Change font size   Print view

BFC again...

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: BFC again...

Postby Petersueco » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:22 pm

vert360 wrote:Thank you, so much for the reply's, hyaena and gavrob. I will give those remedy's a try, am just curious what is a PCB?
Just check out your site Petersueco its nice, looks like you put a lot of hard work in to it....I check out you studio construction diary. Hey Petersueco what did you think about the audio clips on my site?

Liked it very much. Nice website design too.

Peter Holmquist.
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby anyhorizon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:38 am

hyaena wrote:Hi there,

It seems the problem is not only the BFC, but the PCB in the console, that it is attached to.
Thermal problems (i.e. the console cooling down when switched off) causes contacts and bad solder joints to lose conductivity. (edited)

This is what I would think is more the case. It would be worth "going in" and re-soldering the BFC receptacle's pins to the PCB. You may need to find some solder that is not lead free since the two don't play nice together. Also, ensure that the receptacle is tight against the chassis. Can't remember the securing arrangements but it should be obvious once inside.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby gavrob » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi Crash.
Thanks for the info on the original cable maker, getting a new assembly made is not a realistic option so......
after a bit of 'sleuthing' I have managed to find the manufacturers name and part numbers for the BFC connector :D .

Here are links to the info:
http://www.newark.com/catalog_129/index.html?page=935
http://www.te.com/catalog/bin/TE.Connec ... &LG=1&I=13
http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity-a ... dp/4219041

All I will need to completely renew the connections in the BFC are the correct male and female inserts to go into the plug and socket housings, I will need to make sure I order the correct size (AWG) for the wires though and it's possible that there's a gold plated variant or each to combat oxidation....more sleuthing required for this !.
They are available here in the UK from Farnell Electronics and cost around 32p (50 cents) each per insert so replacing all 48 should cost no more than £20 ($32) in parts so it's definitely worth the cost particularly if you have the skills and courage to cut the 'umbilical' and do it :o .

I hope to do this sometime soon when I have some spare time and I'll let you know how I get on.

Perhaps this info will be of use to other forum members who might like to do the same.

Regards to all.
Rob.
London.UK.
gavrob

Postby vert360 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:21 am

So now it looks like there is no sound going to the D8B every thing works, just no sounds coming in to the line in or tape, some times the meters will freeze. But after i mess with the BFC and do a reboot its back up. Any word on someone building a new BFC? Thanks for the help
vert360

Postby Crash » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:17 pm

vert360 wrote:So now it looks like there is no sound going to the D8B every thing works, just no sounds coming in to the line in or tape, some times the meters will freeze. But after i mess with the BFC and do a reboot its back up. Any word on someone building a new BFC? Thanks for the help

That sounds like a unit that is loosing clock signal. How are you clocking your d8b?
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Casey_Pittman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:06 pm

Does the board pass audio if you plug your source inputs into any of the 2trk inputs? Does the master meter still work during this process?

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby vert360 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:40 pm

No audtio passes, but when i mess with the BFC and reboot the board every thing works for now.
vert360

Postby Petersueco » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Yeah, classic BFC Jammin!
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby vert360 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:44 pm

Petersueco wrote:Yeah, classic BFC Jammin!

Right lol
vert360

Postby vert360 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:46 pm

So once again the BFC is messing up again, now my when playing back audio or recording, the audio will just shut off and the meters will freeze. This happens like every 10mins to 30mins, I turn off the D8B, and when i turn it back on it does the booming thing, its stops after i mess with the BFC. I think it is just the BFC, my question is can i just resit the wires in the BFC or solder them ? Every thing works when this happens, the clock card the faders, there is just no audio passing in both the mic line and tape, and the meters freeze where the was just paying.
vert360

PreviousNext

Return to d8b Forum