Change font size   Print view

A&H GSR24

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

A&H GSR24

Postby anyhorizon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:53 pm

Without shirking my love of the d8b, I gotta say that this little baby made me sit up and pay attention.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Re: A&H GSR24

Postby hyaena » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:42 am

A pretty thing indeed, meets my tendency back to analog ...

I´m beginnig to hear peaks and spikes in my setup that are bothering me.
Just bought some old german vintage radio modules, the things I used to work with in the analog days:
Siemens U273, Telefunken U373, TAB U373 compressors and are happy with it.
And that´s back to the good side of our beloved baby: gives you all kinds of inserts you want.

So, dream on , dream o-on ...
hyaena
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:10 am

Yeah. It's an interesting desk and since I'm a tactile kinda guy, it appeals. There's a review in this or last month's Sound On Sound. Gonna go and digest that.

Some cool stuff you have there. I nearly sold all of my good analogue stuff but have been hanging on for grim death which I hope won't come too soon.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:52 am

Geez! Having read the SOS review, I'm kinda excited about this. Could work like a wheel beside a deeatebee.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby hyaena » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:47 am

Kinda reminds me of the Soundcraft console I had in the eighties, the 2824.

Very british, lots of ways to route your signal along with a very clean, straightforward sound.
And the FW-connection !!
Very well thought out, if I had the money, I would go for the GS-R24M and insert all the analogue stuff I have.
But business is different nowadays, and so am I.

But we still have dreams ...

Manfred
hyaena
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:36 pm

Peter,

Although designed as an FOH desk, you might also like to have a look at the A&H "iLive" desk (it comes in a number of sizes) and it has a lot of interesting features and sounds great for the price.

I am still waiting to see the new Behringer desk and how it goes in the long term.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby FrankH » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:54 pm

I am still waiting to see the new Behringer desk and how it goes in the long term.

Easy to predict. Suckers will buy it and discover the drivers are crap, the power supply has fried and half of its switches, knobs and faders have failed in under a year. Behringer brand is not exactly synonymous with quality.

The industry joke is that Behringer's R&D dept. goes down when they run out of toner.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:42 am

FrankH,

Sorry but I have to disagree with you to a large extent, sure there is/was some suspect product, but didn't Mackie make a desk (TT-24) that had a power supply that gave many users grief, an on/off switch that was suggested by Mackie not to be switched off as it could fail, etc and didn't they bring out, some years ago, a digital desk that has developed problems with ribbon cables and connectors, then there is the dXb (but I will be kind to Mackie and leave that one well alone!!!) I am sure that there are many other VERY well respected brands that have had problems, but we still use and respect them.

In my own case, I have designed two studios (both excellent and respected) --- not mine --- that have used Behringer desks, outboard equipment, speakers, mics, etc and they have had no failings, in the performing arts theatre that I was involved with a few years ago, until we purchased the TT-24 (we were lucky in that ours had no major hardware problems --- software, that is another story!!!) we had two Behringer desks and they worked without any problem.

With the new Behringer desk, as Behringer has apparentely merged (or whatever) with MIDAS, it is quite possible that a lot of external input has been put into the desk's design.

I am not saying that your prediction might not be correct, I think that we will just have to wait and see, especially as they bring out the ancillary items to go with it.

Now this is really my opinion, whatever its failings, it has to be better than the new Mackie digital toy!!!!!!!!

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby anyhorizon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:04 am

Behringer started out OK. I still have the original "Composer" which is built like a tank. More recently, I bought a quadruple compressor which is built like a fluffy toy. I'd be most hesitant to buy a mixing desk from them while my living depends on it. Also, Allen & Heath have been around since I was a boy and you rarely hear of any problems unless they're just the normal run of the mill stuff like a dodgy IC or a cap gone bad etc., which are par for the course, even in Neves and SSLs. One thing I don't like about Behringer is their penchant for circuit and design theft.

Whatever, I truly like the modus operandi of the GS-R24. That kind of thinking, brought to fruition, should be rewarded with sales.

Peter
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Dan Worley » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:47 am

Peter (our guitar player) has the ZED-R16. He's on his fifth or sixth one. He loves it but it's been trouble due to bad parts. I hope they did a better job of Quality Assurance with this mixer.

c-ya,

Dan
Dan Worley
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum