can see plenty of photos here: http://imgur.com/a/xrxZP

Asking $2,000. Looking forward to giving my baby a new home and a loving owner!

Thanks,
--Serge
Last edited by siraltus on Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
siraltus

Re: FOR SALE: The Ultimate D8B

Postby Petersueco » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Wow Serge. Very nice deal! I wish I live in US to take that beauty from your hands, but I'm in Spain and the voltage is an issue.

Good luck finding a nice new owner.

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Soundchasm » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:13 am

Serge,

It sounds like the one sentence you left out might contain "home inspection prior to adoption with references". ;-)

Actually, nothing makes me happier than to see equipment that's been treated with such respect. But sometimes I get a real kick out of seeing some beat-up warhorse and imagining all the stories it could tell.

Good luck.
Thanks,
Greg
Soundchasm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby martytess » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:55 am

Would you ship to Canada? I already own 2 but one is an older model and I need 2 reliable boards...
martytess

Postby siraltus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:46 am

SOLD!
siraltus

Postby Creative69 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:23 pm

siraltus wrote:For Sale: The Ultimate D8B

So I am moving across the country, from New York City to San Francisco, and I decided it's time to part ways with my beloved D8B. I love it to death but with all my other gear I will simply have no space for it, plus I really don't want to risk damaging it in shipping, because it's been babied since day one and I'd hate to see even a single scratch on it. Before I resort to eBay, I want to see if I can find a new loving owner for my D8B on this board.

Why is it the Ultimate D8B?

First of all, it's brand-spanking-new. Yup. I had an old ailing D8B (one of the first units ever made) for a couple of years and a year ago finally decided that it'd be more cost effective to score a new board and move my cards to it than repair the old one. It just so happened that I stumbled upon a brand new, in the box, never opened D8B set being sold by a radio station in Wisconsin who bought four of them and only put two into use, so the other two sat in storage unopened for several years. I sniped it and it was the most joyful day of my life to be unpacking a virgin D8B that's never had an owner before. The "brand new gear" smell is intoxicating, as many of you know... The board was used very, very gently over the past year and it has not a single ding, scratch, or nick on it, and of course, all the faders, pots, and buttons are pristine and show zero signs of use (as they hardly ever got any). Same for the CPU/PSU rack box. It is one of the last units made - production date of early 2003, so it has the latest revision boards, including the V3 brain board (most boards have V2, the earliest ones have V1).

Second of all, it is fully, completely, and ultimately expanded. It has:

* Apogee Low-Jitter Clock Card

* Four DIO-8 ADAT/TDIF Digital I/O cards with latest 2.1 ROMs (correcting the clock/signal phase mismatch and adding 24-bit audio support)

* Four UFX cards. Yes, that's right. You can have any Mackie plugin you want on all 16 FX sends at once. (There's no MFX card, I sold it shortly after getting the board.)

* Did I just say "any Mackie plugin"? Yup. I have unlock codes for every single Mackie plugin ever made for the D8B and will include them in this sale.

* Running Mackie OS 5.1, unlock code included.

Extra perks:

Since I like having complete silence in my studio, I made sure the CPU/PSU box is completely silent. And I mean *completely*. I installed a SilenX fan in the PSU and a silent Seagate hard drive, so the CPU/PSU box is making virtually zero noise (unless you put your ear right to it). I also installed a handy reset button in the back so in the rare case you freeze up the board, instead of power-cycling it and sending a nasty pop to your monitors, simply press the reset button and the board reboots and reinitializes. Handy? I think so. Inside the board itself, I secured the dreaded brain and DSP card power connectors with Kapton tape and treated them with DeoxIT beforehand to prevent the infamous "random lockup" problem when the connector intermittently loses contact due to oxidation/thermal expansion.

I am including the following accessories:

* All original cabling: data, power, MIDI breakout, and Ethernet.

* Dell 2001FP 21" 1600x1200 LCD monitor in mint condition, with power supply and VGA cable, plus a 20' VGA cable extension.

* Mini PS/2 keyboard and Logitech MarbleMan trackball in mint condition with USB-to-PS/2 and PS/2-to-DIN adapters and extension cables for both.

* Latest OS 5.1 Owner's Manual printed in color on glossy paper and stowed in a sturdy 3-hole binder.

* List of unlock codes for Mackie OS 5.1 and every single Mackie D8B plug-in for this board's ESN (Electronic Serial Number).

* BONUS: Three 10' 8-channel 1/4 TS snakes and three 15' optical fiber cables so you can hook the beast right up and start mixing.

* Mackie D8B Training VHS cassette and a copy of the Mackie "In Your Face" magazine showcasing the D8B, including interviews with artists and engineers who got hooked on it.

Because this board is in absolutely pristine condition and it's been babied all its life, I will not ship it. You're welcome to pick it up yourself, and if you live within an hour of New York City, I will deliver it to your door for gas money.

You can see plenty of photos here: http://imgur.com/a/xrxZP

Asking $2,000. Looking forward to giving my baby a new home and a loving owner!

Thanks,
--Serge

Couple of years late but this is what I'm looking for wow!
Creative69

Return to d8b Forum