Change font size   Print view

And now for something completely different....

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: And now for something completely different....

Postby synthjoe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:16 am

88.2/96 kHz. Mono/Surround/Main/Near selection. Would have been nice, let alone VST support, which would have been killer. Indeed, much ahead of its time...
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:42 am

A lot of elements conspired to kill the whole thing off. Way too numerous to list.

As you may know, remnants of the D8B team reformed as Sanewave, producing the DXB for Mackie. A whole carload of great "next gen" ideas wound up in that box, but by the time it came out, Mackie was floundering horribly while the DAW/Plugin/ITB mixing concept was gaining industry traction by leaps and bounds.

Basically, the DXB came out too late for a company that could no longer properly control its development, manufacturing or marketing.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:59 am

How come the phase/eq/comp/gate indicators disappear when I open the whole enchilada? Either way, it's a beautiful thing.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby FrankH » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:12 am

How come the phase/eq/comp/gate indicators disappear when I open the whole enchilada?

You lost me. What do you mean?
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:20 am

Below the "Mic" and above the "RecRdy" buttons on the attachment you posted, there are clear indications of Phase, Eq, Comp and Gate via LEDs. When I open the full thing in preview, those indications are missing.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby FrankH » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:49 am

Hmm....there are two uploaded drawings. The first one (the big 48 channel thing) had those indicators except for the last 8 channels...which I think were left off for Alt I/O duty....although now, in retrospect, they probably should have been across all 48. The second drawing of the 32 channel version didn't have these indicators at all.

These were concept drawings....we'd throw pixels at the wall and watch what would stick.

Speaking of sticking to the wall...I remember doing a complete set of finished GUI layouts for a D8B/HDR combo. Yep, back then we were seriously kicking around the idea of making a console and recorder into one self-contained unit. There were no hardware drawings of this....only GUI stuff.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby High C Double G » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:03 am

I gotta tell ya all... I really love my d8b - it is what it is and I really have a thing for it... it is also what I own and use, so maybe that is a big part of it.

Are there more elaborate this, that, and the others in present day? You bet ya sure thing, but this mixer "Rocks in 2012" and with Mark and Franks d8b Bridge in place (the rich man crying poor, but it is true I can't justify the costs now :cry: ) And that totally does SUCK! but I got some things cooking to get on board there soon - I always find a way. You know me! :mrgreen:

This is kinda random, but the mixer is a really cool deal and solid for me through and through. I have people I know that just love the DXB and think it's great, I don't know about that because I never used one. Anyone with half an ear can make good to great sound come out of this mixer called d8b.

Random ramble over and out...
High C Double G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum