Change font size   Print view

problems with my d8b

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

problems with my d8b

Postby Maloik » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:43 am

Hi to all!

My d8b has some problems I can't solve.
Sometimes when I switch it on all the lights are just flashing und the faders are twitching like "toc toc toc" and the console does not boot.
When I move the data cable several times it works. At first it just happened when the console was turned off for several hours, but now it also happens while running. Then I have to restart the desk and all the changes I've done till then are lost....it's annoying.

Due to the fact that it works when i move the data cable plug i thought it would be some cleaning problem...so I opened the desk and cleaned all the ribbon cables and so on but no bettering.

Has anyone some ideas what it could be??

Thanks a lot in advance

Cheers
Tom
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: problems with my d8b

Postby Phil.c » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:12 am

I assume that you also checked the Data cable pins etc. both ends.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Maloik » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:44 am

Hi phil
Yes I already checked the data cable with a continuity tester. and everything looked fine.
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:47 pm

This happens everytime you move the Data cable?
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Maloik » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:57 pm

No, but most of the time i can fix it by moving the data cable.

When the problem appears i turn off the desk and move the data cable ( sidewards, like shaking ) and usually i can boot again but not always.
I have no idea what this could be. I already cleaned any connections concerning the data cable.

It looks like some solder issues but i have no idea where and can´t find it.
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:05 pm

I can't remember if the connector backs come off so you could check for dry joints etc. Another idea is to check continuity with someone else wriggleing the cable.

The fact that movement of the cable causes a make/break in the circuit? Which end are you moving? I think from memory that the connector inside the console is behind the rear boards, i've had these out, it's a bit fiddley as they have to be maneuvered, there are tiny capacitors around the edge that can break off...I know from experience.
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Maloik » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:34 am

hi again!
I cleaned all ribbon cables and faders the last 2 days. There's no way to check the back of the data connector in the console. there are just 2 ribbon cables coming out of the connector and I didn't want to break anything by opening it.
But no problem until now.I will replace the data cable with another one if the problem appears again. I will report if something happens.

But there is another issue:
Since a couple of months I have some trouble with five sticky faders....haha sticky faders...deja vu number xxx.... i used to deal with it because the only thing i found on the forums was to replace it.... but as I opened the console this weekend I suggested to clean all the faders....so I opened all of them and cleaned the carbon boards, bands, detectors of all the faders. 22 faders now work like new but two on the second fader unit (no 12 and no 16) are still sticky.

Is there any way to repair the faders on our own? did I miss anything? or do i really need to get replacement?

Thanks again
Tom
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:46 pm

I expect you've done a few fader calibrate's.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Maloik » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:47 pm

yes...4 or 5 times
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:16 am

A friend of mine has had sticky faders for years but what he does when they stick is stop transport and then press play and they clear.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum