Change font size   Print view

DIO-8 in ALT slot

Discussion board for Mackie's d8b Digital Console users.

DIO-8 in ALT slot

Postby AustinJeep10 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi,
planning to use a DIO-8 card (with V2 eeprom) in the ALT slot for adding 8 extra I/O's via ADAT from an external AD unit,
hopefully with mic pre's in it.

So reading some posts on ALT usage, these 8 inputs/outputs from the ALT slot will not have any d8b DSP, EQ, or Fat channel on them, right ? they are basically plain as-is.

Is anybody using a DIO-8 on ALT slot and what type of external AD & mic pre unit are you using ?

I clock my d8b 5.1 with the Apogee clock card from Word clock driven by my DAW PC's RME DIGI9652 card.
RME is master, d8B is slave. With this scheme, how can I provide word clock to the target device connected to my ALT DIO-8 without having to buy a Word clock distribution box, can the ALT DIO-8 forward the Apogee's received Word clock
(from DAW) onward to the external AD connected by ADAT to ALT slot ?

I guess I could also use the DIO-8 in ALT slot as an ADAT fx send/rcv to a QuadraVerb V2 or some similar ADAT fx unit ?

cheers
David
AustinJeep10

Re: DIO-8 in ALT slot

Postby Crash » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 pm

AustinJeep10 wrote:Hi,
planning to use a DIO-8 card (with V2 eeprom) in the ALT slot for adding 8 extra I/O's via ADAT from an external AD unit,
hopefully with mic pre's in it.

So reading some posts on ALT usage, these 8 inputs/outputs from the ALT slot will not have any d8b DSP, EQ, or Fat channel on them, right ? they are basically plain as-is.

Is anybody using a DIO-8 on ALT slot and what type of external AD & mic pre unit are you using ?

I clock my d8b 5.1 with the Apogee clock card from Word clock driven by my DAW PC's RME DIGI9652 card.
RME is master, d8B is slave. With this scheme, how can I provide word clock to the target device connected to my ALT DIO-8 without having to buy a Word clock distribution box, can the ALT DIO-8 forward the Apogee's received Word clock
(from DAW) onward to the external AD connected by ADAT to ALT slot ?

I guess I could also use the DIO-8 in ALT slot as an ADAT fx send/rcv to a QuadraVerb V2 or some similar ADAT fx unit ?

cheers
David

Here is my high tech Word Clock distro unit:

I am using an old Apogee AD8000 (Also the WC master) with a DIO.8 card but I use it in the HDR side of the equation. I go TDIF out of the the Apogee and hit the in of the card,where I then can go out Optical to the d8b tape returns. I use an AIO.8 in my ALT slot of the console to feed and return all of my outboard comps. There is a multitude of ways to go.
Crash
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: DIO-8 in ALT slot

Postby anyhorizon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:31 pm

You could also apply some of the principles outlined here.

Peter
In the scheme of things, there isn't one... just chaos.
anyhorizon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Location: Down under or up over, depending on where in space you are.

Return to d8b Forum