Change font size   Print view

Master level LED

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Master level LED

Postby Lemontiger » Sun May 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi all -

I'm running a v5 D8B which is working fine except that it recently stopped showing any activity on the master LEDs. I've tried trashing the Startup file and toggling settings in the digital I/O section, which I saw recommended somewhere on the forum. I can't see any activity on the "Masters" meter in the GUI either, though I use it so rarely I don't know whether it ever did. Other channel meters are working correctly on both the board and the GUI, and the master fader and outputs are all working OK.

I haven't tried taking it apart or reinstalling the OS, so the questions are...does the lack of meter activity in the GUI point to software rather than hardware...? Is there anything else I should try before a reinstall...? Is there anything else you can think of I should check...? And is it straightforward to get hold of the install disks, because I've never had them.

Thanks!

Ben
Lemontiger

Re: Master level LED

Postby bbb » Mon May 21, 2012 12:53 am

Did you reboot?
bbb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Mon May 21, 2012 7:23 pm

I have had this problem a few times in the past ...you may want to look at my thread "D8b Freezes every 30-60days". A quick review on any loose connectors may help
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Lemontiger » Mon May 21, 2012 11:01 pm

Thanks for the thoughts...I've tried reseating all external cables and several reboots so either I'm missing something obvious or it needs more drastic action. From past reading on the forums, I'd assume it was a cable issue, but what puzzled me was seeing that the GUI showed identical activity on the channel meters and none on the "Masters" meters at the far right. Like I say, I use the GUI so rarely that I don't know what it shows normally, but I'd assume that there should be something going on there. I don't know how the board interacts with the PSU/CPU, but I was wondering if the absence of activity on the GUI "Masters" meters indicated a problem with the software or configuration side, or if this could be caused by an internal cabling problem. Guess I'll just have to dive in and see.
Lemontiger

Postby Crash » Tue May 22, 2012 3:31 pm

So you have audio but no meter activity on either the GUI or the master L/R meter on the console? I assume that the "Master L-R" switch is illuminated in the control room section. If the answer is yes to this I would pop the bottom and look at cable with part number 040-196-00 Rev A., pictured below Reseat both ends and see what that get ya.

Actually, I would consider reseating all of the cables you can reach while you are in there.... since you are in there already.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Lemontiger » Wed May 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Thanks Crash - I'll check it out.
Lemontiger

Postby Petersueco » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Lemontiger wrote:Hi all -

I haven't tried taking it apart or reinstalling the OS, so the questions are...does the lack of meter activity in the GUI point to software rather than hardware...? Is there anything else I should try before a reinstall...? Is there anything else you can think of I should check...? And is it straightforward to get hold of the install disks, because I've never had them.

Ben

Hello Ben.

Have you been playing around with the surround window lately and maybe accidentally set the console in 5.1 surround mode (or any other mode for that matter)?

When you put the console in any mode different from Stereo the master meter don't show any activity. All the master out meter activity is translated to the Buss Out channels meters.

Peter Holmquist.
Sonido 7
Music Production Studio
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lemontiger » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi -

Thanks for the reply. I've since reseated all the accessible ribbon connectors, cables and cards, reformatted and reinstalled the OS, new clean session etc., but still no activity on the main meter...haven't been able to get anything to register via the "2 Track A" etc options either.

I'm wondering if there's a way I could route things to use channels 23/24 as a pseudo master level...does that make sense...? If it's possible, what would be the most effective way to do it...? (The fact that nothing shows on the GUI either surprises me, but I can only assume it's a hardware problem.)
Lemontiger

Postby Olietyven » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi, did you ever solve the problem with the master Led's ? My console does exact the same thing. It started with the master led behaving strangely, as if there was a clocking issue. It didn't affect the sound in anyway. slowly the master Led's dissapeared for good, but i can still use the mixer. i did replace all the connectors, but did not solve the problem.
Olietyven

Return to d8b Forum