Change font size   Print view

BFC again...

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

BFC again...

Postby nicktight » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi everybody,

this is the third post about my d8b problem.
I had the boom boom boom thing from time to time and was first worrying about the famous rail capacitor problem and some clock issues but then I realised that when the console freaks out (boom boom, flash flash, blink blink) I can move the BFC a little and the flashing stops. The console then appears to work normal again but I still have to restart it.

So my question is the following:
Who experienced problems with the connection of the BFC? The ring that holds mine is turned all the way, til it's really tight, but the connector itself still doeesn't appear to be seated tight. I can move it around a little.
Is it worth to open the BFC and rebuild it? Or is there a common way to tighten the connection?

And finally: Does it look like this is my problem and not something else...?

Really appreciate any help from you guys, just as last time.

NT
nicktight

Re: BFC again...

Postby Casey_Pittman » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:31 pm

I had that problem with mine. I found that if I suspend the cable and take the stress off of the BFC, that it no longer gave me problems.

-Casey
d8b V3 into RME HDSP 9652 with Cubase 7.5
Casey_Pittman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby nicktight » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:28 am

Thanks for your help, Casey.
Hmm, it's strange. I made myself a "bfc cable holder" today to take the stress off the connector. Started to work then, everything fine. 3 hours later the console freaked out again... damn!
Have to keep trying. Anyboy else having suggestions about the loose bfc connection?
nicktight

Postby Maloik » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:57 am

Hi!
I have the same problem but in my case it seems that the data cable is causing it. When the console started blinking I shut down the desk and moved and jiggeled the data cable connector and it worked again after rebooting. I just opened the console and cleaned everything and it works fine until now. I have a second data cable for replacement if the problem appears again to see if the cable is damaged.
But as you have exactly the same problem but with the BFC and not the data cable I am a bit scared that the issue will show up again :-P

Cheers Tom
Maloik
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby vert360 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:10 pm

I am having that same problem, even after I made hook like device to suspend the cable. Seems like its taking longer each time i have to reset the BFC, am afraid that one its just not going to come back up. Is there any thing we can do, to fix this problem?
vert360

Postby Petersueco » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:16 am

Hey Vert. Nice site you got over there.

Listening to the music as I write.

Welcome to the forum.
Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hyaena » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:57 am

Hi there,

It seems the problem is not only the BFC, but the PCB in the console, that it is attached to.
Termal problems (i.e. the console cooling down when switched off) causes contacts and bad solder joints to lose conduktivity.
The pressure applied to the BFC is applying pressure to the PCB as well and helps - or not.

It might help to reseat (and clean with DEOXIT) the ribbon connectors inside the console. I think, there is information in the database.

Manfred
hyaena
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby gavrob » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi NT.

Don't worry...you're not alone, my d8b has been doing the boom..boom flash...flash thing for quite some time now and I too feared that it was the dreaded rail cap problem but I suspect that something else might be the cause.

The symptoms that you describe are exactly the same as my problem and so is your remedy, a slight movement of the BFC and the noise/flashing stops and a re-boot usually gets me up and running again.

I have re-seated and applied Deoxit to all the ribbon connections inside the console, re-soldered the BFC connection pins on the PCB inside and applied Deoxit sparingly to the BFC connector as well.

My D8B seems to be stable now but I live in fear that it will crash out mid session with a client in the studio as it has done before on occasions, very embarrassing for me and unsettling for the client !.
I don't think I have fully remedied the problem which seem to indicate a badly made connection to the BFC pins causing a high resistance or intermittent connection.

The sensible thing would be to replace the BFC cable connector completely with a new one, soldering each pin rather than crimping it before it goes into the connector housing but I have not been ably to find a replacement connector from any of my regular component suppliers.

If anyone here has a manufacturers name and part number for the BFC I would be very grateful.

I hope that this is some comfort to you that we are sharing the same issue and looking for a common remedy.

Rob.
London. UK
gavrob

Postby vert360 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:27 am

Thank you, so much for the reply's, hyaena and gavrob. I will give those remedy's a try, am just curious what is a PCB?
Just check out your site Petersueco its nice, looks like you put a lot of hard work in to it....I check out you studio construction diary. Hey Petersueco what did you think about the audio clips on my site?
vert360

Postby Crash » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:17 pm

gavrob wrote:H

The sensible thing would be to replace the BFC cable connector completely with a new one, soldering each pin rather than crimping it before it goes into the connector housing but I have not been ably to find a replacement connector from any of my regular component suppliers.

If anyone here has a manufacturers name and part number for the BFC I would be very grateful.

Rob.
London. UK

Rob, the company that made the big ass cable was called Storm. They were down the street from Mackie, at least the location that made these as I recall. They were custom made so I doubt you scan go out and find one but I believe they are still in existence so maybe you could get one made though I doubt it would be cheap.

Vert360, PCB stand for Printed Circuit Board fyi.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum