Change font size   Print view

LOGIC D8B SYNC

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: LOGIC D8B SYNC

Postby Badbass780 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Marc, You are the M****r F*****g Man! Genius like yours comes around once in every few decades. We appreciate ALL of your hard work and sticking with this project for us Macheads. This other joker is running Logic Platinum 5.5 on Windows XP and trying to pass it off as authentic. YOU Marc are the genuine article, Thank you for making dreams come trye, my moneys ready for your hands as soon as you get things ready.

Salut!
Badbass780

Postby kamue » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:21 pm

@MARC:

Thx for pointing towards your vids. Its nice to see things like that are developed.

We dont see any competition is going on. We did not make the d8b logic sync for competition in the first place.
We made it so we can use the d8b with logic nothing more or less. Its not about trying to get famous and rich.
There will be always spamers and haters trying to find reasons to talk big. but i see no sync or optimization of the d8b for our use, coming from them.

We will try to make the sync work with the newest logic versions on mac. it works on logic 7 and 8 so far ( of course on the mac...), not for the haters, no, for our self and the people that need it. We dont want your money or a piece of your cake, damn we even dont want to comment such things. What we do is what we get, so why not try to give first. lets see what we get.

Logic d8b sync will be online soon,we hope so :). Its not like we have no work or other things we have to handle. When its available everyone can try and improve it.

The only condition is to let it be free for all.

stay tuned :)
kamue

Postby Banefane » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:43 pm

@Kamue
Couldn´t say it better ;)
Banefane

Postby Marc Girard » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:25 pm

No worries man! :) Like I said in a previous post: It's a free world! I'm not the inventor of the D8B anyway... :D Anybody is free to do whatever he wants with his unit. Good luck with your project, if you need help, let me know... :)
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Re: Logic D8B SYNC

Postby NigelC » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:25 pm

For all the doubters, I am pretty confident they have found a solution. I got very close to getting Logic to communicate on a Mac with the D8B both ways myself so I am sure there are some environment tricks to make it work. The main issue has always been getting midi feedback from the D8B as it causes faders to go to zero.

However for me BOTH solutions have their flaws:

1. Resolution, both methods have a low MIDI resolution for faders - 256 steps compared to the 1024 on the MCU and Avid Artist.

2. Lack of scribble strips above every channel, having to look at the small screen top right is not that intuitive, better than nothing but still not as good as an MCU and 2 Extenders.

3. Repurposing controls meant for other things is still going to be counter-intuitive as the screen printed names still show their original function and many times its quicker just to use the mouse than remember what button does what.

Me personally I have a hybrid system of D8B and MCU and find there are flaws with both. Unless you spend real big on say a System 5 there are things that are still counter intuitive, like not having more rotaries on each channel to dedicate to for example EQ or plugin control or not having scribble strips near the bottom like a Control 24 (I still find it not ideal to have to look up to see the channel name rather than near the fader).
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pajrul » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:26 am

i am still trying to wrap my old old brains on this... so, at the risk of looking like an idiot, let me summarize my understanding.. So the way things are, in that bluaudio video.. .he got the d8b connected to a pc laptop via serial cable running d8bridge. and then and ethernet cable into the mac running logic audio.

hence altogether 3 computers
1)the old pentium computer running the native mackie os running the mixer

2)laptop running the d8bridge software connected to the mixer via serial

3)mac running logic audio with software similar to whats being discussed in this thread connected to the mixer via ethernet

is this close or am i clueless..

please be gentle, thank you

regards
norman
pajrul

Postby Marc Girard » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Hello Norman,

Yes, this might be a little confusing as I sent two new videos to Youtube recently. Those "Logic" videos show an experience of mine. The first video has the three computers as you said. The goal was to show D8Bridge's capabilities of emulating a real MCU. I wanted to prove that the emulated MIDI protocol was compatible with pretty much anything (even Logic running on a Mac!)

Once I've done that, I pushed the concept a little further. I formatted my old D8B Computer (the one that comes with the board, in the power supply unit) and installed a very light version of Windows that can run on only 32 megs of RAM! Next, I installed D8Bridge on the D8B *itself*, no external PCs and configured D8Bridge via ethernet... It worked! Hence the new video called "Embedded D8Bridge Demo" as D8Bridge was embedded into the console's CPU.

So, in theory (and in practice now) we can run D8Bridge right into the D8B's computer... Transforming the D8B into a stand-alone MCU controller. All of those experiments are plan of a bigger project of mine which I'm working on. (Read D8Bridge version 2.0 really).

I hope this clears it out a little for you! :) Thanks for writing.
Marc Girard
Bluaudio.org
http://www.bluaudio.org/d8bridge
Marc Girard

Postby pajrul » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:31 pm

excellent explanation, thank you marc!!
i am a lecturer, teaching audio design here in malaysia. we have an old beat up d8b that stills serves time in our studios. we also use mostly macintoshes.. so developments reported in this and the other thread will be very interesting to us
pajrul

Postby Mikey8511 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:35 pm

Is there any more news on the sync? this post seems to have died
Mikey8511

Postby kamue » Fri May 18, 2012 6:21 pm

no its not dead, just havent finished the homepage. when its done, i hope it is soon, we will post everything you need immidiatly.
kamue

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum