Change font size   Print view

OT: My Mom

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Re: OT: My Mom

Postby Dan Worley » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:00 am

Many thanks for your kind, thoughtful and profound words, guys. I'm touched by your caring and concern.

We're doing okay, you know.

It was a long struggle of 18 years with Alzheimer's for my mom. Too much to really go into now, but she was so sweet through it all, except for a few months when she got paranoid from the pressures of living at home. Once we moved her into nursing 14 years ago, and then into skilled nursing a year later after she broke a hip, she was sweet again (more sweet than she ever was before she was ill, believe me).

Then, more and more she slipped away from us. She didn't open her eyes for the past three years unless you irritated her by pinching her face. She hardly ever talked for the past ten years, but once in awhile she would say something that actually made sense and was fitting to the conversation. She would always give a little laugh if you laughed, and she was very willing to sing quietly when we would lead her in song. Up until about four years ago, she could remember the lyrics to all the old songs. it was really incredible. A different part of the brain, I guess.

The last real coherent, connecting words she said to me took place some years ago when I said good-bye to her at the end of one of my visits. She said, "Okay, honey. I love you." I was walking on air after that visit (after sobbing uncontrollably).

She went so peaceful. No struggle at all. She was ready to go. We will miss her spirit, and, of course, we will miss our mother, always. The most touching thing for me was how important she was to her ten grandchildren. They really did her proud at the services. One grandchild was waiting for her in Heaven. It gives me great joy to know they're finally reunited.

God bless you all,

Dan Worley
Dan Worley
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Dan Worley » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:29 am

Here's a song for you guys.

I just finished mixing it. It's one of Carolyn's Scripture songs off her upcoming album You Cover Me. It has given me great comfort to work on this album, so I share one of the songs with you.

http://soundcloud.com/evp/carolyn-wing-greenlee-the-lord
Dan Worley
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Soundchasm » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:30 am

Beautiful work, Dan and Carolyn. Songs certainly take on a significance based on our lives. I offer you the same advice you gave your Mom, and that's DYEGU. Peace be with you and all of yours.
Soundchasm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to d8b Forum