Change font size   Print view

Dual D8B & HDR Hookup

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

Dual D8B & HDR Hookup

Postby Dreamsequence » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:40 am

Just for the challenge, I'm attempting to run (2) D8Bs and (2) HDRs in Master/Slave for a total of 48 digital channels. There is a document on the Mackie website under HDR FAQs that shows how to wire it all up.

http://www.mackie.com/support/documents/DualHDRHookup.pdf

I'm using OPT-8 cards throughout to avoid extra D/A and A/D conversions. One puzzle: the diagram shows DIO-8 cards in the ALT I/O slots of both consoles, connected via the ADAT ports (in to out, etc.). I have not found any explanation for this connection, although I speculate it has something to do with common bussing of the Solo, Master L/R, monitoring sends, etc. DIO-8 cards are tough to come by; I have (1) with a v1.01 ROM chip.

The D8B Manual discusses installing either a DIO-8 or AIO-8 in the ALT I/O slot, but doesn't say whether an OPT-8 can be used for the same purpose. After all, we are supposedly passing audio info back and forth from Master to Slave. So, here it is:

1) Does anyone know what these connections in the ALT I/O slots are for in the dual configuration, and how to set up the consoles to use the connections?

2) Can OPT-8s be used in place of DIOs or AIOs? I have a boatload of AIOs, so if the audio is non-critical, I can simply use them subject to the answer(s) to Question #1. Or, does anyone have DIOs available reasonably? I'll need to find (2) with the same ROM version. I read that DIOs can be problematic, so I'd like to avoid them if unnecessary.

3) Any other suggestions or comments about getting this to work? I have a Remote 48 already, and have a blackburst generator for house sync lined up.

Thanks. Pat
Dreamsequence

Re: Dual D8B & HDR Hookup

Postby Petersueco » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:15 pm

There is a document in the database with some more info:

Mackie d8b Dual Setup

I'm quite sure you can use the OPT-8 cards in the ALT slot.

Happy cabling !

Peter Holmquist.
Petersueco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dreamsequence » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:11 pm

Wow! I missed that diagram. I see it uses the Apogee Clock Cards w/ BNC 'T' fittings instead of the more complex Word Clock House sync. Any specific reason to use one or the other (advantages/disadvantages)? I can still extrapolate the cabling from the complex diagram for the Remote 48 via an ethernet hub.

I'm sure getting another pair of OPT-8s will be easier than finding another DIO-8 with matching ROM. Do you agree it is self-defeating to use AIOs in the ALT I/O slots if the rest of the signal path is digital?

Thanks Peter.
Dreamsequence

Postby Crash » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:53 pm

I once did a mix session with two HDR's into one d8b. I used the the tape returns and the mic/lines and did not notice any issue with latency between the two banks.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil.c » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:42 pm

I have no latency with my dual setup and I also use OPT8 cards also in my ALT slots.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Dreamsequence » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:50 am

Phil:

Are you using dual D8Bs and dual HDRs? If so, are you cabled like the Dual D8B diagram (uses the Apogee WC sync), or the Dual HDR diagram (which uses a blackburst generator for house sync)?

http://www.mackie.com/support/documents/Mackie_Dual_D8B_Setup.pdf

http://www.mackie.com/support/documents/DualHDRHookup.pdf

Thanks. Any other suggestions to get this rig to be sucessful?

Pat
Dreamsequence

Postby Phil.c » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm using d8b and Hdr with master clock setup, but no remote.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Dreamsequence » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:22 pm

Phil:

The exact nomenclature is escaping my novice comprehension: when you say you are using the master clock setup, is that the Dual D8B diagram where the Apogee sends the clock (no blackburst generator), or are you using the Dual HDR diagram, where a blackburst generator provides 'house' sync to the Apogees (and everything else)? The latter version probably provides better sync lock between devices, although the Apogee WC cards are top-notch. Please refer to the PDFs in the above links from the Mackie FAQs page if you are unsure.

Thanks.
Dreamsequence

Postby Phil.c » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:24 pm

I used to use the master d8b master Apogee clock which worked great but because I use more outboards now which need clocking, I now use a master clock for everything so it would be the second of your links.

I don't use a remote though.

Phil
Phil.c
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Dreamsequence » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:56 am

Great! Thanks for the advice.

Pat
Dreamsequence

Return to d8b Forum