Change font size   Print view

Automation, MTC and MIDI

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Automation, MTC and MIDI

Postby NigelC » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:01 am

Believe it or not this is the first time I have tried out the D8B Automation and I cannot get it to work.

Up to now I have been running my setup (Logic 9, Mac, D8B and 5.1 etc) with HUI mode switched on, this way I see the Timecode update as Logic plays.

Now I have been having issues getting MIDI Mapping to work bi-directionally with Logic and have tried lots of ways to attempt it to send fader positions back to the D8B from Logic to no avail. Now I am starting to wonder if my MIDI on the D8B is not properly working.

I have tried using the automation to record faders on the D8B and having followed the instructions in the manual nothing gets recorded.

One thing I notice: the locator window on the D8B, the timecode display does not move when the physical VFD one is counting on the D8B, is this right or is this indicating an issue. If I switch HUI off I get no timecode display on the VFD, is this right?

To clarify I have checked MTC is being output by Logic and that ports are connected up right.

Finally if HUI works, could there still be a MIDI issue on the D8B? For instance if the MIDI cable had some incorrect pins could it still work on HUI?
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Automation, MTC and MIDI

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:33 am

Wha???

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby NigelC » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:43 pm

I take it from your response you don't know the answer? I have tried to be as thorough with the info as possible. I am trying to work out if the MIDI cable is the issue or something else. Anyone with some constructive feedback much appreciated. I am afraid my sense of humour is bypassed presently as I spent 5 hours into the early hours trying to fathom this issue.
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:34 pm

My exclamation was because I was surprised that you hadn't used the d8b automation before, being a fairly long time user and all.

I've never used HUI mode so I don't know what the VFD displays when in that mode.

You do have to turn HUI mode off for MTC to be seen on the transport display when in MIDI Map mode or even just using Logic as a virtual HD recorder.

If you have "generate MTC" ticked in Logic, may I ask, what MIDI breakout cable you are using? If it is an ebay job, there are known flakey ones out there because Mackie itself got the wiring diagram wrong and the ebay sellers used that wrong diagram. I have entered the correct wiring diagram in the database because I discovered the fault when I made a couple of batches for members over on the old forum.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby NigelC » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:03 am

Its one that came with a Midiman Winman 1x1 Card I tracked down last year. I thought I was being clever as I got it for a snip when my MIDI cable started playing up. I have been using the cable that came with it (tried the card and cannot get it to work for whatever reason.

Now using this cable I could get HUI to communicate okay, but I am starting to wonder if all is not as it should be so as an experiment I am going to try to make one with my limited soldering skills by carving up to premade MIDI leads and connecting them to a 9 Pin connector.
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:27 am

That will work but may I suggest, if you have a multimeter, that you buzz out the connections between the 9 pin D sub connector and the MIDI female connectors (in Ω mode) just so you can establish that there is or is not a problem. Would save some time. Pay particular attention to the diagram in the database and make sure your visual orientation is from the solder lug side of each connector (rear).

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby NigelC » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:28 am

I just used a MIDI utility called Midi Monitor and set MTC to output on just the D8B port then on two ports, the D8B and another device. MTC showed up on the second port but not on the D8B.

So I finally figured out the problem. If I have a HUI assigned in the control surface prefs to the D8B midi port (which I would have to to get it functioning), MTC is no longer sent out. However more importantly MIDI feedback is also cut to Logic.

I can get Midi Feedback into the D8B from a mapped fader with no HUI device present, however its fighting itself so my next task is to figure out how to stop the looping of faders due to MIDI going in a circle.

All this is at odds with Zorba The Greek's post http://d8bforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=309&start=30 stating he had bidirectional MIDI and HUI working together (addmitedly in Cubase, so maybe its a Logic or Mac issue).
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:46 am

The post deletions and edits make it confusing.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby NigelC » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:54 pm

Yeah sorry about that. As I studied it further I realised the issue was not the cable or the software rather that MTC is only received when not connected in HUI (turning off HUI mode does not work you have to remove the software connection in Logic in its control preferences).

One thing that irks me is that the Timecode display in MTC mode only counts Bars and Beats, no Ticks. When you stop the transport it shows Ticks but not while playing. Is this a preference somewhere or is it just the way it is?
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to d8b Forum