Change font size   Print view

Error 43! and I am just getting started..not

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Error 43! and I am just getting started..not

Postby Dvox » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi d8b forum i am Dvox your newest member. I just bought a d8b from an army auction, didnt pay that much for it, and it's in pretty good shape as far as outward appearances go. This board was in storage for at least five years, and before that, was on another army instalation (The Teen center). I used to work there and this board was never used to my knowledge. It was too complicated for the teenagers (Imagine that) and I never had access to it anyway. So long story short.. I have been trying to familiarize myself with it. I have read a lot of posts on the web and picked up some great info here thanks to all!
So I got it home and plugged it in turned the cpu on and got Error 43. So being a fairly capable human, opened it up and there was a blown fuse in the power section that leads to the big transformer grey and yellow wires. Thinking maybe one of the teens might have switched it to 110 and plugged it into 220 i replaced the L 2.5/240 w with an L2.0 240w its a mini fuse the middle one. it blew that too. The cpu comes on the fan is blowing and the rude solo light is on and i get the error message. OK i can probably send this to a dealer near me but has anyone else had this problem? I also have no literature and no floppies and no midi breakout (No suprize there ehh?)I seem to have all the rest installed, one effect card, the sync card ect. Any help would be appreciated.I have a studio but I am more a vintage guy and thought it would be a nice thing to get this up and running and was hoping to sync it to a tape machine somehow, so eventually if i can get past this problem, you probably havent heard the last of me!
I believe my cpu is one of the newer old ones it has the gold proccesor element not a 5.0 I am still learning about this so thanks for being patient and understanding of my ignorance in advance.
Dvox
P.S. I am located in Germany.
Dvox

Re: Error 43! and I am just getting started..not

Postby Crash » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:13 pm

It probably needs the motherboard battery replaced and then the BIOS set for the particular processor you have, be it a 166mhz or 300 mhz. Look in the database for the correct settings and how to do that dance.

http://www.sonido-7.com/d8b/maintenance.html#Post1
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby hyaena » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:30 am

Having no literature isn´t a big deal - the manual is for download.

As you have some components missing, it leads me to the question:
Have you connected CPU and console with the BFC (the big one with the round connector) AND the data cable ?
If you done so, reconnect and maybe apply some DEOXIT on the pins of the connectors.

And, if I got you right, the prob with the blown fuse isn´t solved yet ?
Then maybe the console - in lack of sufficent power - isn´t answering the CPU - leads to ERROR 43.

Keep on, it´s a nice console if you get it to work
Manfred
hyaena
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:52 am

Yeah, do just as Crash wrote. Also Manfred gave you great advice concerning the cables (especially the 25 pin double serial cable - should be there, and it has to be the original)!

I wouldn't worry too much about the fuse for the time being, if rude solo is on and you get the error message on the VFD, then the most important +5V supply to the desk is OK. Since the fan comes on too, it leads me to believe that the PC style power supply feeding the motherboard and fader motors should be OK, too. The rest is mostly needed for the analogue part, so too early to worry about that, if the CPU doesn't boot properly. Follow the messages on the screen connected to the CPU box, try to get the PC to boot - which should fix the 43 problem too - then you can have a look at that PSU problem. The first step to this latter would be to unplug the connector (J1 on board 055-123-00) linking the secondary of the transformer to the board. If it keeps blowing the fuse after this (I assume you've referred to fuse F2 on the 055-201-00 board), then the transformer must be faulty.
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum