Change font size   Print view

Clock Card

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Clock Card

Postby Steve1971 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:18 pm

I have an Apogee card but I think it might be problematic and the root of all the evil on my board. I do not however have the stock clock card, does anyone out there have one I could use to see if that will fix my board? I'll be happy to pay the shipping each way.

Steve
Steve1971

Re: Clock Card

Postby anyhorizon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:26 am

I have a stock clock card but I'm too far away to be of any use. I have to say that in the 12 or so years I've been watching and contributing to this and the other forum, I don't believe I've ever witnessed the demise of an Apogee clock card. I may have missed a post but I doubt it. Also, it must be working 'cos you have sound. The card makes no decisions, it just spits out the frequency, albeit in a smoother fashion than the stock one. I'd be inclined to change the battery, re-install the OS, meticulously set the BIOS for your MOBO and try again. Just random thoughts. :)

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Postby Steve1971 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:36 am

I'm having all sorts of issues Peter, freezing meters, loss of audio, and weird lighting upon startup when the cable is connected to the card. If I disconnect the cable and startup then it behaves normally. Mind you I've tried several different cables but it still behaves the same. I will try what you mentioned and see if that works and I hope it does. I've already been through a rail cap failure and it's not behaving like that did.
Steve1971

Postby Crash » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:50 pm

What is on the other end of the chain? Maybe something else is giving you grief.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby captainamerica » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:02 pm

I agree with Crash and anyhorizon...I have had such problems before so I would check and recheck your "chain" and connections.
DAW: Genelec 8341,MacStudio, QuantumTB, Faderport16, DP, LogicProX, ProTools.BackupDAW:d8B, MacPro 2008 2xQuad-Core, MOTU (2408)LegacyDAW: A2000, Picasso II, Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 SunRize cards|HydraNexus Amiganet Ethernet.
captainamerica
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby synthjoe » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:54 am

Maybe a grounding problem on the chain. Make sure you ground everything you can as close to a star scheme as possible (a single grounding point).
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby csp » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:17 am

Also check that you are starting the d8B and having it fully load before you turn on any of the devices connected to the card.

If you do as I suggest, you might like to then turn on each piece of equipment singularly and do a full check of the desk's operation to see if it is Ok, then turn on the next piece of equipment and do the same, then do this for every piece of equipment connected. This way you could possibly see what is causing the problem.

I am of course asuming that the problem is clock related, rather than something else, such as the ribbon cables.

David
csp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Steve1971 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:38 pm

I'm using the MOTU 2408 mk II and I have used it as the master clock and as the slave clock both, but strange things happen I.E. The console locks up and freezes when I have a large session going and I press a solo button or it freezes for no apperant reason, this is driving me nuts. I have reset the BFC, all cable connections and have done the rccp, but to no avail. Again I don't believe this is a rail cap failure as it's not behaving as such.
Steve1971

Postby synthjoe » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:36 pm

I'd look at power issues still, particularly so for the computer side. If things really do freeze up completely (i.e. no action possible with the mouse or keyboard, either), then your computer might be the culprit, which on the other hand should not result in a loss of audio. In fact I think audio still passes thru if you disconnect the serial cable between the cpu and the console. Therefore it would be really important to have all the details (what exactly happens and when?) of your problem in order to help you efficiently - without the details even an educated guess is impossible. If all is freezing up and audio goes away, then the reason most likely would be a spike, surge on the power line or from any other connected equipment that affects both the CPU and the console. You should describe in detail exactly what happens...
synthjoe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Crash » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:06 pm

You might check out this thread and see if you think it is a possibility with your console as well.

viewtopic.php?t=609
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to d8b Forum