Change font size   Print view

Fanless CPU and PS?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Fanless CPU and PS?

Postby martytess » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:53 am

Hi, has anyone replaced the CPU heatsink with a newer fanless heatpipe and the ATX power supply with a fanless model?

I was looking at the PS and it does have a Blue wire on the input that I am not sure what it is, other than that it seems to be a garden grade ATX.... Anyone have any experience?

Thanks,

Marty
martytess

Re: Fanless CPU and PS?

Postby synthjoe » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:04 pm

It is a standard AT PSU, not ATX (lacking soft power button feature and a different power connector). The blue wire (actually five wires in a cable, amongst them yellow, black and brown, plus a GND yellow/green wire, I believe) is going to the front mains switch, since the d8b is hard power-switched, hence no standby mode.

Fan is needed to move air through the whole of the PSU box (+/-16V regulators get acually quite hot, plus the video card, MB and HDD needs some cooling, as well), so I would not recommend using a fanless PSU. Also, make sure that the fan is actually able to do its job, as the large (16cm) fan mounted on the top/bottom of some PSU designs will in most cases face the bottom plate of the CPU box and they're not able to generate airflow, at all.

I was considering heatpipe cooling for the CPU (heatpipes going to the case, as directly to the outside world as possible), but they're difficult to get for socket7/PGA370. So finally I settled for a larger PIII heatsink with a fan running at much lower speed (about 1/3rd), it does keep my CPU cool enough and practically noiseless. Finally I've found that the CPU fan and my HDD accounted for most of the disturbing noise, so I've left the original PSU (temperature controlled in my relatively new desk, anyways) intact.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby martytess » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:19 am

What model CPU cooler did you use? Is yours a 300mhz or 166? I have one of each...
martytess

Postby synthjoe » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:00 pm

I have the newer motherboard and a 300 MHz celeron CPU and used a PIII heatsink and large (d=8 cm) 'quiet' cooler combo, no specific model - I think I pulled it from and old PIII computer, or something. Don't think of anything fancy... My fan runs on 5V but make sure yours starts reliably at this voltage. If it doesn't, use instead an appropriate resistor to the +12 V rail to reduce RPM/noise, if desired - I would not recommend an electronic speed regulator as it can introduce RFI/EMI noise on the power rails.

A good PGA370/PIII heatsink/cooler should be OK (for the new board, at least) as it has the same fastening method but much higher cooling capacity (about 30-40 Watts at minimum) than a Pentium MMX (13.1 W) or Celeron (about 20 W) needs.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby cocoroman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:18 am

Hi everybody,I am new in this Forum, well just want to say that, I have replaced CPU fan with Zalman FB123, and it's really working fine now..
cocoroman

Postby Kenneth70 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:34 pm

A tower cooler in a case with front to back airflow is what you want really. The HR2 is testing well but I really wouldn't want to run it without a fan for audio use as you can push the cpu quite hard and generate a lot of heat with the i5/i7.
If you can strap on a 120/140 mm fan and volt mod it down to around 500 - 700 rpm you'll have enough air moving to cool the heatsink and the capacitors around it, which are normally more critical when it comes to stability. Those caps handle power distribution to the chip and board and if they over heat (and they get bloody hot) all sorts of hangs and crashs will happen.
Running good quality case and heatsink fans at low speeds will be nice and quiet and keep your machine alive longer than going fully passive.
Sharkoon, Noctura and Fractual Design are all worth looking at as being high pressure and low noise. The Scythe Typhoon whilst it moves a lot of air I find too noisy and but we do use it on some of our gaming range.
Rawdepth - Water cooling isn't the answer. All your doing is moving the cpu heat to the edge of the case into a radiator that restricts airflow. You need high speed fans to shift air past it and out of the case and you've moved the Heatsink fan from the center where you can't hear it to the edge where you can. Factor in water pump and water noise as it moves round the loop and you have a far more noisey solution than a 3 fan air set up.
Kenneth70

Postby hyaena » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:12 am

Kenneth, you´re probably a nice guy, but you´re out of track.
This is a d8b forum, no PC - Help I´m Lost - forum.
Nobody´s using an i5/i7 inside a d8b CPU.
Leave us alone with your advice
Manfred
hyaena
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum