Change font size   Print view

Recent SSD successes?

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: Recent SSD successes?

Postby Petersueco » Tue May 08, 2012 2:47 am

Hey Todd, nice explanation.

I have added it to the Database in the Tips section. I hope you don't mind.

One thing that would be nice to have is a list of working CF cards.

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FrankH » Tue May 08, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks for the detailed reply, Todd. I'm sure many members and lurkers alike, will benefit from these detailed instructions.

Good man.
FrankH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby krstudio » Tue May 08, 2012 10:02 am

Thank you so much for the info! I am doing mine ASAP.

Jeff
krstudio

Postby markjacknow » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:35 am

It is doable, but there are some tricks that needs to be addressed.

Postby anyhorizon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:52 am

¿ʇɐɥʍ sɐ ɥɔnS
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby NigelC » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:26 pm

If you get an IDE SSD its so much simpler than any of this. I bought a Transcend 2GB SSD but another manufacturer who makes one is Kingspan (more than enough space for what is needed). It just needed to be reformatted and the OS installed.

I think I managed to reformat by purchasing an IDE to SATA converter (cheap part from Maplin) so I could connect it to my Mac (in Windows mode) then run the Windows reformat utility.

Then its just the same procedure outlined elsewhere.

I spent ages trying to get it to install the OS before realising I had done a typo in the init file (format:on) once I spotted it all went through no problem. Its the reformat that is the most crucial part.

The disk was the noisiest part left in the unit. I have changed the fans and also replaced the clip that holds the fan onto the CPU with rubber mounts and put a fan speed controller to lower the speed just a bit which really made a difference as it seemed to spin way too fast and vibrated the housing. I used Zalman fans for both CPU and PSU.

Now boots super fast and super quiet, now I notice my Mac more (although installed a fan control app to improve that too).

I only really notice noise if I stick my head under the desk and listen to the Mac and PC I have, the D8B is almost silent.
NigelC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby OscarPro1 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:05 am

Both these procedures by the sound of things are viable..I'm pretty sure that sooner or later one of my HDs will call out for help and I'll anticipate one of the above methods. But the solution for my dual D8B set up, at least as far as noise is concerned was solved by removing both CPUs/power supply's from the control room and placing them in a custom made acousticly treated slimline aired MDF box in another room. (racked vertically side by side) The power cables and data cables are long enough to achieve this and the othe peripheral connections can be tailored to accommodate the distance from the consoles. Obviously I had the space to do this and for the present It's all good, however the units are not getting any younger and although the're working smoothly, the time will come when I will join the conversion club too. :-)

Andy
Knowledge is the beginning of Wisdom... Let the learning begin.
OscarPro1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby lnegro » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:45 pm

Todd

Nice job. I was thinking of doing the same thing for my d8b. You say it didn't make it boot any faster. This is why I wanted to convert to solid state drives. Since you did this last year, have you come up with anything since, that will make the cpu boot faster? I am using V3.0 software. Thanks for your help

Larry
lnegro

Postby doktor1360 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:58 pm

lnegro wrote:Todd

Nice job. I was thinking of doing the same thing for my d8b. You say it didn't make it boot any faster. This is why I wanted to convert to solid state drives. Since you did this last year, have you come up with anything since, that will make the cpu boot faster? I am using V3.0 software. Thanks for your help

Larry

ANY FPGA Celeron/Pentium III COPPERMINE uProcessor (100MHz FSB)... just ensure the mobo settings on the DIP switch are set correctly... you can refer to the Sonido DB for details... :geek:

I converted my D8B over to a SSD for the primary reason of reducing (if not eliminating) file corruption - reducing the possibilities of losing projects and having to reinstall everything...

Of course, you knew it was coming so here it is:
[Standard Mgmt Disclaimer] - "Your actual mileage may vary..." ;-)

Peace
--
Dok

"Too many guitars is just about right..." - [Anonymous Player]
doktor1360
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby EddieLewis » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:23 am

Hey. Thanks for the info. I've been planning to install SSD. Just gathering some infos here.
http://www.bestsellingreviews.com/Computer/Solid-State-Drive/
EddieLewis

Previous

Return to d8b Forum